Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rerouting Due to Schedule Change?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Rerouting Due to Schedule Change?

I have a flight in April for which the scheduled departure has been pushed back 45 minutes from the departure at purchase.

An alternative connecting flight (going through LGA) would be more convenient for me than the nonstop on which I am booked.

What magnitude of schedule do you think is reasonable before one insists on AA's making a no-cost change? I have spoken with AA and they are willing to rebook -- but only for a significant fee.

Thanks for your insight.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:00 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by observer
I have a flight in April for which the scheduled departure has been pushed back 45 minutes from the departure at purchase.

An alternative connecting flight (going through LGA) would be more convenient for me than the nonstop on which I am booked.

What magnitude of schedule do you think is reasonable before one insists on AA's making a no-cost change? I have spoken with AA and they are willing to rebook -- but only for a significant fee.

Thanks for your insight.
They should not charge you any fee, they changed the schedule not you. The reasonable amount of change is any chance that makes the flights you got inconvenient vs the flights you selected.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan

Thanks for your insight.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528416

read my reply, post #4
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
You should have no problem changing the flight; I've had this happen a number of times with no hassle at all.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
You should have no problem changing the flight; I've had this happen a number of times with no hassle at all.

Thanks. I will try again with another agent. The PLT agent with whom I spoke yesterday said that the change would result in a $300+ fee. Interestingly, the entire roundtrip priced at less than $300 on aa.com.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:50 pm

Thanks. I will try again with another agent. The PLT agent with whom I spoke yesterday said that the change would result in a $300+ fee. Interestingly, the entire roundtrip priced at less than $300 on aa.com.
Out of curiosity, does the connecting flight you want now get in earlier or later than the original non-stop or direct flight you were on? This may be why...
Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold

I'm also curious how the one stop in LGA is more convenient for you than the original nonstop that was pushed back by 45 minutes. I find it difficult to envision that the LGA connection could get you to your destination faster. Is convenience the true reason for this option or are you motivated by some other factor like the pursuit of additional miles or an additional segment? If so, you may need to consider how best to conceal that motivation to avoid getting static from AA.

With that said, I like the other posters have had almost no problem in securing a satisfactory replacement flight (or flights) without penalty following a unilateral schedule change by the carrier.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

The flight is PIT-ORD. I ticketed a 3:55 pm departure. The departure is now 4:40. I have a dinner in Chicago that evening, and this is cutting matters *very* close with a 5:14 instead of 4:30 arrival.

The next earliest flight PIT-ORD is 6 am. (It's a Saturday.) That's a grim time for a Saturday morning flight.

There is a 9:15 am PIT-LGA-ORD departure arriving at ORD at 1:15 or so. There is (as I recall) no other direct or connecting PIT-ORD service that Saturday between 9:15 am and 4:40.

Am I being unreasonable asking to be routed via LGA (to have three more hours of sleep and not be forced to the 6 am departure)?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Am I being unreasonable asking to be routed via LGA (to have three more hours of sleep and not be forced to the 6 am departure)?
Not at all based upon your explanation. I see no reason why AA should not accommodate you on the LGA connection so long as they have one seat available in coach (irrespective of fare or bucket) given the circumstances.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Call back and tell them the reason. They have been very willing to accomodate me when these things happen. Their schedule changes taking place 4/1 caused me to have to rebook an entire mileage run with multiple segments--they had no problem doing this. As one CSA told several years ago, the rebookings due to schedule changes are done by a computer that does not take other circumstances into consideration. So if there is a problem, they will almost always work to accomodate you.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:35 pm

Thanks fro the clarification on why the reroute with a connection. they should DEFINITELY accomodate you. Just keep trying to call back and see if they will switch it.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Friends

I made the original posting after a CSR told me it would cost $300+ to change my reservation.

Heartened by the responses on FT, I called again just now and without any pleading or whining I was changed to the PIT-LGA-ORD connection.

I really am not looking for more segements or miles (though I will not turn them down!). But the new schedule is much more reasonable, and I am pleased to have the change.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.