Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Get 10,000 Miles for Opening a Citibank Checking Account (Feb '06)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get 10,000 Miles for Opening a Citibank Checking Account (Feb '06)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by ingy
As far as linking your credit card, I did it about 2 hours after applying when I receive my "opened account" email that gave me the last four numbers of my ATM card in the upper right hand corner of the email.
Ingy-- I don't understand.

I have that email with the last 4 numbers. When I click "Account Servicing" and "Link Accounts to an ATM/Debit Card" it asks for an account number and account name (up to 3 each). Are you saying you merely entered 4 digits as the ATM account number???

Originally Posted by mister_blonde
1) can you sign up for this deal and then still take advantage of the citibank debit card offer? the way i understand it, you have to get a citi checking account for the big offer.
mister_blonde - Yes you can get another 4000 miles for this. After logging into your citi checking/savings accounts, you can click "Accounts" then "Change / Upgrade Your ATM / Debit Card." From there you'll see some links including the one you want:

How would you like to be rewarded? At Citibank you have a choice.

ThankYouSM Network
You'll get ThankYouSM Points each month that you have a checking account, a debit card, and at least one other Citibank product or service- see which ones are eligible.

• You can also get Points for PIN- and signature -based debit card purchases (the latter generates more points).
• Redeem Points for cruises, electronics, gift cards and more.
• No annual fee.

Enroll online

Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit Card

Earn AAdvantage® bonus miles whenever you use your debit card to make purchases. Here's how it works:

• Receive up to 4,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when you enroll.
• Get American Airlines AAdvantage® miles for signature-based debit card purchases.
• Choose either the Basic ($25/year) or Premium ($65/year) Plan.
• Basic offers 1 mile for every $2 spent; Premium offers 1 mile for every $1 spent.

Enroll online

Last edited by rrgg; Sep 20, 2006 at 10:25 pm
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:32 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
What exactly is "linking" your credit card to your checking account?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by ned
What exactly is "linking" your credit card to your checking account?
Irrelevant. It must be done to get the miles, and that's all I care about :-)

Maybe someone else can explain...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:12 pm

Been trying to follow this thread. So am i reading this right?

1. Open the account via the link and make a deposit? (rep said i can use a credit card... hmmm.. maybe a miles card?) This is supposed to be worth 10k miles?

2. I need to deposit $1500 to avoid montly finance charges or do direct deposit.

3. Do the AA/debit card selction for another 4k miles?

4. Why do i need to link my AA credit cards? Is that for the extra 4k deal or for the first 10k miles as well?

So all in all I can get 10k+4k+1.5k (charging my deposit to my AA card) out of opening a ez-checking account?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by cartman13
1. Open the account via the link and make a deposit? (rep said i can use a credit card... hmmm.. maybe a miles card?) This is supposed to be worth 10k miles?
Open via the link. I was told no initial deposit is required. I made a small one just in case.
2. I need to deposit $1500 to avoid montly finance charges or do direct deposit.
No. There's no minimum balance necessary to avoid monthly fees. The fees and minimum happen if you only open 1 account. They do not happen if you open the 2 accounts together in this offer (checking and savings).
3. Do the AA/debit card selction for another 4k miles?
Yes, that's optional. 2k miles for the $25 card. 4k for the $65 card.

4. Why do i need to link my AA credit cards? Is that for the extra 4k deal or for the first 10k miles as well?
You must link a Citi AA credit card to get the 10k. You'll get it 120 after you do this. It's not necessary for the 4k.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:02 pm
In memoriam

This seems like a sort of mediocre deal, at least compared to the 20K bonus for opening an AA credit card account with Citi. If you need a new account it may be okay. But, otherwise, opening a credit card account gets you twice the miles with almost no waiting and no deposits required. Less paperwork, too.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:08 pm

As mentioned, Citi says no deposit is required. Also opening this account will have less of an effect on your credit score than getting another MasterCard.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:10 pm
In memoriam

I don't know about that credit score stuff. I must have around thirty credit cards (mostly for the bonus miles) and don't seem to have any trouble getting more. Just got a new airline card a couple of weeks ago and am waiting for the miles to post.

Plus, I don't trust the banks on this. I got an account at Washington Mutual to get the advertised cash bonus. A year later, no bonus and a monthly charge for the "free" account. I may have to write yet another letter.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
How did you get approved so fast? Did you do this over the phone or online? I did it online and received an e-mail saying my application was being processed. I wonder what you did differently?

Originally Posted by jw713
Signed up & approved also...thanks for the heads-up!
Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:36 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by jimcoddington
How did you get approved so fast? Did you do this over the phone or online? I did it online and received an e-mail saying my application was being processed. I wonder what you did differently?
Sometimes depends on whether you have other credit card accounts with Citi, especially AA cards. If you are a "virgin" you will, assuming the excellent credit all Fters have, very likely get instant approval on line or on the phone.

If you already have one or more cards they will often want to check with you and reallocate your credit limit to cover the new card because a certain stated income under Citi's internal guidelines supports only a certain credit line which must be spread over the number of cards you have. So, if you have two cards and your income, in Citi's eyes (does a corporation have eyes?), allows a 20K credit line, you can have a limit of 2K on one card 18K on the other, or 10K each or whatever.

Very likely, the email you got means you can expect a call from Citi soon about how you want to allocate your credit line. Or, it may mean the computer got confused about your real address which the banks now have to somehow verify and they may call to do that.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Any ideas or suggestions?

I have both the Citi-AA personal and business credit card.

In the e-mail I received from Citi in regards to my application being processed, there was a phone number (800-321-CITI) to call to follow up on the status using your "application reference number".

I just got off the phone with Citi, and without any details, I was told I was denied in opening these two accounts: e-Savings & Regular Checking. I was told I would receive a letter in 7 to 10 business days letting me know why I was denied with a phone number I can call to ask any questions. I look forward to receiving this letter so I can call to inquire.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you, Jim

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Sometimes depends on whether you have other credit card accounts with Citi, especially AA cards. If you are a "virgin" you will, assuming the excellent credit all Fters have, very likely get instant approval on line or on the phone.

If you already have one or more cards they will often want to check with you and reallocate your credit limit to cover the new card because a certain stated income under Citi's internal guidelines supports only a certain credit line which must be spread over the number of cards you have. So, if you have two cards and your income, in Citi's eyes (does a corporation have eyes?), allows a 20K credit line, you can have a limit of 2K on one card 18K on the other, or 10K each or whatever.

Very likely, the email you got means you can expect a call from Citi soon about how you want to allocate your credit line. Or, it may mean the computer got confused about your real address which the banks now have to somehow verify and they may call to do that.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:10 pm
In memoriam

Could relate to credit problems (real or fraudulent--you may be a victim of ID theft if your credit has been good up 'til now).

Or Citi may have just messed up. Or there could be bad info about you or someone pretending to be you on Check Systems or another quasi credit reporting agency.

I would immediately (if you haven't done so already within the past year) order my three bureau reports. Info on how to do this is at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...reereports.htm (I think it is best to avoid doing this on the net and use the mailin option).

Once you have the reports look for accounts you didn't open. Once you have the Citi letter followup with them as to what the problem is and try to get them to correct and open the accounts.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by rrgg
mister_blonde - Yes you can get another 4000 miles for this. After logging into your citi checking/savings accounts, you can click "Accounts" then "Change / Upgrade Your ATM / Debit Card." From there you'll see some links including the one you want:
Thanks rrgg!!! You made my night! ^

This seems like a sort of mediocre deal, at least compared to the 20K bonus for opening an AA credit card account with Citi. If you need a new account it may be okay. But, otherwise, opening a credit card account gets you twice the miles with almost no waiting and no deposits required. Less paperwork, too.
I don't know... I disagree. Especially since the 20-25k CC bonus was pretty new. Last year or so, it was around 12k bonus miles. Or maybe I'm just mad b/c they only let me get one credit card
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:37 pm

...If you already have one or more cards they will often want to check with you and reallocate your credit limit to cover the new card ...... expect a call from Citi soon about how you want to allocate your credit line...
I think you're confused. He's asking about checking/savings application.

I disagree about your thought that is a mediocre deal. Yes, you get 20,000+ opening a credit card, but I can only open so many of those.

I also don't think 120 days is too long to wait for 10k! Have you seen March of the Penguins? The males sit on the egg with no food for 125 days. I think I can wait that long for some miles. :-)
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:52 pm
In memoriam

Repeat after me, I am not a penguin.

By the way, there really isn't much of a limit on how many AA cards you can get. Many threads (and my own experience) indicate that one may open and close many Citi accounts and get hundreds of thousands bonus miles for doing so. Why they do this is an open question, but it works.

Still 10K is 10K. I might even open one myself 'cause I need an ATM card I can use around the world.

By the way, in the movie, a lot of the penguins die. I refuse to die for miles, but will do a little paperwork.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.