Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holding on aa.com

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Holding on aa.com

I’m planning on flying on March 3rd, but my plans aren’t definite yet. I’ve been re-booking and holding each day a ticket to ensure the fare doesn’t change. Normally, I can hold a ticket at the fare price until midnight the following day. However, I just re-booked today and the reservation says it is on hold only until tonight at midnight.

The flight is for March 3rd, the only thing I can think of is that I’m within the 14 day window, is this correct? Within the 14 day window will they not let me hold this fare as long as normally?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
I've had the same thing happen in the past. Either because of a 14/21 day advance ticket or because the fare is expiring that day.
If you don't book it before midnight the fare WILL change.
At least you noticed as I have be burned in the past.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Ross0
I’m planning on flying on March 3rd, but my plans aren’t definite yet. I’ve been re-booking and holding each day a ticket to ensure the fare doesn’t change. Normally, I can hold a ticket at the fare price until midnight the following day. However, I just re-booked today and the reservation says it is on hold only until tonight at midnight.

The flight is for March 3rd, the only thing I can think of is that I’m within the 14 day window, is this correct? Within the 14 day window will they not let me hold this fare as long as normally?
Supposedly you can call AA RES after holding a ticket online and they will extend your time limit. I think this works better if you have status. The other poster is probably right about the fare having a 14-day advanced purchase requirement.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by tmas
Supposedly you can call AA RES after holding a ticket online and they will extend your time limit. I think this works better if you have status. The other poster is probably right about the fare having a 14-day advanced purchase requirement.
The holding period is automatically shortened by aa.com at the 7-, 14-, and 21- day windows. However, a phone call to aa.com web tech support will resolve the issue. AFAIK they will adjust this for anyone booking online, not just those with status. (It's not any different in principle than a similar reservation booked and held with an AA phone rep. Those are also afforded the typical 24+ hour period. It's just there's a fee involved when doing it that way.)
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:54 am
Original Poster

oh ok, I will try calling- thanks for the info.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:12 pm

I actually used this service last week. Only I didn't notice until the next day that aa.com had given me a 2 hour hold period instead of the 26 hours I expected. Imagine my shock when I clicked on the reservation online and it was marked "cancelled". After a moment of panic, I remembered that I could call the web tech #. Once they reinstated the reservation I immediately finished purchasing online. (It wasn't actually necessary to purchase it immediately, it was held until that evening, but I didn't trust myself not to mess up and forget. If I'd done that there would have been no one to call for help the following day. )
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
So are people saying that if a flight says in the fare rules that ticketing must be completed by day X, if we put it on hold in the evening of day X, AA web services will reinstate the hold and honor the previous fare?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

any way to read the specific fare rules once the reservation is on hold?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

just called AA web services, she said she was happy I caught that, they will honor it through tomorrow since I reserved it today, but the web system hasn't been updated to reflect their new policy which guarantees fares at prices when held (I thought this was always the case) she changed it in the system and now my account reflects the fare good through tomorrow.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by acf573
So are people saying that if a flight says in the fare rules that ticketing must be completed by day X, if we put it on hold in the evening of day X, AA web services will reinstate the hold and honor the previous fare?
At least so far as fare rules that require x-number days advance ticketing. (Which makes me wonder, are there any other kind?)
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
At least so far as fare rules that require x-number days advance ticketing. (Which makes me wonder, are there any other kind?)
Sometimes you can see in the rules that the ticket must be issued by say January 10 (which was the case for a ticket I bought). This generally has to do with fare sales and is independent of any advance purchase requirement. Of course, most of the time they aren't so helpful in giving advance notice as to when prices are going to go up... I've noticed this primarily on AA.com-only specials.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by acf573
Sometimes you can see in the rules that the ticket must be issued by say January 10 (which was the case for a ticket I bought). This generally has to do with fare sales and is independent of any advance purchase requirement.
I don't know if those fares would be reinstated. It's an interesting question, though. I hope someone else has the asnwer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.