Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why AA is not as good as SQ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Why AA is not as good as SQ

I'm writing this post from a Singapore Airlines flight from Singapore to Frankfurt using the onboard wireless internet connection. I'm sitting in J and the FA's are falling over themselves trying to serve me. The purser came by and put a pillow behind my head and brought some caviar from FC for me to snack on with my vintage champagne. I had the veal osso bucco (one of my favorite meals) for our "snack". I think I'll have the lobster for dinner before we land.

I'm done with my emails and now I think I'll chose from one of 60 movies on demand to watch. After that I'll recline my seat to flat and sleep.

AA really sucks.

Last edited by millionmiler; Feb 14, 2006 at 4:36 am
Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:51 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by millionmiler
AA really sucks.
While AA's service these days leaves A LOT to be desired and there is substantial room for improvement, what really "sucks" are the appalling SQ hiring practices governing cabin crew employment, and the 1950's era Singapore labor laws.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by studio76
While AA's service these days leaves A LOT to be desired and there is substantial room for improvement, what really "sucks" are the appalling SQ hiring practices governing cabin crew employment, and the 1950's era Singapore labor laws.

Thanks for the political commentary. I think I'll have another glass of wine now...
Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Thanks for the political commentary. I think I'll have another glass of wine now...
Have one for me too
Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:44 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by Mateo4321
Have one for me too
For me too...

Maybe AA should help invade Singapore to implement better US labor laws and replace alll Singapore Airlines staff with old FA who can' help in an emergency. Then in five years time when SQ files for chapter 11, AA cna take over thier routes...

(THIS IS SARCASM )
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:29 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Well thank you for stating the obvious. For that matter, no US carrier is as good as SQ. It would be more appropriate to compare SQ with CX since they are in the same league. Most US carriers are ranked as 3 star airlines, Jet Blue, Fronteir, and Midwest are rank at 4 stars, and only 4 airlines are ranked at 5 stars: SQ, CX, MH, and QR. Source: http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/ranking.htm
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:34 am

How long do you think Singapore would last if they started domestic service withing the US?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tango
How long do you think Singapore would last if they started domestic service withing the US?
The question is not how long SQ would last, but how long the US competition would last.

The US Goverment is protecting domestic traffic rights like crazy , because they are very well aware that some airlines would be interested ( at least ) flying the lucrative transcons , especially as direct flights from their home countries

So indeed SQ, CX or EK, but also EL AL would make it even worse for the US competition...

To answer the original question, you do not compare a Chevy with a Porsche or some burger joint with Alain Ducasse. AA is catering to the demand of the US flying public and they want fares as low as possible...

Last edited by Threy; Feb 14, 2006 at 8:18 am
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:10 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Is any airline as good as SQ?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Threy has some good insights - but one needs to look at the cultural framework as well. For better and or worse. The US (and Australia, for instance,) do not have cultures that promote the type of slavish service SQ can provide as a matter of course, and as has been pointed out, the US would not tolerate the kind of unfair labor practices (patently illegal under US laws) SQ follows. Enjoy!
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Threy has some good insights - but one needs to look at the cultural framework as well. For better and or worse. The US (and Australia, for instance,) do not have cultures that promote the type of slavish service SQ can provide as a matter of course, and as has been pointed out, the US would not tolerate the kind of unfair labor practices (patently illegal under US laws) SQ follows. Enjoy!
Maybe some of our more "mature" members can comment, but I remember traveling in the early 70's as a child. This was when FA's were required to be under 30 and single (or something along those lines). The US carriers' service was pretty darn good at the time with the notable exception of NW. Unfortunately, I never flew on AA because they didn't serve Seattle until after deregulation. However, UA and CO were excellent. Braniff was the BEST (steak between SEA and DFW and very child-friendly FA's).
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by studio76
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by formeraa
Maybe some of our more "mature" members can comment, but I remember traveling in the early 70's as a child. This was when FA's were required to be under 30 and single (or something along those lines). The US carriers' service was pretty darn good at the time with the notable exception of NW. Unfortunately, I never flew on AA because they didn't serve Seattle until after deregulation. However, UA and CO were excellent. Braniff was the BEST (steak between SEA and DFW and very child-friendly FA's).
Of course you're comparing today with the before time. The long, long ago. The pre-deregulation era. During that time, airlines were told where they could fly, how often and what they could charge. With those decisions out of their hands, the airlines had no choice but to compete on service and, with the government established fares being high, they had the money with which to offer that service. Of course, air travel was out of the reach of the vast majority of the population.

The old days soind nice, but we are all better off as a result of deregulation (well, everyone except airline employees).
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tango
I think that would be hilarious.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:43 am

I'm writing this post from a Singapore Airlines flight from Singapore to Frankfurt using the onboard wireless internet connection. I'm sitting in J and the FA's are falling over themselves trying to serve me. The purser came by and put a pillow behind my head and brought some caviar from FC for me to snack on with my vintage champagne. I had the veal osso bucco (one of my favorite meals) for our "snack". I think I'll have the lobster for dinner before we land.

I'm done with my emails and now I think I'll chose from one of 60 movies on demand to watch. After that I'll recline my seat to flat and sleep.

AA really sucks.
Comparing any american carrier with SQ is like comparing your life with Prince Charles'.

Maybe you can just go and fly SQ for all the flights you need. What's that? They don't go everywhere you want to go?..........................................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.