Search

B fares: What are they used for?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
B fares: What are they used for?

I have had a lot of trouble finding B fares, and have seen many posters saying that you need to call to check for them. Is this the fare used for RTW fares booked in economy? It seems to be as hard to find as paid A class on a three-class a/c. However, EF always has that code listed, so it must be available somewhere.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
I have had a lot of trouble finding B fares, and have seen many posters saying that you need to call to check for them. Is this the fare used for RTW fares booked in economy? It seems to be as hard to find as paid A class on a three-class a/c. However, EF always has that code listed, so it must be available somewhere.
All you do is call AA and ask for the -B- fare on any given route/date.

Have you done that?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not all routes have B fares available for sale. No, they are not the class for economy RTW fares. Those book in L.

What are B fares used for? Cheaper alternatives to Y.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
All you do is call AA and ask for the -B- fare on any given route/date.

Have you done that?

I actually did that for several trips, and never found a domestic B fare. The only time I have seen one is when there was a schedule change, and AA rebooked me on a B fare.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:35 pm
Suspended

I actually did that for several trips, and never found a domestic B fare. The only time I have seen one is when there was a schedule change, and AA rebooked me on a B fare.
Well, there ya' go. On some routes there are -B- fares, on some there aren't. There's not much reason to seek one out in your case.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well, there ya' go. On some routes there are -B- fares, on some there aren't. There's not much reason to seek one out in your case.

If work sends me on transcons, the only domestics I upgrade using miles, and will buy coach tix, then it's worth considering. At that point, the miles spent on the upgrade don't outnumber the the miles earned (when I get my PLT back). And, I can't always get YUPs (and would feel guilty doing it if B fares are available).
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:31 pm
Suspended

If work sends me on transcons, the only domestics I upgrade using miles, and will buy coach tix, then it's worth considering. At that point, the miles spent on the upgrade don't outnumber the the miles earned (when I get my PLT back). And, I can't always get YUPs (and would feel guilty doing it if B fares are available).
Honestly. I don't think you really are familiar, at all, with how much -B- fares, where available, actually cost-- I've seen you massively misstate the costs of -B- fares before-- they are very expensive as a general rule. I also don't understand what you think the advantages are in your case-- what, exactly, do you think they do for you?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Honestly. I don't think you really are familiar, at all, with how much -B- fares, where available, actually cost-- I've seen you massively misstate the costs of -B- fares before-- they are very expensive as a general rule. I also don't understand what you think the advantages are in your case-- what, exactly, do you think they do for you?

I have seen them under $1,200 to Europe. I guess I thought that they were all similarly positioned next to the comparable Y fares. I guess I must be massively mistaken. But, hey, I've said it before, I'll be the last to admit that I'm wrong .
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:43 pm

B class fares are the lowest economy fares that can be upgraded using miles at the full fare economy rate (fewer miles and no co-pay to upgrade). They also tend to be the cheapest fares that are very flexible.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:51 pm
Suspended

I have seen them under $1,200 to Europe. I guess I thought that they were all similarly positioned next to the comparable Y fares. I guess I must be massively mistaken. But, hey, I've said it before, I'll be the last to admit that I'm wrong .
You were--both last time you posted it and this time-- -B- fares to Europe are generally about $900 (and up) each way.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=bos-lhr

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 9, 2006 at 3:22 pm
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
B class fares are the lowest economy fares that can be upgraded using miles at the full fare economy rate (fewer miles and no co-pay to upgrade). They also tend to be the cheapest fares that are very flexible.
They are also great on int'l routes where your trip does not have a Sat night stay or where you are not booking far in advance. In those cases, the cheapest coach fare is usually an H fare wich is one below the B fare. But the difference between the B and H is sometmes less than the $250 co-pay to upgrade an H fare but does not exist with a B fare. This is where it really pays to know the difference in price between and H and a B fare. But you'll never be given a B fare as an option on AA.com. The B fare can sometimes be cheaper, on a total cost basis, if you are upgrading with miles and don't qualify for fares below H.

Also, they are consdered "full fare coach" so you get 1.5 EQPs instead of 1.0 on the H fare.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:59 pm
Suspended

I'm a huge fan of -B- fares-- especially to South America and I've posted about them many times.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362730
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438875
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439361

I think I know a thing or two on the subject.

And, there have been numerous other occasions when I've pointed out the benefit of specific, international -B- fares to members here-- pointing out that the saving of 50,000 miles and $500 makes the fare difference (if any) minimal (especially considering extra Q-points and flexibility.)

But re-read the OP and tell me what a -B- fare can do for this poster.

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 9, 2006 at 3:09 pm
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
B fares are great- I had one for JFK-LHR-MAD-LHR-CVG-IAD for about $1700. Upgraded to J (well, C) on both transatlantic segments. I always look for these fares when I fly internationally.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:19 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, I can't always get YUPs (and would feel guilty doing it if B fares are available).
I've seen YUPS cheaper than Bs.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
But re-read the OP and tell me what a -B- fare can do for this poster.
What can a B fare can do for the poster...well, in cases where the poster is flying transcons and there are no YUP fares available (yes, this can be the case in some markets)....the poster saves 20,000 AA miles by upgrading a B fare instead of a lower fare (if available). The OP stated they like this as they are now earning as many miles as they are spending on the trip.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Feb 9, 2006 at 6:58 pm Reason: To remove unnecessary commentary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.