FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Fares up on the DFW/DAL/STL routes... and probably others as well... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/521156-fares-up-dfw-dal-stl-routes-probably-others-well.html)

ja_user Feb 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by ProTexana
Yeah, that is what I've seen too. Do you think AA will lower fares to fill the seats or just write them off as a loss? When # crew > # pax, we have a problem!

They certainly haven't been on the offensive with this compain. Most people in MCI don't know AA flies to DAL. And there fares have not been news worthy. At most it has been, WN flies cheap to Dallas AA matches

WRCSolberg Feb 14, 2006 9:13 pm

Yeah, that is what I've seen too. Do you think AA will lower fares to fill the seats or just write them off as a loss? When # crew > # pax, we have a problem!

I don't think lowering prices is going to fill those planes, sadly.

swag Feb 14, 2006 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by ja_user
No match as of yet? I don't think it will happen. I really don't think AA will drop much lower than $138. MCI-DFW especially, this is a major feeder route to everywhere else. And MCI-DAL still looks vacant at those prices.

AA has been strictly reactive to WN since this battle was joined.

They won't match Ding fares, but they do match the regular WN 3 day sales. We'll see $98 RT DAL/DFW-STL several more times before Memorial Day, I think, matching WN's periodic $49 one ways.

ja_user Feb 14, 2006 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I don't think lowering prices is going to fill those planes, sadly.

Although lower prices to get the short term volume, may be cheaperthan having an entire Metro area not realize flying to DAL is possible on your airline. Those empty planes aren't making money, and you know they will keep flying them empty for a long time if they have to.

WRCSolberg Feb 14, 2006 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by ja_user
Although lower prices to get the short term volume, may be cheaperthan having an entire Metro area not realize flying to DAL is possible on your airline. Those empty planes aren't making money, and you know they will keep flying them empty for a long time if they have to.

The only problem with AA serving DAL is, they're going to have to rely on O&D traffic. No one is going to fly to DAL and hop a ride to DFW to connect, when the price is the same. WN has the limited capability to connect at least.

It's one giant pissing match between AA and WN.

gemac Feb 15, 2006 12:58 am

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
The only problem with AA serving DAL is, they're going to have to rely on O&D traffic. No one is going to fly to DAL and hop a ride to DFW to connect, when the price is the same. WN has the limited capability to connect at least.

It's one giant pissing match between AA and WN.

I never have been able to figure out why AA would want to fly into DAL. It seems like the only connections they could feed would be WN's. It makes much more sense to me for WN to try to get into DFW. I think AA is just so scared of WN that they aren't thinking.

ProTexana Feb 16, 2006 10:06 am

DING! Gemac was right, AA has lowered fares. MCI and STL are $98 all-in now...

gemac Feb 16, 2006 10:45 am

DAL/DFW-STL/MCI is at $82+ for March, goes back up in April. $98 all-in to DAL, $4 more to DFW. If you are traveling in March, time to book. If you are flying in April or May, no need to hurry. You can do 3 of these in a day (7 A.M.-8 P.M.). 6 in a weekend for $588. 73692 miles if you get 100% bonus and charge on miles-earning CC, less than $0.008/mile.

AAJetMan Feb 16, 2006 10:46 am

Originally Posted by swag
AA has been strictly reactive to WN since this battle was joined.

They won't match Ding fares, but they do match the regular WN 3 day sales. We'll see $98 RT DAL/DFW-STL several more times before Memorial Day, I think, matching WN's periodic $49 one ways.

I was VERY pleased w/ the two $82++ (same day return) I ticketed on AA.com last night DFW/STL!!!!! ^ :)

ProTexana Feb 16, 2006 11:48 am

Originally Posted by gemac
DAL/DFW-STL/MCI is at $82+ for March, goes back up in April. $98 all-in to DAL, $4 more to DFW. If you are traveling in March, time to book. If you are flying in April or May, no need to hurry. You can do 3 of these in a day (7 A.M.-8 P.M.). 6 in a weekend for $588. 73692 miles if you get 100% bonus and charge on miles-earning CC, less than $0.008/mile.

I'm going to book today for March travel.

Quick question. Do you all think it is better to use DAL or DFW for this? With DAL, it is likely to be the same plane going back and forth and there will be no need to catch Skylink. The advantages to DFW, though, are higher flight frequency and more food options, as I see it. Your thoughts?

gemac Feb 16, 2006 3:49 pm

I'm going to book today for March travel.

Quick question. Do you all think it is better to use DAL or DFW for this? With DAL, it is likely to be the same plane going back and forth and there will be no need to catch Skylink. The advantages to DFW, though, are higher flight frequency and more food options, as I see it. Your thoughts?

When we do something like this, we like to pack the meal that they should serve in F, but don't. We pack white linen napkins to use as tablecloths, and the best (cold) food we can find. Then we watch the other poor stiffs in coach drool. :D It isn't like we have a lot of other stuff taking up room in our carryons.

sonora Feb 16, 2006 3:53 pm

Well, they've certainly captured the Mileage Runners. But have they made dent in the Business travellers as well?

gemac Feb 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by sonora
Well, they've certainly captured the Mileage Runners. But have they made dent in the Business travellers as well?

From AA's point of view, this is defensive, not offensive. They already had the business travelers. How many will defect to WN? I would think not many.

Who will want to fly from MCI or STL into DAL?
1. People who want to connect to AA flights to AUS or SAT, and don't want to do it through DFW.
2. People who want to connect onward on WN.
3. People who terminate at DAL, and find DAL more convenient than DFW.

I would think (1) is pretty small, (2) will fly WN for baggage reasons, so that leaves (3).

Personally, I think AA is overreacting to this challenge from WN, but they have been down this same road before, and I haven't, so I'm willing to admit that they probably know about 20 times as much as I do.

ja_user Feb 16, 2006 5:21 pm

From AA's point of view, this is defensive, not offensive. They already had the business travelers. How many will defect to WN? I would think not many.

Who will want to fly from MCI or STL into DAL?
1. People who want to connect to AA flights to AUS or SAT, and don't want to do it through DFW.
2. People who want to connect onward on WN.
3. People who terminate at DAL, and find DAL more convenient than DFW.

I would think (1) is pretty small, (2) will fly WN for baggage reasons, so that leaves (3).

Personally, I think AA is overreacting to this challenge from WN, but they have been down this same road before, and I haven't, so I'm willing to admit that they probably know about 20 times as much as I do.

I do not want this to turn into one of those other threads that rambles on about the Wright Amendment. But why doesn't AA just start flying DAL-ORD in that 777. :) a few late night 777 landings nightly may be enough to get the neighbors to run all the airlines out of LUV.
Granted it would be a waste of a 777..... SO maybe just 3 of those MD-80's in the desert, could come back to do touch-n-go's, buzzing houses.....

Obviously, I don't live near LUV.

pkerr Feb 16, 2006 6:42 pm

Don't forget 10% off if you have the e-mail/coupon