Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canceled flight for medical reasons... refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Just check Citi's updated site and it appears that this benefit is no longer offered, i.e it was not on their page. If this is the case, I've got to really re-think this card.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I tore up my knee a couple years ago and had two future ski trips booked. I called AA (in a pain killer induced stupor) right away and they gave me a year to use the amount from the paid ticket and redeposited all my miles for the award ticket.

They didn't ask for any documentation although I could have provided it if asked.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aanalyst
Hey all,

I got a full refund (which I didn't think was going to be possible, as my understanding is 'I' fares can't be changed or refunded).

Just my experience!

Cheers, aanalyst.
I have an I fare to SDQ on hold and it is fully refundable and changeable 7 days prior to departure and fully after departure on the changes. They all depend really, and a reading of the rules is paramount.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by flymeAAway
... If I book on-line, hold the reservation and then call to have the tickets reissued- I can avoid the $30 in ticketing fees. I am holding a new trip for March. ...
As far as I know, unless you are EXP they will still assess the ticketing fee. The only method of payment AA.COM accepts is credit card or their "gift card." They have not reprogrammed their web site to accept travel voucher, unused tickets and the like. While you can still do all the work yourself, you will most likely get hit with the ticketing fee (since you cannot complete the ticketing yourself) AND loose the online booking bonus (... must be reserved AND ticketed through AA.COM...)

I know as a PLAT I was charged for this exact thing.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by jamflyer
Just check Citi's updated site and it appears that this benefit is no longer offered, i.e it was not on their page. If this is the case, I've got to really re-think this card.
I still see it listed as a benefit.
http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/car...t-svbenits.jsp
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by rrgg
Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:03 pm

Programs: aa plat in funkytown tx
aa usually doesnt give refunds for domestic flights. for some reason you can only get those on international flights with a dr note.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Update--- I just received new terms & conditions for a Citi Dividend Mastercard, and it includes Trip Cancellation/ Trip Interruption. I believe this is new, because I'd only ever seen it on the Citi AAdvantage World Mastercard.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Gotta love that a website refers a cardholder looking for details to a printed document that may not have been retained.
Old May 7, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Just to let you know, the AA MC Trip Insurance covers the air portion only. We had problems in March and ended up missing a cruise and it was not covered.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'm in the situation where I need to schedule surgery that will keep me out of the air for "up to" 3 months. My work tickets that I've prepaid for are not a problem but I do buy my transcon tickets to football games as soon as I see a good deal.. usually O fares... I purchase these either on my corp AX or on my Diners-Mastercard

Now I don't have to schedule surgery right today.. but it has to be done in the next couple of months so its not like I can wait until December.

does anyone know if DC or a Corp AX has any type of policy like that MC one listed in a prior post?

I obviously can get all the doctors notes that I need
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:53 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm in the situation where I need to schedule surgery that will keep me out of the air for "up to" 3 months. My work tickets that I've prepaid for are not a problem but I do buy my transcon tickets to football games as soon as I see a good deal.. usually O fares... I purchase these either on my corp AX or on my Diners-Mastercard

Now I don't have to schedule surgery right today.. but it has to be done in the next couple of months so its not like I can wait until December.

does anyone know if DC or a Corp AX has any type of policy like that MC one listed in a prior post?

I obviously can get all the doctors notes that I need
i don't know about the credit card. However, AA will allow reticketing of most non-refundable fares, with a (typically $100) change fee. So your prepaid tickets are not a total loss. In most cases you need to contact AA before scheduled departure time, or the ticket becomes worthless.

Also some fare rules may allow a refund in the event of "serious illness". It's not easy to find the fare rules after a rez is ticketed, but you can always call AA and ask.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
TrojanHorse, my experience is stale, but in 1994 and again in 2002 I obtained from AA a full cash refund of "non-refundable" international fares when I was hospitalized with a non-elective condition.

Of course I had canceled both by phone prior to the flight; but the first time it was only few hours before the scheduled departure, when I was packing and felt so rotten I decided to take my temp and found it to be over 103°. I made three phone calls - one to AA, another to the UK to cancel my LHR pickup, and to my doctor - who told me he would see me at the ER of his hospital - to which I took a taxi - instead of to JFK. I was there over a week.

In both instances I later simply wrote a letter to AA, enclosed the paper ticket or print-out of the electronic ticket, described the circumstances and included evidence of being hospitalized. I recall being advised to specifically request a full refund; and that is what I received as a credit on the card account. There was no written communication from AA.

I was at least Gold at the time of the first instance; but I don't think status was a factor. It is my understanding that such medical conditions are on a par with death in the immediate family in seeking relief in ticket cancellation situations.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by kappa; Jul 13, 2007 at 11:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.