Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEL-ORD 12/25 14+ hours late ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Question DEL-ORD 12/25 14+ hours late ?

Can anyone shed any light on why this flight is so remarkably late today ?
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:36 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The normal source of ExpertFlyer ...only is saying 'Auto Update' whatever that means.

Looks like someone else will need to get further into some system to find out the detail!
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I think there was a stopover at the North Pole to say hello--and thanks!--to Santa....
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Also late the day before with an 11pm instead of 5am ?
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Winter Fog in North India

Delhi and the entire northern India is enveloped by thick fog during winter months. It's affected my travel plans numerous times in the past.

I'm not an expert in ILS - but apparently the visibility gets bad enough to shut down the entire airport. They then divert incoming flights to Mumbai / other int'l airports - hold passengers there in hotels and bring 'em back the next day around noon-time - when there's lowest amounts of Fog.

If any of you are planning visits to DEL during the winter months, plan for extra days!!!

-R
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyupfront
I think there was a stopover at the North Pole to say hello--and thanks!--to Santa....
And pick up some late arriving Xbox 360s to ferry to Santa?
Old Dec 25, 2005, 4:47 pm

Diverted DEL Flight on CX Due to Fog

I flew CX HKG-DEL few years back which turned into an incredible journey. On the ground in HKG, the flight attendant spilled a TRAY of champaigne on my seatmate & me. Soaked (as were the seats, which we were able to change). After the 4-5 hour flight, we were unable to land in DEL due to fog, so diverted to another airport (NOT BOM, don't remember name). This airport was actually closed due to a civil uprising. No other planes (except India Air Force prop plane), airport & city locked down. We were on the runway with the door open for 2-3 hours. No provisioning, no exiting, just refueling with a tanker truck. (The city had just had a passenger train set afire!). Then we took off again (no food now), and flew back to DEL, but still too foggy to land, so on to BOM. Flight crew now illegal, so we overnighted but did NOT get our luggage. Hotel was nice, and nice to get a shower. But I had to change back into my champaigne soaked clothes. Quite an experience, and quite delayed my onward journey.

Last edited by MiamiPrep; Dec 25, 2005 at 4:48 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

BTW - I looked at the corresponding CO flights on these dates to EWR and one of the two late flights matches with AA flight . One doesn’t.

Somehow I am surprised to read here that the carrier is putting passengers into hotels when technically this is a weather related delay and not the carriers fault. My concern is that the flights are arriving back into ORD too late for my outbound connect to PHX. Also with a 1AM departure rescheduled to 4-5 PM the only logical move is to a hotel. I might not be a happy guy if I have to pick up another night in DEL and a night in ORD on my tab.

It begs the question – How would the group speculate about what AA is willing to cover for an EXP with wife using eVIPS ?
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by idainc
BTW - I looked at the corresponding CO flights on these dates to EWR and one of the two late flights matches with AA flight . One doesn’t.

Somehow I am surprised to read here that the carrier is putting passengers into hotels when technically this is a weather related delay and not the carriers fault. My concern is that the flights are arriving back into ORD too late for my outbound connect to PHX. Also with a 1AM departure rescheduled to 4-5 PM the only logical move is to a hotel. I might not be a happy guy if I have to pick up another night in DEL and a night in ORD on my tab.

It begs the question – How would the group speculate about what AA is willing to cover for an EXP with wife using eVIPS ?
Hotel accomodation is SOP for weather delays in DEL. I guess the N American habit of the pax pays hasn't made it that far.

Could AA jiggle the departure times to avoid the fog problems? CX, BA et al all do this.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:30 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MiamiPrep
I flew CX HKG-DEL few years back which turned into an incredible journey. On the ground in HKG, the flight attendant spilled a TRAY of champaigne on my seatmate & me. Soaked (as were the seats, which we were able to change).
I'm intensely curious about "able to change" the seats. Did they change the upholstery? The cushions? The entire seating unit? Or did they merely change the people's butts into different seats?
Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the good information. How late in the year does this climate state persist? I'm scheduled out Feb 27 (arriving the 28th) and returning Mar 19.

Originally Posted by gya007
Delhi and the entire northern India is enveloped by thick fog during winter months. It's affected my travel plans numerous times in the past.

I'm not an expert in ILS - but apparently the visibility gets bad enough to shut down the entire airport. They then divert incoming flights to Mumbai / other int'l airports - hold passengers there in hotels and bring 'em back the next day around noon-time - when there's lowest amounts of Fog.

If any of you are planning visits to DEL during the winter months, plan for extra days!!!

-R
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:40 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
If weather delays are common ...

Will AA stage a spare flight crew to support these diverted flights??

If ORD-DEL has to circle and then land someplace .. and wait for the fog to lift, the original flight crew will certainly be illegal almost immediately. Right?? So in order to get the Pax and plane back to DEL from BOM or ?? ... AA will have to have some sort of reserve crew available to ferry pax/plane back.....

I am wondering what the required rest times are for Cockpit and Cabin crew? Lets say flight leaves Monday arrives Tuesday at 9:35pm. Crew goes to hotel. I'm assuming they would both work the return on Thursday morning at 0:55am .. giving them about 26 hours rest time. I think that makes it legal ...

But if a flight delays/diverts I am wondering if AA has had to 'ship in' a crew deadhead to turn around immediately?? This may have been part of the cause for the major delay. I would THINK AA would position a spare crew in DEL for these known weather delays.

I know once flying YVR-HKG on CX we had to refuel in Taiwan and they additional delay was that they needed to shuttle in a fresh crew to complete the flight. Since we were airborne like 14 hours and they knew they needed to move a crew there (1+hours away in HKG) the fresh crew was ready and waiting. I cannot imagain the nightmare of getting legal crews to someplace like DEL where there is only daily service. (I bet in NRT/KIX/Japan there are a few spare crews on longer rotations ... to cover for delays).
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:13 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
February end should be fine (i think)

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for the good information. How late in the year does this climate state persist? I'm scheduled out Feb 27 (arriving the 28th) and returning Mar 19.
Hi JDiver,

I **think** you should be fine. Dec/Jan are typically the coldest in New-Delhi and Feb-end does start to get warm by Indian standards (hot by US standards) So i'd say no fog for you.

IMHO Feb-early March and November are probably the most pleasant times to visit Delhi / North India - it's not too hot yet and it's not very cold. Of-course check the official guides like Frommers and Lonely Planet too.

Good luck and hope you have a memorable trip! ^

-R
Old Dec 26, 2005, 4:00 am

We just returned the day before and had been delayed 18 hours from DEL into ORD. Delays are because of fog, so thick that you can only see 6 feet infront of you during some times of the night.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
TA!

We'll see what really happens as it happens. It promises to be a memorable trip in any case, and I tend to give myself a couple of days of "buffer" time and arrive early for scheduled holidays, etc. Thanks for the good wishes and information.

J

Originally Posted by gya007
Hi JDiver,

I **think** you should be fine. Dec/Jan are typically the coldest in New-Delhi and Feb-end does start to get warm by Indian standards (hot by US standards) So i'd say no fog for you.

IMHO Feb-early March and November are probably the most pleasant times to visit Delhi / North India - it's not too hot yet and it's not very cold. Of-course check the official guides like Frommers and Lonely Planet too.

Good luck and hope you have a memorable trip! ^

-R

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.