Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Change Advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver; Hilton Silver
Question Flight Change Advice

I'm a Platinum member and am looking to change the time of flights I have already booked on Sat January 6th from SJU (to IAD via MIA) to later in the day. I tried calling Plat Customer Service and let's just say the CSR wasn't exactly very accomodating. The best she could offer are changes that including the change fee exceeding new one-way tickets (which I had to research on my own) by $50 each. What are my options here? I could consider risking trying to make my flight that day (10:30 departure) in which my cruise is scheduled to disembark around 6 (meaning we may not get off the boat til 8/8:30 at earliest) and then changing that day....??

FlyerTalk, you're my only hope...
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:28 pm

First of all you should have no problem making flight--cruise pier is not that far from airport.
Also if the ship docks at 6:30 sometimes you can even be off at 7am.
Also there is a flight 30 minutes after your scheduled flight to Miami--but I doubt you will need it.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:35 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If it looks like you won't make the flight, call 'em that day. Decide if you want to go standby on a later flight for free, or "same day confirmed" for $25.

IME the only reason you'd pay the $25 is if you have a shot at an upgrade. Otherwise you might as well pocket the $25. They'll only "$25 confirm" you if they have plenty of available seats. Under those conditions, you would get on the flight standby.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver; Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
If it looks like you won't make the flight, call 'em that day. Decide if you want to go standby on a later flight for free, or "same day confirmed" for $25.

IME the only reason you'd pay the $25 is if you have a shot at an upgrade. Otherwise you might as well pocket the $25. They'll only "$25 confirm" you if they have plenty of available seats. Under those conditions, you would get on the flight standby.

Enjoy your cruise!
I appreciate the optimism guys!! From everything I've read over at Cruisecritic...no one gets off the boats until 8 at the very earliest. Perhaps if my VZ Wireless works from the boat, I'd be able to call to make the same day change if I see that it's looking slow going. But I wonder what the seat inventory is looking like going back that day.... From the relatively "cheap" fares available for 1-way on an array of flights, it seems like they're not close to being fully booked as of today.

Perhaps I shall risk it! (says the conservative CPA...!!)
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Make sure your cruise line knows what time your flight leaves. When my husband and I took a cruise (on Princess) a few months ago, they made sure to put people with earlier flights in earlier disembarkation groups. We docked at 7 AM; some people were off as early as 7:30, while others didn't get off till almost lunchtime.

If something does go horribly wrong day-of, just call AA as soon as you can to explain. They're usually more than willing to accomodate if you miss your flight. (The exception would be if you're traveling during a crazy-busy time of year, such as, say, tomorrow , when they wouldn't have much standby room. But it sounds like that's not the case)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.