News story: Wine pro stocks bottles for frequent fliers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 1:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
News story: Wine pro stocks bottles for frequent fliers

He searches the world to stock American's cellars in the sky

In coach class, wine comes in plastics cups, poured from little screw-top bottles.

But for those holding premium tickets on American Airlines, in-flight wine service is intended to inspire.

The Fort Worth-based carrier maintains 15 different wine lists for passengers in first and business class, specially selected for various routes. At any given time, "we have more than 60 wines in service and another 60 queued," said Dr. Richard Vine, who has spent the last 20 years as American's wine consultant.

full article in Dallas Morning News
Old Dec 17, 2005, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
What a great story! Even though I only drink my club soda, I've always thought it was hilarious that they had a wine expert named Dr. Vine. I remember thinking is he for real or what??

Please see my latest photo trip report:
Yokoso Japan! A comprehensive review of AA's trans-Pacific J service (IAD-LAX-NRT-JFK) with 400+ photos and 30 videos

CharlesMD.com: Celebrating American Airlines, the best airline on earth!
Old Dec 17, 2005, 5:10 am
gmc

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond
That's a fun story.

(Welcome back, CharlesMD )
Old Dec 17, 2005, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks for the link. Good read!

Now if they'd only do something about the Scotch whisky situation. Having nothing but Glenlivet is the single-malt equivalent of a wine list that has nothing on it but two-buck Chuck. Better than nothing, but they need a Dr. Barley to go along with their Dr. Vine!
Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Perhaps the best quote from the article:

If you're onboard American in business or first, you're going to get a very drinkable wine. That's not true for some of the other domestic carriers.
- Anthony Dias Blue, author of Anthony Dias Blue's Pocket Guide to Wine 2006 and Singapore Airlines' wine buyer for the last 16 years.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Rather Inopportune Time For Article....

It seems very odd that they choose this time to publish this article about wines on AA.......

Just 2 months ago AA did away with the Perrier-Jouet Cuvee Belle Epoque that's served in F (a decent, but not overly impressive selection, IMO, compared to CX's Krug Grand Cuvee) and quietly substituted 2-3 notches below quality selection of Pommery NV......

AA used to have one of the best wine lists in J as they use the same wines in F for J, but now sadly, it can only be said AA uses the same selections in J for F!

IMO, UA officially has better wine selections in F than AA on international routes.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
FTCLU - still laughing my a*s off
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:00 pm

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT
Oye - GlenMorangie!

Originally Posted by Efrem
Thanks for the link. Good read!

Now if they'd only do something about the Scotch whisky situation. Having nothing but Glenlivet is the single-malt equivalent of a wine list that has nothing on it but two-buck Chuck. Better than nothing, but they need a Dr. Barley to go along with their Dr. Vine!

Yep - gotta agree there; big Glen Morangie fan here; got "turned on" to it on my 32nd birthday (at least a decade ago) :-), at a pub in Windsor, UK - and never went back to Chivas Regal.

Sad to say - I know of few airlines (at least one world carriers), that have carried GM on my flights.

(time for a GM and stogie now too!)
Old Dec 18, 2005, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by tismfu
Perhaps the best quote from the article:

If you're onboard American in business or first, you're going to get a very drinkable wine. That's not true for some of the other domestic carriers.
He forgot the part about it being served in a small shot-glass at 38 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jkc22
It seems very odd that they choose this time to publish this article about wines on AA.......

Just 2 months ago AA did away with the Perrier-Jouet Cuvee Belle Epoque that's served in........
Wha, wha, wha?? The "fleur" as Perrier-Jouet Belle is sometimes referred to, was a very welcome bottle whenever I flew internationally. Mrs. Pizza and I killed two bottles on the way to London last time. Most of the other wines are either shrek or very average. Very bAAd move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.