Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question re Flight Attendants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2005, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Question re Flight Attendants

Does AA require FAs regarding weight (considering height) and does AA have grooming requirements for the FAs? Is there a maximum age beyond which they cannot fly?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Ok, you posted your rant last week. Are you now going to repeat each thought in a different thread? You're now up to three.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:00 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Guess some people look at the glass as always almost empty. A constantly negative attitude is infectuous to others around these type of people.

Would certainly hate to be 10# overweight and 5 years older than lulu thinks appropriate and be a co-worker. But then again ... I could be really lucky and be the client!

Blumie you have a good memory! Reading the prior posts makes me want to laugh even more! I wonder if the fat fat seat companion used his cell phone after the doors close if lulu would report him??

Cannot wait for some of our more sharp tongued members to check in on this one!
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Ok, you posted your rant last week. Are you now going to repeat each thought in a different thread? You're now up to three.
The original post was removed because it was deemed a trip report and no questions were asked (as I was advised was required) so I thought I'd ask the questions. I sincerely hope you don't have a problem with my questions.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Once upon a time, in the bad old days, FAs were required to maintain strict weight standards, wear girdles and nylon hose, be single and without children, etc.

Today, what matters is whether they can perform the job - operate all the safety equipment, evacuate an aircraft in the mandated time, provide first aid (including AED operation.) They are regularly tested on these criteria.

Pilots gave the pantry away - they agreed to a 60 year ceiling, at least those who fly pax aircraft, in spite of stringent physicals every six months and rigorous check-rides. Their unuons felt this would make for better mobility into the jumbo left seat, and the airlines felt they would be able to avoid paying folks in the highest wage bracket by retiring them. Great way to lose some great and experienced pilots is what it turned out to be... but anyway:

Who would you rather have on your cabin crew in an emrgency? Single under-35s who look good ("I'm Karen - fly me" days) or people who can get the job done? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; competence is measurable.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by lulu44
Does AA require FAs regarding weight (considering height) and does AA have grooming requirements for the FAs? Is there a maximum age beyond which they cannot fly?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
Welcome back, JD.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Gold, Hertz
Originally Posted by JDiver
Who would you rather have on your cabin crew in an emrgency? Single under-35s who look good ("I'm Karen - fly me" days) or people who can get the job done? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; competence is measurable.

Cheers.
Completely LOVE this statement - and I agree with it.

Also, glad to see your back - I have missed your posts JDiver!
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:13 pm

Cheers.
That all depends on if I am on a trip with my wife or not.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

A long time ago, I chatted with an AA FA about this kind of issue.. she said that what prevents certain kinds of people are mainly physical limitations. That is, if an FA cannot buckle a seatbelt completely or close the overhead bin, then they don't make the cut.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:08 pm

Thanks for that, JD!
Old Dec 11, 2005, 8:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM
Good FAs come in all varieties

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
You forgot to include if they have a limit on blacks, gays, and various religions as well.
Last week I flew a Mid-con (in F) where we had a very competent gay FA. Even with all of the service cutbacks, it's good see that that some people still have some pride.

Oh, and yes, I recognize that wasn't the intent of your comment.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 8:23 am
Suspended

Who would you rather have on your cabin crew in an emrgency? Single under-35s who look good ("I'm Karen - fly me" days) or people who can get the job done?
I'll take "Karen".
Old Dec 11, 2005, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
After many years of work with National, then with Pan Am after the buyout, she retired and now lives in the Lower Punxswataney Old Folks home. But, I hear she still is single and looking...

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I'll take "Karen".
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I'll take "Karen".
Tell me more about "Karen".

Kind of reminds me of the show Mile High on BBC America...great British trash TV.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 10:00 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
A combination of both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.