Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Business" class service to Caribbean?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisw
Putting the former 767 J seats into the A300's would result in some pretty wide aisles as the 767 seats are quite narrower than the the A300 seats. The 767's interior cabin diameter is 184", while the A300's is 220" -- The airbus is 29" wider. Adding almost 15" to each aisle would be a bit much, IMO.

Also, unless with the J/F pitch on the A300, the 767 seats would need to have their recline and footrests substantially restricted as well.
Not exactly.

According to Boeing, the 767 has an interior cabin width of 186 inches, while according to Airbus, the A300-600 has a max interior width of 208 inches.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/767...technical.html

http://www.airbus.com/en/aircraftfam...fications.html

The A300 is 22 inches wider than the 767. But both airplanes feature 2x2x2 seating up front with seats that are comparably sized: AA lists the 763 J seats at 18.5 inches wide and says the A300 F (J) seats are 19.5 inches wide. It's not like the A300 can support 2x3x2 (at least not with normal J width seats), so slightly narrower seats don't impact the economics at all.

The A300 already features aisles that are significantly wider up front than does the 763. The 763 J seats would add a meager 3 inches to each aisle (extra six inches divided by two aisles).

I agree that the 763 seats are narrow. So are the F seats on the A300.

If we want to wait longer for the never-to-happen A300 seat upgrade, then the 777 J seats would also fit - AA says they are 20 inches wide, which would reduce the A300 aisle width by 1.5 inches on each side. But the 777s aren't scheduled to begin getting new J seats until sometime in 2007.

About the seat pitch - my post was premised on removing the coach seats forward of the 2L door (if necessary), which would free up plenty of room for at least 12 J seats at nearly 60 inches of pitch, and maybe even 18 seats at something a little tighter (like 50 inches).
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:11 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Ewr-sju

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would pose my question in this thread as it is most relevant.

Wife and I are flying EWR-SJU-PUJ roundtrip in March. EWR-SJU segments are on 757 with a meal in both coach and "business". Anyone have experience with using stickers to upgrade on this route or is it better of to stick to the emergency exits and save the electronic upgrades seeing as that a meal is served in Y?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
AA food or any airline food should have no bearing on your decision. Food in Y is likely a slop pail with gruel and a tin tray. Old Aeroflot servingware.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:03 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
AA food or any airline food should have no bearing on your decision. Food in Y is likely a slop pail with gruel and a tin tray. Old Aeroflot servingware.
Valid point so I'll re-phrase the question:

EWR-SJU....if I have the choice of any of the emergency exits or use stickers to upgrade (4 for each of us...8 total each way) what would you do? I don't travel on AA as much as I used to so I am debating whether to use up my electronic upgrades while I can or to save them for later. Seeing as that I am a Gold upgrades are few and far between and this is a leisure route so my chances of getting upgraded are very good.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:37 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by eagle92

EWR-SJU....if I have the choice of any of the emergency exits or use stickers to upgrade (4 for each of us...8 total each way) what would you do? I don't travel on AA as much as I used to so I am debating whether to use up my electronic upgrades while I can or to save them for later. Seeing as that I am a Gold upgrades are few and far between and this is a leisure route so my chances of getting upgraded are very good.
It's well worth it. EWR flights depart in the morning, and breakfast is the meal that AA hasn't cut in F/J. Expect fairly full planes because of a 59 each way fare due to JetBlues entrance to the route, also served by CO. Enjoy the Caribbean.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:53 am

Amen, and the food in F is the same slop pail garnished with some road kill.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Never, ever fly Y into or out of SJU unless you must

The flights are invariably full. In Y there seem to be many first-time flyers, there are language issues as the Spanish-speakers are not always the ones taking the drink orders. There are lots of children. This is NOT the same choice as deciding on coach vs. on a domestic flight. Seat width is not really the issue for me. And I agree the AC is nice.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Agreed! I think your description is valid for food in all classes!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I used 4 stickers for SJU-EWR (757) Jan. 12. I agree with everyone else by saying that the AC is pretty nice. I was on a dinner flight, the service was excellent (only 4 in J). I had the normal small salad with a chicken meal and a piece of cheescake. On this route it just depends whether you want to sit in F or buy a snack in EWR and fly in row 9 or 10.

Originally Posted by eagle92

Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by uncguy85
I used to actively avoid flying through SJU until I realized last Spring that I could load up on booze for very cheap and since already in US there is no limit!
Actually, there are limits. Some states limit the amount of alcohol that can be brought into the state. I am not saying you have a good chance of getting caught, just that it could be illegal to attempt to bring too much booze into a state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.