Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Spiff

DL (SBUP)
UA
HP
?

NW does this too.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I don't agree.
When *protect* is used, it means something very specific.

Sorry Jon, I have to disagree. First, they also use the word "attempt" in reference to the upgrade. And, "protect" is only used in reference to the new flight. They have been "protected" by being placed on a different flight, and AA will "attempt" to upgrade them on that flight. At least that's how I interpret it.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

de leted
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/ConciergeKey
I think this is another reason why we may see further cuts in first class... Premium cabine is slowly and surely becoming EconomyExtra... and there is no reason it shoudn't given the price tag on it. It is one thing to offer upgrades to unsold premium seats to your EXPs who spend 100,000+ miles with the company; it's a whole diffrent ball game to offer it to someone who flies with AA for the first time and very likely not going to again any time soon.

AA will soon see that for the price of the seat, a pax is getting the value of the money by having a seat more confy then the one in economy, no meal/service required.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyACN
I think this is another reason why we may see further cuts in first class... Premium cabine is slowly and surely becoming EconomyExtra... and there is no reason it shoudn't given the price tag on it. It is one thing to offer upgrades to unsold premium seats to your EXPs who spend 100,000+ miles with the company; it's a whole diffrent ball game to offer it to someone who flies with AA for the first time and very likely not going to again any time soon.
Well, that's a point. But as pointed out above, it does appear at least 4 other U.S. carriers currently do this.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Well, that's a point. But as pointed out above, it does appear at least 4 other U.S. carriers currently do this.
True; and there is a reason why no one think highly of these carriers first class product. The exception is possibly UA...
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyACN

AA will soon see that for the price of the seat, a pax is getting the value of the money by having a seat more confy then the one in economy, no meal/service required.

I don't think this will lead to further cuts. No matter what, however you slice it, on no domestic flight is the opportunity cost of F over Y greater than $50/500mi. I don't care how much you drink, or what meal they serve, it's just not going to happen. So, while they may decide to cut things further, I don't think it will be because of this. If anything, these people are paying more for their F seat than elites, and therefore will lead to more $/FC seat filled.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:21 pm
askworldtraveler

Hat ON -

More then a few edits and deletions - the topic is way to important to get hijacked and closed..... so everyone who's had an edit or delete - consider yourselves warned - that includes baiting and reacting. Those of you who may be tempted to get into the fray in a non constructive way - (off topic and personal), consider yourselves warned.

Let's keep this topic open.....Hat off-
I consider that we (as a AA board) are lucky to have a few people who have provided early warning to the changes in coming with AA and it's greatly appreciated. If it turns out to be fact - I know this thread will grow by people contributing their own experience - and if the program doesn't start - (like the promise of VIPOW's being tracked online in our account) no big deal.

Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:29 pm

oops.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm going to go ahead and think positively. Perhaps we'll have fewer upgrades clear at the gate and more clear at the 4-hour mark so there will be greater opportunity to sell the remaining seats at the kiosk as people check in?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CharlesMD
So until I hear otherwise from AA...
Well, I didn't see the original, pre-edit post...but, Charles, you are simply so cute . I mean it, you're just adorable.

Cheers.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:40 pm

I'm all for AA trying to pick up "incremental" revenue wherever they can provided it's doesn't prove a dilution to Elite benefits...and this doesn't sound to me (if implemented as listed on the OP) like a bad move at all. Time will tell! Thanks for the heads up, jon.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:41 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'm wondering how this might effect the desired check-in time for non-elites. If they check in too early, maybe the LFBU's aren't available yet. If they check in too late, maybe the LFBU's are already all gone.

I do interpret the program as an attempt by AA to sell FC seats which would have otherwise gone out empty. I don't see how the new program will affect elite upgrades in the slightest. About the only effect I can think of is if an elite decides to sticker-upgrade at the last minute. In that case, maybe all the upgrades for that flight would have already been given out. I can't think of any other possible effect on elite upgrades. (We can always hope!)
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
oops.
Don't worry, I saw (and appreciate) it.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
No matter what, however you slice it, on no domestic flight is the opportunity cost of F over Y greater than $50/500mi. I don't care how much you drink, or what meal they serve, it's just not going to happen.
Hey, speak for yourself lightweight! I personally make it a point to get my money's worth on every flight. All of the flight attendants are trained in first aid, so if you think about it, it's really the safest place possible to drink yourself into a stupor.

But yes, I agree that on average, AA will certainly make money on $50/500mi upgrades on a marginal basis. The question is what will this do to their paid revenue? Presumably that will decrease by a bit. Some people will decide to buy a Y ticket instead of an F ticket because the flight looks wide open. Some people will decide that going for Gold isn't worth it because LFBUs are generally available on their flights so they'll feel free to either fly less or buy cheaper tickets on alternative carriers. My feeling is that AA will probably come out ahead (though the implementation and training costs are not insignificant), but only time will tell.

BTW, JonNYC, thanks for the great info as always!

Last edited by acf573; Dec 5, 2005 at 7:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.