Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by JonNYC
...There was no announcement yet-- but even when they do announce it, I believe this info will be relatively hard to come by. Not to say we won't try. But I certainly assume that your assumption is incorrect.
This scares the daylights out of me. I'm not going to badmouth AA unless/until this becomes clearer, but leaving it open to interpretation, ala:
determining factors
41n include the number of revenue customers on the priority
42n list, in addition to how many aadvantage members are
43n waitlisted for an upgrade. this will help ensure there
44n are seats available for last minute full-fare first
45n class customers and aadvantage upgrades.
...feels a little like a kick in the teeth. Maybe I'm just too paranoid, and maybe they're just trying to make clear it's not necessarily going to speed upgrades (and may slow them). Even leaving open the possibility that walk-ups could get the upgrade ahead of elites really hurts the program IMHO. I'm not going anywhere, and I'm not threatening to, so everyone just relax before you light up the flame-throwers.

Am I reading this correctly, though? Do I understand that there may in fact be a waitlist in existence, such that elites have not yet cleared, yet the algorithm will sell the $50/500 LFBU, in anticipation of there being enough seats for elites?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Originally Posted by Guidelines and Rules
NEVER rely on information or opinions exchanged via the forums to replace the information that you receive from your various frequent traveler programs...
Use good personal judgment when considering how to utilize information derived from the forums, and always consult a representative from the respective programs before doing anything that might impact your travel or put your miles and points at risk.
So until I hear otherwise from AA...

Last edited by CharlesMD; Dec 5, 2005 at 5:19 pm
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
..Am I reading this correctly, though? Do I understand that there may in fact be a waitlist in existence, such that elites have not yet cleared, yet the algorithm will sell the $50/500 LFBU, in anticipation of there being enough seats for elites?
That's not my reading of it. The way it's presented, this offer will only be made on flights where it is apparent (at least in Rev. managements eyes) that after all elites are upgraded and leaving a seat or two for last-minute purchase, etc., there will still be empties in F.

I see no sign that the kiosks will offer to waitlist non-elites under this system.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by CharlesMD
So until I here otherwise from AA...
Relax - the passengers who take advantage of these load factor based upgrades will still be allowed to photograph their meals prior to consumption.

You are good to go!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Asking me what ???

IMHO it is ridiculous to try to speculate what AA is going to do and when as it has been shown in the past that even if the prediction is correct (and that's a big if), when AA makes the announcement actual implementation ends up being delayed due to lack of funds or difficulty in making the changes.

Even if this were going to happen, and I doubt it will, I'd think AA would at least have done a test run somewhere.

So I see no point in getting everyone here worked up.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's not my reading of it. The way it's presented, this offer will only be made on flights where it is apparent (at least in Rev. managements eyes) that after all elites are upgraded and leaving a seat or two for last-minute purchase, etc., there will still be empties in F.

I see no sign that the kiosks will offer to waitlist non-elites under this system.
I think I'm asking the opposite, though JonNYC - Do you think it's possible that while one of us is on the waitlist, the algorithm determines - yes there are very likely to be enough seats for everyone, elites included, once this is all said and done - and then go ahead and SELL the confirmed LFBU, while some elites remain unconfirmed, and on the waitlist?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:17 pm
Suspended

I think it's important to wait until AA makes an official announcement about changes to upgrade procedures and how it will affect elites.

Last edited by askworldtraveler; Dec 5, 2005 at 6:23 pm Reason: Personal
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Here or hear? Standards must be slipping at Harvard.
Originally Posted by chartreuse
Well, on the plus side this won't affect my chances of international op-ups

Furthermore I don't believe that LFBUs will get priority over elites. At least for now. for the time being.
That's my take on it too and given domestic segments form a very small % of my AA flying I'm not that worried either way. I think it'll pan out alright and hopefully it'll be a win-win for AA and us.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
I think I'm asking the opposite, though JonNYC - Do you think it's possible that while one of us is on the waitlist, the algorithm determines - yes there are very likely to be enough seats for everyone, elites included, once this is all said and done - and then go ahead and SELL the confirmed LFBU, while some elites remain unconfirmed, and on the waitlist?
Well, that does remain to be seen. RM will be "looking at" the flight the night before-- and then the kiosks will do "additional checks" on check-in. Presumably by then some/many will already have their upgrades, the rest will be on the wait-list and some will have even checked in on-line.

SO, it seems-- IF AA is genuinely concerned that no elites by denied upgrades by this system, they have the technology, in principal, to prevent same, for the most part. How things actually fly is a different matter.

But they sound like they know what they are doing!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oiRRio
Here or hear? Standards must be slipping at Harvard.
That's my take on it too and given domestic segments form a very small % of my AA flying I'm not that worried either way. I think it'll pan out alright and hopefully it'll be a win-win for AA and us.
Fixed. It's hard to type with gloves on!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
In your younger days, did you happen to like throwing rocks at hornets' nests and similar activities?

(Please don't interpret this as a personal attack...)
I do! I just got called "a hornets' nest"!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
That doesn't make any sense. If they hold the X back, then those elites requesting upgrades will be added to the wait list. That wait list will still be cleared before these new upgrades are given. Therefore, it doesn't matter how far out the upgrades clear or don't clear for elites, they will still be cleared before the LFBUs.
That was my first thought, hence the at the end.

But then I got to thinking, which is always dangerous, and thought; what if one of the variables YM considers when holding back X on higher demand routes is that it encourages EXPs to choose lower demand routings? What if LFBU revenue exacerbated that?

I'm more than happy to concede that this sounds paranoid, but IME any attempt to fathom the workings of YM does.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by CharlesMD
Fixed. It's hard to type with gloves on!
So you blame typing "here" instead of "hear" on gloves?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
More likely; mittens.

And almost certainly-- safety-pinned.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Well, you know what they say about a bad workman... or do I mean a tool?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.