Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:35 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mvoight
LIT-NRT is 90 miles further over the Pacific. Why would there be an Atlantic route for this?
LMAO! mvoight, I nudge you to read gemac's tagline and sense the irony.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:33 am

Programs: AA
Yes you are correct about no Atlantic flight it has been awhile since I have done a flight to NRT. It just appered the LFBU fees would be cheaper with an Atlantic option from what I had read. Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:07 pm

The cheap upgrades and standby-- a question

Greetings all.

This morning, I was on a ORD-LGA flight (managed to get out in time). I originally was scheduled to be on the last flight of the night, but got to ORD about 12 hours early. When I checked in, I was offered a $70 upgrade to F. I declined it, opting instead to standby (and got on) the 9:45 flight. My question is this: would I have been able to purchase the upgrade, then use that to stand by and get in F for that morning flight? For the sake of numbers, I counted 5 empty F seats (plus one seat that was upgraded by someone standing by using miles at the gate). I'm just worried that I blew a chance at F (even if it is an MD-80).
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
when they offered you the upgrade to F for $70, was that on the original, later flight or the one at 9:45AM?

Also, what is your status with AA?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by The_Rockaway_Kid
Greetings all.

This morning, I was on a ORD-LGA flight (managed to get out in time). I originally was scheduled to be on the last flight of the night, but got to ORD about 12 hours early. When I checked in, I was offered a $70 upgrade to F. I declined it, opting instead to standby (and got on) the 9:45 flight. My question is this: would I have been able to purchase the upgrade, then use that to stand by and get in F for that morning flight? For the sake of numbers, I counted 5 empty F seats (plus one seat that was upgraded by someone standing by using miles at the gate). I'm just worried that I blew a chance at F (even if it is an MD-80).
No. LFBUs are offered for specific flights and are not transferable to other flights.

Originally Posted by Deltahater
when they offered you the upgrade to F for $70, was that on the original, later flight or the one at 9:45AM?

Also, what is your status with AA?
The original, later flight, based on the OP. Status is irrelevant for paid tix.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I asked about the status because if he was PLT or EXP he could have used stickers to upgrade, once he was confirmed in Y and thus not blow his chance at F, which was open, apparently
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
My experience has been that LFBUs are priced at $45 per 500 miles. The $70 OP mentions would be $35 per 500 miles, the exact price of stickers when bought from an agent. Could be coincidence, of course, or it could be that the AAgent was offering him a sticker upgrade and offering to sell him the stickers.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by gemac
My experience has been that LFBUs are priced at $45 per 500 miles. The $70 OP mentions would be $35 per 500 miles, the exact price of stickers when bought from an agent. Could be coincidence, of course, or it could be that the AAgent was offering him a sticker upgrade and offering to sell him the stickers.
Good catch.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I asked about the status because if he was PLT or EXP he could have used stickers to upgrade, once he was confirmed in Y and thus not blow his chance at F, which was open, apparently
Even GLDs can use stickers to upgrade -- it just never seems to happen!
Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
That $45/500 miles must be domestic only. I've had LFBUs between CDG & JFK (3565 mi) offered at $500.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:43 am

Thank you for the reply. I have no elite status with AA, so I am glad that I decided to take the standby (which spit out a seat immediately) instead of the F seat for a flight that wound up arriving 3 hours late (at 2 AM!) Absolutely a better choice.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
That $45/500 miles must be domestic only. I've had LFBUs between CDG & JFK (3565 mi) offered at $500.
It is domestic only. That is what we were discussing here - a domestic flight.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I had a friend with no status get offered a $70 upgrade on BOS-ORD ($35/500 miles). She declined it. I asked her if it wasn't $90 and she was absolutely sure it was $70. Sounds like they maybe lowering the price in hopes to sell more. Could this be specific to the route and loads for any given flight?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:15 pm

Just to clarify, I am 100% certain that it is $70... I remember because it was $20 more than the $50 guaranteed standby.

Also, thank you for consolidating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.