Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Does this mean that you can only do this through the self serve check in machines at the airport?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:12 pm

It would be really nice if you could use stickers to upgrade an award ticket, but this makes it seem like it would still be $50/ 500 miles, which is kind of steep. I would consider it for longer legs, but that adds up pretty quickly.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonora
Does this mean that you can only do this through the self serve check in machines at the airport?
I think that's extraordinarily clear in the text.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:14 pm

"the lfbu will be marketed and sold solely through self-service machines"
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cme2c
It would be really nice if you could use stickers to upgrade an award ticket, but this makes it seem like it would still be $50/ 500 miles..
It more than seems that way-- it -is- that way, I would say.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
There goes standby upgrades
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenfry
I wouldn't be so pessimistic. I'm not convinced that very many nonelites will jump at $50 per 500 miles. But maybe I'm wrong.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I wouldn't be so pessimistic. I'm not convinced that very many nonelites will jump at $50 per 500 miles. But maybe I'm wrong.
I think there might be quite a few "jumpers"-- on some routes it might seem like "worth paying" although, OTOH, -I- may be underestimating how $$ conscious most pax are nowadays.

Personally, I think $50 per 500-miles was a very good pricing decision on AA's part. Not too low, not too high. And, real $$ on some flights were F would have went out w/ many empty seats (non-business routes, weekends to same, odd-hour flights, etc.)
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't know how well this will work for frequent flyers, less frequent passengers or for AA. But I'm certain that there are people who overpay and just don't know it. Some of them will bite on this too.

A greater fool theory of sorts.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
I can imagine the family of four on a trip to Disney (LGA-MCO)...

Buying tickets online for your family: $800/rt

Buying upgrades at the airport for your family: $800/rt (assuming availability)

Having the kids sit up front in seats big enough for three of them while the PLT member tries to get work done on his laptop in 28A: Priceless

Seriously, I think this will be very popular for travelers that are elite with other airlines but are flying AA for a given trip and don't have stickers.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't know how well this will work for frequent flyers, less frequent passengers or for AA. But I'm certain that there are people who overpay and just don't know it. Some of them will bite on this too.
I couldn't agree more-- there are myriad examples of this in every facet of everyday life. People who buy watches at Tourneau, people who pay ridiculous prices on eBay-- thousands of examples.

Plus "First Class" still sounds very luxurious to those who don't know better!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by j3823x
I can imagine the family of four on a trip to Disney (LGA-MCO)...

Buying tickets online for your family: $800/rt

Buying upgrades at the airport for your family: $800/rt (assuming availability)

Having the kids sit up front in seats big enough for three of them while the PLT member tries to get work done on his laptop in 28A: Priceless
That's crazy: working in 28A while the family's partying in F?

Better plan: work in 4A while the family watches one of the ubiquitous kiddie movies shown during the holidays from their nice Y seats. Spend the difference on the tickets to the Park.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
32n [u
revenue management will review pnrs the evening before[/u] to
33n determine eligibility[/b]. pnrs for flights that do not
34n qualify for the offer will be flagged with structured
35n text /no lf upgd and flight number/ in the ssr field of
36n the pnr.
37n .
68n[/FONT][/SIZE]
Is someone personally looking over PNRs?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by kenfry
From what I read, if the space is available elites will of course be cleared for upgrade before these folks have a shot at it. If as an elite you are still waitlisted when you get to the airport, chances are non-elites won't even have it offered to them at the kiosks because they haven't released the extra inventory if there is any yet.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
That's crazy: working in 28A while the family's partying in F?

Better plan: work in 4A while the family watches one of the ubiquitous kiddie movies shown during the holidays from their nice Y seats. Spend the difference on the tickets to the Park.
The businessperson isn't from the family; just some Joe Schmo with PLT status who has to pass by the family sitting in F.

Anyway, I think the possibility of elite members getting bypassed for upgrades several times in favor of non-elite members getting upgrades is not a fair trade-off for the ability to upgrade award travel. I'm traveling on paid trips much more often than award trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.