Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by martin33
Moreover, AA is talking Kiosk check-in, not carny-hawking at the gate...
No, no, I like this idea . Replace all the GAs with professional auctioneers! Then have pax bid on the upgrades ^ .
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLAT - BONVOY PLAT
Originally Posted by pmanchuk
Ok... I hate to post this at the risk of being accused of being stuck up or arrogant... BUT my concern isn't about status upgrades losing priority to these last minute pay upgrades...

What first came to my mind when I read this was... "oh my god... AA is turning into DL!" I remember very clearly when DL introduced it's $75.00 upgrades at the gate. Now granted, any airline is welcome to try and increase their revenues but do it with tact! It never failed that on my flights... while waiting to board, the DL gate agent would announce the $75.00 upgrades as this "super discounted deal to get a great seat WITH food and drinks at a really CHEAP price." The announcements were on par with that of a blue light special at K-Mart.

But for the most part, I would just ignore it and hope for the best BUT it never failed... I would always get stuck with billy-bob and his cousin (i mean wife) sitting behind me who would comment (very loudly) all flight how they got such a great deal and how stupid the other people were in FC to actually pay FC prices! That's the part that REALLY burns me... I actually do pay those prices. Why? Because I don't like the upgrade game... and I believe in paying for what I want. However, the last thing I want is someone de-valueing my FC ticket.

Now people seem to think... oh, it's just a little extra revenue... the FC service won't be decreased even further. Hmmm... well look at DL... they started their $75.00 upgrades and the next thing you know... the "snacks" of grilled chicken salads with real linen table cloths and glassware were replaced with your choice of animal crackers or pretzels with your drink served in a plastic cup in FC!

So do I worry when I hear rumors of this sort? ABSOLUTELY. I pay double the price on AA for the same FC ticket I could get on DL because for the most part, the people sitting in FC either paid, are non-revs OR they've flown AA enough to deserve upgrades (you know... gold, plats, etc.). The people who fit in those three categories typically hold a lot more tact than say someone who flies once every two years from "east-cup-cake" to Orlando... who wants to feel special and splurges on a last minute upgrade.

I sincerely hope that gold and plat have priority over these last minute for sale upgrades... and if that's the case... you can rest assured that I'll be doing my best to encourage anyone I know with status to get their upgrades to fill the FC cabins before the open seats get sold at checkin.

Anyway... that's my rant on the subject... hope no-one takes too much offense to it.

great post....i echo your sentiments.....i hope all elites have priority over these sale upgrades....but without a separate fare bucket, how will we ever know?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pmanchuk
Wow... two positive replies to my post so far... I'm shocked. I figured I'd have tons of people screaming at me about how dare I imply certain people aren't entitled to their el-cheapo upgrades.
Nope, you're coming across as a self-absorbed, "expecting" elite flyer...just like the rest of us . You fit right in, and we're not gonna criticize you for what we all (most all) probably feel anyway...

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
I was assuming that they woulud be clearing elites by the 4hr mark, and that those really caring about upgrades would get to the airport asap. I also would think that they would account for elites still not upgraded by 3hrs. However, what this would do is guarantee that no non-elites got upgrades a) before 2hrs, and, b) by a glitch letting them take x inventory. However, I'll be the last to admit, I'm not always right/perfect .
With online check-in, why should those who care about upgrades get to airport ASAP?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
With online check-in, why should those who care about upgrades get to airport ASAP?

If you still don't clear by 3hrs. out, then you'll need to get on that list.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Nope, you're coming across as a self-absorbed, "expecting" elite flyer...just like the rest of us . You fit right in, and we're not gonna criticize you for what we all (most all) probably feel anyway...

Cheers.

Actually, I'd argue that his gripe is much more legit. He's never mentioned status, that I've seen, so IDK where he fits in there, but he pays to sit up front. I think those who pay A or F fares have a lot more right to complain about what they see/experience in F.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Actually, I'd argue that his gripe is much more legit. He's never mentioned status, that I've seen, so IDK where he fits in there, but he pays to sit up front. I think those who pay A or F fares have a lot more right to complain about what they see/experience in F.
Have you had your sense of humor checked recently?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:07 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.

Wasn't trying to be funny. But, the poster you quoted has never said he is "elite," so we don't know how much he flies. We just know that he buys F seats, and I think when paying for F, you have the right to expect a better experience then as an upgrader.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Wasn't trying to be funny. But, the poster you quoted has never said he is "elite," so we don't know how much he flies. We just know that he buys F seats, and I think when paying for F, you have the right to expect a better experience then as an upgrader.
Your
just
not
getting it.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, I'll actually write it all out. Yes, I realize that you were not trying to be funny (this was not the point of Jon's post). I was being facetious, and was, in no way, commenting upon the poster's "claim". The eliteness of the poster is not relevant. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Ok, I'll actually write it all out. Yes, I realize that you were not trying to be funny (this was not the point of Jon's post). I was being facetious, and was, in no way, commenting upon the poster's "claim". The eliteness of the poster is not relevant. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Cheers.

No, no, I wasn't completely clear either. I understand that you were being humerous in your post. I did get that, how you were saying he's just like us. However, the point I was getting at is those of us that don't pay to sit there, really have less grounds to complain about what goes on in F. Again, sorry if my post indicated that I thought yours was serious. I caught the jest in it, and was just making a point about the fact that, all joking aside, he can justifiably complain about any part of F he wants, since he pays for it.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm assuming (always dangerous I know) that OW Elites would qualify for this - it would seem a real pity if they were not.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
No, no, I wasn't completely clear either. I understand that you were being humerous in your post. I did get that, how you were saying he's just like us. However, the point I was getting at is those of us that don't pay to sit there, really have less grounds to complain about what goes on in F. Again, sorry if my post indicated that I thought yours was serious. I caught the jest in it, and was just making a point about the fact that, all joking aside, he can justifiably complain about any part of F he wants, since he pays for it.
Putting aside the who-gets-what issue, what I get is that in numerous posts in this thread and others you advocate that F is and/or should be a two-class cabin: one for those who pay for it and one for those who upgrade into it. I am not aware of any airline that differentiates in any way between the two (yes, AA lets those who pay on transcons into the FL, and VS doesn't offer free limo service to those on awards, but there is no differentiation in in-flight service), and that's the way it should be.

If you pay for F, you are entitled to one F seat. If there are 16 or 18 or 24 seats in the F cabin, you get no say whatsoever over who gets to sit in those other seats or whether the airline gives them away or sells them at a discount rather than let them go empty. If the service you receive because the cabin is full is degraded compared to what it would be if you were the only one in the cabin, that's too bad: all you bargained for is one of 16 or 18 or 24 seats. And if that doesn't work for you, you should be paying to charter a fully catered and staffed G5, not an F seat on a commercial airline. Now that's the way to go!
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Putting aside the who-gets-what issue, what I get is that in numerous posts in this thread and others you advocate that F is and/or should be a two-class cabin: one for those who pay for it and one for those who upgrade into it. I am not aware of any airline that differentiates in any way between the two (yes, AA lets those who pay on transcons into the FL, and VS doesn't offer free limo service to those on awards, but there is no differentiation in in-flight service), and that's the way it should be.
That's not at all the way it should be.

Those who pay at least 94.35% of full F fare should be entitled to be called by their name, have food served in courses on individual plates and be asked every 9.25 minutes if there is anything else they need. Those paying from 64.86% to 94.34% of full F fare would be called "sir" or "madam", get food on a tray and have drinks refilled on a 22 minute schedule. Those paying with miles earned by flying should be treated the same. Those paying less and those flying with miles earned buying gasoline should have the recline on their seat restricted by 6 degrees, receive coach food on a nice tray and refills every 37 minutes. Others are to be handled in accordance with Rule 4898. The foregoing should, of course, be appropriately modified based on elite status, annual dollars spent on AA and city of origin. I don't have the space to explain sundae service.

How could you possibly think of treating all these travellers the same?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.