Wiki Posts
Search

Rule 120.20 endorsement & mileage credit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Rule 120.20 endorsement & mileage credit

I know I've seen threads addressing this question, but I'm not having any luck searching for (and finding) any.

I was booked on AA and the ticket was endorsed over to Delta. Is it possible to get mileage credit for the original itinerary on AA? If so, is the Customer Service e-mail address the best contact or is a call more likely to be successful?

Thanks for the help, and a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:45 pm

Keep in mind that it is against the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions to obtain such credit:

No mileage credit will be awarded for canceled flights or if you are accommodated on another airline.
That said, it's not out of the question to get the credit as a one-time exception. A search for "original routing credit" showed several instances where people have received the credit by e-mailing AAdvantage.

Mike
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
This a great opportunity to double dip!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - very helpful.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP (> 2.5 MM; *Wood Gld; HHonors Gld
Just email or send a letter to AA CS, and I have never been refused miles for the original itinerary. Double dip all the way :-)
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by nologic
This a great opportunity to double dip!
Yes, perhaps, but with caveats. Be careful to put your [insert accomodating carrier here] frequent flyer number ONLY in the record of that operating carrier, and NOTin the AA record.

I've had trouble in the past, in the two senses:

a) where (BA, actually) refused to give me credit, because they could see that I received credit from another carrier (AA, in that case).

AND

b) where I've been unable to have miles posted retroactively to the operating carrier's account (LH, in this case), becaue I was unable to provide the ticket receipt for flights to show my booking class (which was originally on AA)

On the whole though, yes, "This a great opportunity to double dip!"
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DutchMember
Just email or send a letter to AA CS, and I have never been refused miles for the original itinerary. Double dip all the way :-)
Same for me. I'd recommend sending in a copy of your original AA boarding pass(es) along with a letter politely asking for AAdvantage miles for the AA flight(s) that you would have otherwise taken but for the re-route.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
1. Call AAdvantage customer service. Use the phrases "original routing credit" and "involunary reroute".

2. Call Delta and have them get customer service to credit your flights. Always add your FF# to the rerouted flights to make this easier. Try to avoid same-alliance reroutes.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
AA has ALWAYS given me credit for my originally booked mileage and segments when I've been rerouted on another carrier (or on AA on a routing with fewer miles than I booked) - but they always say that it is a "one-time exception."
Old Nov 23, 2005, 4:06 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The ONE time in probably 5+ years AA could not accomodate me (an EXP) when my flight cancelled and there were no seats the remainder of the day on AA . they 'endorsed' the ticky over to NWA.

The original flights were YVR-ORD and ORD-MSP. The reroute was nonstop YVR-MSP.

I called into the EXP desk .. and asked about getting miles for the 'cancellation' that they did and were not able to accomodate me on AA.

Was to NO PROBLEM AT ALL! (this was July 2005)

However I only got AA Miles for YVR-MSP (do not care about segments)... since that is what I flew (the reps way of explaning it). I did NOT get miles for YVR-ORD and ORD-MSP and 2 segments.

DFWFlier stated they always gave orginally booked miles and segs .. this may be because as a DFW traveler this person never has had to deal with 'connections' when being re-routed.

In any case, I would NOT write in to Customer Service .. I would try and call (when they are open and as SOOOON as posssible after the incident) and ask then to make the correction. Mine showed up within 24 hours of my phone call.

Now double-dipping is at your own risk!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. Searching "original routing" worked a treat and it looks like people have generally been successful at getting the mileage credit, which you all have again confirmed for me - thanks! Spiff - thanks for the advice on how to be proactive, next time I'll be prepared!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Just thought I'd share the outcome of my request. I contacted AA by e-mail and got the typical response that they do not credit the miles in this situation. They did, however, credit my account 5K "customer service" miles. Granted, these miles aren't EQM, but as I'm fine for status and not chasing any miles before year-end, I'm pleased with getting a lot more miles than I would have had I been on the AA flight!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:07 am

Programs: American EXP, Hilton Diamond
What did you say?

I've had two flights canceled and rerouted on united in the past few months due to weather, but I no longer have the boarding passes. What do you think my odds are of getting some miles for them? Is there anyway I can prove that I was originally booked on the canceled flight?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Jeeez....US and UA still provide credit if you are rebooked on an airline that does not credit to their programs. I've double dipped quite a few times.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by polkacat
Just thought I'd share the outcome of my request. I contacted AA by e-mail and got the typical response that they do not credit the miles in this situation. They did, however, credit my account 5K "customer service" miles. Granted, these miles aren't EQM, but as I'm fine for status and not chasing any miles before year-end, I'm pleased with getting a lot more miles than I would have had I been on the AA flight!
That's interesting, because I've had extensive experience with this (seems disproportionate), and I have always rec'd the miles from the originating airline as if I had flown the flight (with status and class of service bonuses), as well as full mileage credit on the airline actually flown.

My most recent case was receiving QF miles by BA for the LHR strike over the summer when I was re-routed onto AF (this is independent of the substantial "aplology miles" received from BA for the disruption).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.