Search

Help me be way too nice to a friend - award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:19 am
oec
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Help me be way too nice to a friend - award ticket

I'm going LAX-JFK-ZRH on 11/6 and returning 11/11 on a full-fare B ticket. I want to take a friend with me using miles. I've tried ExpertFlyer, aa.com, calling the EXP desk, etc. and can't find a MilesAAver award, and I don't think 100k miles for a round-trip to Europe in coach is a judicious use of miles. So, I turn to the experts at FT for help.

I checked for awards into LHR, FRA, and CDG as well, with no luck. I'm willing to put said friend on an odd routing if needed. Any ideas? Also, do you think a trip like this is worth 100k miles?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
I think you may find 11/11 is the problem. We're flying to the US that day and loads seem to be very heavy.

That said, last time I booked an award ticket the rate was 90K for coach or 120K for business. On a whim I looked at first and found availability for 125K.

125K for F seemed like a much better deal than 90K for Y.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 5:58 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
How much does the ticket cost?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think you may find 11/11 is the problem. We're flying to the US that day and loads seem to be very heavy.

That said, last time I booked an award ticket the rate was 90K for coach or 120K for business. On a whim I looked at first and found availability for 125K.

125K for F seemed like a much better deal than 90K for Y.
We're talking about the rate from US-Europe, right? That's 40k off-peak/60k peak in Y, 90k in J, 125k in F.

I'm guessing tickets are pretty expensive due to the lack of a Saturday-night stay. Is your friend willing to stay an extra 2 days? That way I'm sure tickets are cheaper. Or what if you expand your search to the 12th?

Are you planning on upgrading? Only 10k each way, no co-pay on a B ticket. Maybe you can search for a J award for your friend and upgrade yourself. I see availability in J on 11/6 LAX-JFK-ZRH AA40/AA64 and on the return ZRH-JFK-LAX AA65/AA21. That's a much better value than using 100k for a Y ticket.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
Check LAX-MIA-NAS-LHR-***

LAX-YYZ-LHR-***

LAX-SEA-YVR-LHR-***

through MEX-LHR-***

LAX-DUB-***

LAX-CDG-*** on TN
Old Oct 28, 2005, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by acf573
We're talking about the rate from US-Europe, right? That's 40k off-peak/60k peak in Y, 90k in J, 125k in F.
I said it was a while ago Actually I've gone back and checked, the situation I was thinking of was when there were only AAnytime* awards available in Y/J at 100 & 180K respectively, but there turned out to be a MileSAAver* award in F available at 125K.

My point remains the same, somethimes it's worth looking at F, as there may be a cheaper award catagory available even though it's exhausted in Y/J.

(* = or whatever they were called then).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.