Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PIT will lose all mainline service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The thread below from another site may help clarify why the mainline service is being pulled; may have something to do with an endrun around "station protected" mainline TWU-represented rampers:

http://www.usaviation.com/forums/ind...howtopic=21781
Now I get it. Evidently their positions can't be got rid of as long as AA serves that station.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 5:13 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by Connected1
It's actually 2,555 over a continuous 12 month period.
Yeah, but I have to do math to figure that out.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Connected1
It's actually 2,555 over a continuous 12 month period.
so which stations are in the most remaining danger, after PIT, MEM, CMH?
Old Sep 18, 2005, 12:12 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Not particularly commenting on the wAAges earned by the AA mainline crew in PIT, I've always found them to be very friendly and excellent -- while you could sense the tension with a lot of the USAirways agents ("Am I next?") the AAgents were always great. I wonder if they have bumping rights to another station, or if they will have to hit the unemployment line. Either way, just another hit to the rapidly shrinking airline employee workforce in PIT. Bad for all us PIT flyers, even worse for them. Oh well.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Very true. However, it doesn't really have to do with that. PIT is a mainline station that employes 76 people (for only nine daily flights!) at mainline pay rates. This right there is the killer. By making PIT an Eagle station, they can fire those workers, and then rehire them at Eagle wages, which is much lower. As a result, though, they can't put mainline back at PIT, because than the fired/re-hired employees have quite a legit lawsuit on their hands. Same with the soon to end mainline service to Columbus and Memphis...too many mainline employees for too few mainline flights. Some smaller mainline stations, like Dayton and Greensboro, are out-stationed or already worked by Eagle employees, so it isn't an issue there, and mainline can continue.

AA/Eagle in Greensboro is handled by WorldWide Flight Services. There are no AA employees there and never have been.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Very true. However, it doesn't really have to do with that. PIT is a mainline station that employes 76 people (for only nine daily flights!) at mainline pay rates. This right there is the killer. By making PIT an Eagle station, they can fire those workers, and then rehire them at Eagle wages, which is much lower. As a result, though, they can't put mainline back at PIT, because than the fired/re-hired employees have quite a legit lawsuit on their hands. Same with the soon to end mainline service to Columbus and Memphis...too many mainline employees for too few mainline flights. Some smaller mainline stations, like Dayton and Greensboro, are out-stationed or already worked by Eagle employees, so it isn't an issue there, and mainline can continue.
By the way, Columbus has been an Eagle station for years (since the late 90's). Typically, union contracts govern when stations can go Eagle and how many mainline departures they can have as an Eagle station. It has nothing to do with lawsuits!
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Not particularly commenting on the wAAges earned by the AA mainline crew in PIT, I've always found them to be very friendly and excellent -- while you could sense the tension with a lot of the USAirways agents ("Am I next?") the AAgents were always great. I wonder if they have bumping rights to another station, or if they will have to hit the unemployment line. Either way, just another hit to the rapidly shrinking airline employee workforce in PIT. Bad for all us PIT flyers, even worse for them. Oh well.
Agreed. ^

In the year since this happend at CLE, I have been happy to encounter several of the former CLE AAgents at ORD. Hope the PIT people will have this option too, if that's what they want.

And if CLE is an example, we will face a steep learning curve with the new Eagle personnel. I can live with this, but I'll double connect before I ride a CRJ to DFW.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by sfeinberg
AA/Eagle in Greensboro is handled by WorldWide Flight Services. There are no AA employees there and never have been.
I know that. That is what I said. I said that stations like GSO and DAY are "already Eagle or outstationed".
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:05 pm

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
I guess this makes business sense, but it may also be an opportunity for another carrier to pick up the DFW route mainline (US can expand) as this route on AA had always been packed, though who knows how much was connecting. I also agree there needs to be an improvement to JFK for international routes whether on DL or AA from PIT esp.since US cut direct flts to Europe from PIT(though DL will be cutting service overall while in BK) The 2nd flt per day to MIA helps a lot for Latin Amer. routes as some connections in MIA from PIT were all day waits for the evening Latin Ame/Carib. flts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.