Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Important: Support AA and write to the DOT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I'm bumping this up to the top. To those who read this, I cannot stress how important it is that you guys take two minutes of your time to submit a docket. The pending results of this decission can have a major affect on the fares you pay to fly trans-Atlantic.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'm bumping this up to the top. To those who read this, I cannot stress how important it is that you guys take two minutes of your time to submit a docket. The pending results of this decission can have a major affect on the fares you pay to fly trans-Atlantic.
the justice department filed its opinion today-- AGAINST. DOT gets final say-- so presumably there's still time for people to weigh in.

two sentences, plus a link:

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...9227852_newsml
----------------
WASHINGTON, Aug 19 (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department on Friday urged against giving antitrust immunity to five members of the SkyTeam airline alliance, saying the carriers had failed to show the benefits would outweigh potential harms.

In comments filed with the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Justice Department said there was "a significant risk" of reduced competition if the airlines were allowed wide latitude to share information and coordinate their operations.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good - make it an openly competitive environment or give everyone similar privileges and exemptions, imo. And think, SU is going to become part of SkyTeam... Maybe they should give Aeroflop some exemption of some kind as well, just so they feel good. (I don't think I'll use my remaining CO miles on SU, thank you.)
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:07 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
Thanks

for bringing this to my attention. I've filled out the form in opposition of the skyteam anti-trust immunity.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
Done! ^ ^

Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:28 am

Done!

You might want to post this in other forums as well.

eli
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by elimuli
Done!

You might want to post this in other forums as well.

eli
I think it made the rounds of several of them, the first time around. would make the most sense in non-SkyTeam forums, of course.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:53 am

It looks like DOT ruled against Skyteam;
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051222/airli...ance.html?.v=2
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by MAH4546
No, an airline cannot fly LAX-DFW-LHR. They can do the opposite, though. British Airways, for example, flies IAH-ORD-LHR. The flight can originate in any city, but is most stop at an LHR gateway before getting there.
This IAH-ORD-LHR flight is very interesting. Out of curiosity, I checked this out on BA.com and Orbitz. IAH-ORD seems to be on BA metal (777) and not bookable IAH-ORD-IAH.

It seems like such a waste to fly a 777 over half-empty (no proof, but it's gotta be) between Houston and Chicago and that an AA codeshare would be better, but what do I know. If it wasn't cost-effective, BA wouldn't do it. My guess is that there is some premium-flying corporate contract that makes this worthwhile for BA.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
This IAH-ORD-LHR flight is very interesting. Out of curiosity, I checked this out on BA.com and Orbitz. IAH-ORD seems to be on BA metal (777) and not bookable IAH-ORD-IAH.

It seems like such a waste to fly a 777 over half-empty (no proof, but it's gotta be) between Houston and Chicago and that an AA codeshare would be better, but what do I know. If it wasn't cost-effective, BA wouldn't do it. My guess is that there is some premium-flying corporate contract that makes this worthwhile for BA.
British Petroleum has large operations in both the Chicago Area and Houston and it could be the fat corporate contract that keeps that odd route afloat.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
British Petroleum has large operations in both the Chicago Area and Houston and it could be the fat corporate contract that keeps that odd route afloat.
This is unlikely to be the reason since I doubt BA can carry IAH-ORD traffic on this flight. It's more likely to be about aircraft utilization (rather than having the aircraft sit in Chicago, it's apparently marginally profitable to fly some premium IAH-LHR traffic by this method). It's pretty odd that anyone has that strong a preference for LHR, though: BA actually also fly nonstop IAH-LGW, as well as the IAH-ORD-LHR service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.