Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did AA make a tax mistake on my award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Did AA make a tax mistake on my award ticket?

I claimed a first class award to South America. I flew the first part DCA-AA-MIA-JJ-GRU.

This morning when I checked in with TAM (JJ) at GRU for my next sector to EZE, I was advised that AA did not collect the GRU international departure tax of BRL 98.00.

This is about $50 or so.

Should AA have collected this?

I know certain airports like YVR and BKK used to make you pay a tax at the airport, but now they are included in the ticket and collected in advance.

The check in agent at GRU acted like it should have been collected on the ticket.

My taxes were as follows..
5.00 YC
7.00 XY
4.95 XA
7.50 AY
26.00 ZQ (not sure what this is, but besides Brazil, the award ticket also has Argentina and Chile)
Total $50.45

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:09 am

The BRL98.00 tax (approx $41) is supposed to apply only to tickets sold in Brazil. However, for tickets sold anywhere else, there is a similar tax of USD36 that is supposed to be collected. So there is not that big of a difference.

However, neither is supposed to apply if you transit Brazil for only 24 hours.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Both on the outbound and return I will be in Brazil for less than 24 hours.

Should I ask TAM for a refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.