Wiki Posts
Search

Refunding mileage on cancelled award travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:33 am
csg
Original Poster

Refunding mileage on cancelled award travel

I assume this has been asked before, but I don't know what search terms to use and I'm not an AA regular.

We have a trip to LA for a familiy event that we paid for using up most of our AA miles. The event (scheduled for October) has been cancelled. Before we call AA, what are our options -- are we stuck, do we have to go to LA but not necessarily in October, can we choose a different destination, can we transfer the tickets to others (family or otherwise), or can we get the miles back?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
You can change the dates, but not the destination. You can redeposit the miles for (and I think this is correct) $100 for the first ticket and $20 each for other tickets on the same record. You may be able to change the names, but that's $100 each. I'd say go to LA and have a mini vacation .

Cheers.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
You can:

a) return the miles to the originating account(s) for $100. I don't know if this $100 per pax tix or per PNR.

b) reissue them for another date up to 1 year from when they first issued (not 1 year from the original departure date). If these were a full mileage award and you keep the routing the same I believe there is no charge to change - provided that there is award inventory for the dates/route you want.

You cannot simply transfer them to another pax whose name was not on the original tix. That would be foder for eBay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.