Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Arriving next day after a schedule change, can I change departure/arrival cities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving next day after a schedule change, can I change departure/arrival cities?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SW, HH, MR, SPG, Choice

I booked 2 flights that are part of a gold challenge I have signed up for. I received an email that said schedule has changed and instead of arriving on the return trip at 11:50 pm it will now be 9:13 am. I called AA and they said since the schedule has changed by more than 90 minutes I could get a refund. I would still like to do the trip, but can't depart any earlier because I will be in another city prior to my departure. Do I have a right to ask for a change in departure city?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
From a revenue standpoint, I'd think they'd be pleased to give you another deaprture city, as opposed to a full refund. I'd sure ask!

Originally Posted by tommya
I booked 2 flights that are part of a gold challenge I have signed up for. I received an email that said schedule has changed and instead of arriving on the return trip at 11:50 pm it will now be 9:13 am. I called AA and they said since the schedule has changed by more than 90 minutes I could get a refund. I would still like to do the trip, but can't depart any earlier because I will be in another city prior to my departure. Do I have a right to ask for a change in departure city?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:16 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Well, there is technically no "right" to this. You have a right to a refund, and they've offered one. That said, they have shown willingness to work with pax in these cases. While it may not be an actual entitlement, I would call and try to work it out. They allowed me to change from SJC to SFO because of this. These are co-terminals, so it's somewhat different. I would suggest calling with some alternatives in mind. It gives them the option to keep your money after all .

Cheers.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:24 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by brp
Well, there is technically no "right" to this. You have a right to a refund, and they've offered one. That said, they have shown willingness to work with pax in these cases. While it may not be an actual entitlement, I would call and try to work it out. They allowed me to change from SJC to SFO because of this. These are co-terminals, so it's somewhat different. I would suggest calling with some alternatives in mind. It gives them the option to keep your money after all .

Cheers.
Well, I think the OP has a "right" to ask for what he/she wants, but they don't have to say yes. That said, I think your advice is good. Find a few options that would work better and call and ask nicely.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
In the past, I've been successful in getting both the origin and destination changed, including the return, all at the same time. This, however, was in person at the airport, and not on the telephone. I would expect that if they do it for weather, where they are usually hard-nosed, they would do it for a schedule change.

I had an XNA-FLL rt changed to TUL-MCO (open jaw) FLL-TUL due to the airport not yet having winter equipment, so no deicing and no runway clearing on a very icy day. Funny how they didn't bother to purchase a snow plow for a couple of years after opening. Of course, I shouldn't complain much, because Oklahoma apparently has no snow plows east of Tulsa. Needless to say, what is normally a two hour drive became quite exciting, with 3 hours between the time I left XNA and my rebooked (in F) flight to TUL.

Last edited by wierdo; Jun 30, 2005 at 5:37 pm
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Schedule change

Originally Posted by tommya
The other people who've replied are correct; you really have no "right" to demand anything other than what they've offered-- the refund. BUT-- this has happened to me several times in the past (particularly booking far in advance), and I've always changed routing successfully. All the airlines hate to give refunds, particularly if they have space on another route amenable to you. What you do is first check other routes which would work for you, and call them back asking (very politely) if any of the 2 or 3 options you like would have available seats. If you're somewhat flexible and nice to them, they'll usually work with you to find an agreeable alternative. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.