Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hi,

would a routing DFW-LGA (overnight) then JFK-HKG-CMB be allowed?
Old May 5, 2013, 11:39 am

Regarding ORD-IST, and avoiding BA through London:

Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1]
While RJ is a no-surcharge option, it would require more miles, as AMM is in the Middle East/India zone, and IST is in the Europe zone.

For a roundtrip with no BA segments, an Explorer award might work for 130K AA miles in Business, but you would have to include a second oneworld partner besides RJ on the award.
I just booked ORD-IST, as a Business award on RJ. Because of connections to IST in and out of Amman, you pretty much have to stay overnight in Jordan. My solution-- take a few days in Jordan to visit Petra, Wadi Rum, the Dead Sea, and Jerash.

All-in RT miles for the Business award came to 195,000, plus $109 in taxes.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
Regarding ORD-IST, and avoiding BA through London:

[SIZE=1]
While RJ is a no-surcharge option, it would require more miles, as AMM is in the Middle East/India zone, and IST is in the Europe zone.

For a roundtrip with no BA segments, an Explorer award might work for 130K AA miles in Business, but you would have to include a second oneworld partner besides RJ on the award.
I just booked ORD-IST, as a Business award on RJ. Because of connections to IST in and out of Amman, you pretty much have to stay overnight in Jordan. My solution-- take a few days in Jordan to visit Petra, Wadi Rum, the Dead Sea, and Jerash.

All-in RT miles for the Business award came to 195,000, plus $109 in taxes.
Did you consider stopping or connecting somewhere in Europe in one direction, so as to add a second oneworld partner and take advantage of the less expensive Explorer award? For example, ord-amm-ist-amm-txl-ord could be had for only 115K AA miles in Business on an Explorer award. Routing via MAD instead of TXL would cost 130K miles.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Baggage allowance

Hi

Not sure this is the best place to ask this question but here goes.

I have a partner award (actually 3) to make the itinerary all booked on one locator with three ticket numbers:
DUB-LHR BA in C & LHR-KUL-HKG MH in F
HKG-BNE-ADL in C QF
SIN-HKG-LHR in C CX & LHR - BFS in Y BA

The question is, what would the baggage allowance be?

Thanks
Old May 5, 2013, 8:09 pm

[SIZE=1]Did you consider stopping or connecting somewhere in Europe in one direction, so as to add a second oneworld partner and take advantage of the less expensive Explorer award? For example, ord-amm-ist-amm-txl-ord could be had for only 115K AA miles in Business on an Explorer award. Routing via MAD instead of TXL would cost 130K miles.
Yes I considered this. But award availability to Europe, Business class, in June, is the big constraint. I used Expert Flyer, BA, IB sites to search availability through every European (and US) portal that would get me to IST the week I needed to be there. I searched for two months and nothing came up, except via Amman on RJ. I bit the bullet, plus my wife and I have miles to burn.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by circusboy
I have a partner award (actually 3) to make the itinerary all booked on one locator with three ticket numbers:
HKG-BNE-ADL in C QF

Your allowance should be stated on the ticket.
Old May 6, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, United Silver, Garuda Silver, Delta Silver
Could anyone help me with some miles math.

I have a 62.5 1st class CX ticket ready to go for this summer LAX>HKG>BKK, the only problem is I can't find saver seats in econ or biz to get me to LAX from northern michigan.

I could fly AAnytime econ from TVC to ORD and AAnytime Biz or AAnytime Econ from ORD to LAX.

How do they calculate the award when part of it is AAnytime and part of it is saver (partner) award?

Would it be 62.5k(lax-bkk saver) + 50k (TVC-LAX anytime)? I am totally confused.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Flyer Sean
Could anyone help me with some miles math.

I have a 62.5 1st class CX ticket ready to go for this summer LAX>HKG>BKK, the only problem is I can't find saver seats in econ or biz to get me to LAX from northern michigan.

I could fly AAnytime econ from TVC to ORD and AAnytime Biz or AAnytime Econ from ORD to LAX.

How do they calculate the award when part of it is AAnytime and part of it is saver (partner) award?

Would it be 62.5k(lax-bkk saver) + 50k (TVC-LAX anytime)? I am totally confused.
Yes. Since AAnytime awards are only valid on AA metal, you would have to redeem for two awards.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Your allowance should be stated on the ticket.
I thought that too, the ticket just has a link to the AA baggage policies which are pretty useless in this situation.

I called AA and got two different answers.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Hi

Not sure this is the best place to ask this question but here goes.

HKG-BNE-ADL in C QF

Thanks
I will take a crack.
On your DUB-HKG, the MSC is MH.
Its allowance according to its website for F passenger is 50KG.

For HKG-ADL in QF C:
(for ticket issued after 26FEB13) 40KG

For SIN-BFS, the MSC is CX.
30KG.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
I had an advantage award on hold (SFO-ORD // ORD -HKG -KUL -DPS) on AA/CX/MH/MH. After some painful argument with the agent, they were finally able to verify through tariff that the routing is still within 1.25 of MPM. They then priced it as one award. I put a hold on the ticket and received a voicemail three days later. They informed me that the ticket got "kicked back" to two awards. I called this morning and asked what's going on. Apparently, someone from the AAdvantage Liaison department is claiming it wasn't a valid award pricing. There seems to be a publish through fare fro SFO to DPS on CX so I don't really know what's going on. I'm supposed to call back with an answer from the Liason department (the person in that department is currently out of the office).

Update: The agent called back and said she would go ahead and ticket the award. She took my info and assured me that the award would be ticketed. A few hours later I received a call from the "training desk", telling me my award was invalid. I asked her why, and she mentioned that I am backtracking and this is not a valid routing. I then ask her when in the AAdvantage T&C restricts these sort of routing. She couldn't find it but assured me that this is a rule. The fact that it is not in the T&C is irrelevant. This sounds fishy to me, and I'll be asking for some legal advice regarding this but thought I'd ask you guys first. I'm inclined to skip the SFO routing and file SCC.

@Austinrunner - you've helped me with a several issue last year and your advice helped a lot. This time, however, it seems that some agent notated this reservation and insists it's not a valid routing!

Another update: They are apparently claiming that it's CX blocking the award since SFO is a gateway. This doesn't make any sense. Can anyone point the actual rules (not the sticky thread)?

Last LOL update: I received an email from the person denying my award booking and states this legal stand:

Each AAdvantage participant is responsible for its awards only and not for the awards of other participating companies. If an AAdvantage participant agreement changes or terminates, you may find that AAdvantage awards for that participant are no longer available. American Airlines is not responsible for any participant withdrawals, award cancellations, discontinued services, changes in any mileage levels, rules or restrictions applying to participant's awards or mileage accrual policies. AAdvantage award restrictions may be announced by American Airlines or AAdvantage participants at any time without notice.

She actually bolds the last sentence. I wonder how many times have aadvantage members denied a valid award redemption because of agents that blindly apply award rules.

Last edited by Bacopa; May 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm
Old May 8, 2013, 2:05 pm

I am departing on a trip within a week with my husband and daughter. Flying TLV-AMM-ORD on RJ. When we booked the tickets we could not find 3 available in one class, so got 2 business and 1 economy.

I was hoping another business seat would open up, but it never did. There are more economy seats available so I could change 2 business seats into 2 economy so that we can all travel together.

Will AA charge me $150 do downgrade class of service on the same flights? Alternatively, what else can I do to upgrade/get another seat in business? It would be good to sit together, one of the flights is 12+ hours and we have a toddler to take care of...
Old May 8, 2013, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at CX fares SFO-DPS, most permit SFO-HKG-DPS only, so the refusal to permit the backtracking to ORD seems feasibly correct
Old May 8, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
I will take a crack.
On your DUB-HKG, the MSC is MH.
Its allowance according to its website for F passenger is 50KG.

For HKG-ADL in QF C:
(for ticket issued after 26FEB13) 40KG

For SIN-BFS, the MSC is CX.
30KG.
Thanks, I did already check all the airlines individual policies but wondered if there would be a baggage for the whole itinerary, we can't lose 20kg before the journey home. I am considering now changing the SIN-BFS to MH to have 40KG.

Thanks again.
Old May 8, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Thanks, I did already check all the airlines individual policies but wondered if there would be a baggage for the whole itinerary, we can't lose 20kg before the journey home. I am considering now changing the SIN-BFS to MH to have 40KG.

Thanks again.
I just noticed that you are AA EXP, which is OW Emerald. According to oneworld.com you get an extra 20KG allowance. I think you are fine, as you are flying premium cabin and also are top elite within the alliance. Check-in agents at premium cabin counters tend to be more forgiving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.