FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)
Old May 8, 2013, 1:19 pm
Bacopa

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
I had an advantage award on hold (SFO-ORD // ORD -HKG -KUL -DPS) on AA/CX/MH/MH. After some painful argument with the agent, they were finally able to verify through tariff that the routing is still within 1.25 of MPM. They then priced it as one award. I put a hold on the ticket and received a voicemail three days later. They informed me that the ticket got "kicked back" to two awards. I called this morning and asked what's going on. Apparently, someone from the AAdvantage Liaison department is claiming it wasn't a valid award pricing. There seems to be a publish through fare fro SFO to DPS on CX so I don't really know what's going on. I'm supposed to call back with an answer from the Liason department (the person in that department is currently out of the office).

Update: The agent called back and said she would go ahead and ticket the award. She took my info and assured me that the award would be ticketed. A few hours later I received a call from the "training desk", telling me my award was invalid. I asked her why, and she mentioned that I am backtracking and this is not a valid routing. I then ask her when in the AAdvantage T&C restricts these sort of routing. She couldn't find it but assured me that this is a rule. The fact that it is not in the T&C is irrelevant. This sounds fishy to me, and I'll be asking for some legal advice regarding this but thought I'd ask you guys first. I'm inclined to skip the SFO routing and file SCC.

@Austinrunner - you've helped me with a several issue last year and your advice helped a lot. This time, however, it seems that some agent notated this reservation and insists it's not a valid routing!

Another update: They are apparently claiming that it's CX blocking the award since SFO is a gateway. This doesn't make any sense. Can anyone point the actual rules (not the sticky thread)?

Last LOL update: I received an email from the person denying my award booking and states this legal stand:

Each AAdvantage participant is responsible for its awards only and not for the awards of other participating companies. If an AAdvantage participant agreement changes or terminates, you may find that AAdvantage awards for that participant are no longer available. American Airlines is not responsible for any participant withdrawals, award cancellations, discontinued services, changes in any mileage levels, rules or restrictions applying to participant's awards or mileage accrual policies. AAdvantage award restrictions may be announced by American Airlines or AAdvantage participants at any time without notice.

She actually bolds the last sentence. I wonder how many times have aadvantage members denied a valid award redemption because of agents that blindly apply award rules.

Last edited by Bacopa; May 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm