Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades After Platinum Challenge?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Upgrades After Platinum Challenge?

Just finished the Platinum Challenge last week, and was wondering how upgrades work after this.

I know that upgrades are only earned everytime you fly 10k miles, but I've also heard that this only happens in increments after the minimum elite-tier requirement (for example, since you need 25k at minimum to become an "elite", you would only earn upgrades at the 35k, 45k, 55k, etc. marks). Since I've only flown 18k thus far, I would not be eligible, according to this guideline.

So is that the way it really works, or should I be earning upgrades every 10k miles, even though I didn't earn enough miles "the hard way?"

Thanks! ^
Old May 31, 2005, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will earn four upgrades after you fly 10k miles once you are elite (and after 10k thereafter). But they only cost $25 each (cheaper than in 2003), so buy some if you need them. Congrats!
Old May 31, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
With the Platinum Challenge, you become Platinum immediately. You don't have to wait to cross the 50,000 mile/point mark to start earning upgrades. There should be a counter on your "View My Miles" page that says "Miles Towards Gold / Platinum / Executive Platinum Upgrades". Every time that number rolls over a multiple of 10,000, you will receive 4 electronic stickers about 4-5 days afterwards.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:33 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Also be aware that any reservations in place (in the system) prior to you making Plat .. MUST be updated (by calling AA) to your new status. They carry the status on them when you make the reservation.

Without changing them ahead of time .. should you be wishing an upgrade, it would not clear at the Plat clearing time (or not at all probably).

Go ahead and buy on-line some upgrades... this is one of the real perks of tier structure. BUT read all the threads on EXP trumping a Plat because of the 100/72 hour window and the airport standby list priority within the tiers.

Check the Plat guide at aa.com for all the specific. I know the EXP ones mostly by heart so do not want to confuse you with something not available to a Plat.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
You should already be showing some miles earned towards upgrades as the flight you qualified on, and any subsequent flights, all earn upgrade miles.

btw, I am 100% for upgrade requests so far. I don't request them for every flight but all requested so far this year have cleared at the 72 hour mark.

Last edited by tazi; May 31, 2005 at 11:02 am
Old May 31, 2005, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Thanks for the tips!

It was actually the agent at the Platinum desk that told me I would have to wait until hitting 35k miles before getting any upgrades, but hopefully the upgrades from the last 10k miles will post in a few days...
Old May 31, 2005, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
There are no "increments" you have to hit to earn your miles. The agent probably assumed the math based on getting status at, say 25,000, and simply added 5,000 for ease of explanation. Not the way it actually happens, though.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:04 am

Don't hold your breath

I completed the Plat chall back in December (took me a whole 9 days to do it) and got my Plat card a few weeks later. Since that time I have taken an average of 4 trips per month. Most of the time I have to book about 5-7 days out, and guess how many times I have been upgraded? 2 whole times. Once from Richmond to DFW and once from Charlotte back to DFW.

I have been a DL Gold status for 5 years (was living in ATL and moved back to DFW in September) and was upgraded about 75% of the time. Loved the fact that DL had unlimited upgrades and not this 2-3 credits per segment crap. Of course, since time is money and i need to fly direct in most cases, I had to switch to AA. In 2005 i have flown DL 3 times, 2 DFW to ATL and back and 1 time from ATL to MCO and back. Guess how many times I have been upgraded on those DL flights? EVERY TIME!!

I want to be positive about AA, but their upgrade program is for the birds, especially since i seem to get stuck on those crappy MD-80/88 they seem to love to fly on nice long routes. Glad my new laptop has a DVD player cause AA sure doesnt give a damn about in flight entertainment. DFW to SEA=no entertainment, DFW to BOS= no entertainment, DFW to EWR= no entertainment, DFW to PHL= no entertainment. Same with DFW to ATL, CLT, RIC, MCO, etc. About the only "nice" plane I have flown on so far with AA has been DFW-MIA and back on the 777. I dont count the 757's that AA has been lazy about and left the TWA stickers all inside the planes in the galley.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by miked5551
I completed the Plat chall back in December (took me a whole 9 days to do it) and got my Plat card a few weeks later. Since that time I have taken an average of 4 trips per month. Most of the time I have to book about 5-7 days out, and guess how many times I have been upgraded? 2 whole times. Once from Richmond to DFW and once from Charlotte back to DFW.

I have been a DL Gold status for 5 years (was living in ATL and moved back to DFW in September) and was upgraded about 75% of the time. Loved the fact that DL had unlimited upgrades and not this 2-3 credits per segment crap. Of course, since time is money and i need to fly direct in most cases, I had to switch to AA. In 2005 i have flown DL 3 times, 2 DFW to ATL and back and 1 time from ATL to MCO and back. Guess how many times I have been upgraded on those DL flights? EVERY TIME!!

I want to be positive about AA, but their upgrade program is for the birds, especially since i seem to get stuck on those crappy MD-80/88 they seem to love to fly on nice long routes. Glad my new laptop has a DVD player cause AA sure doesnt give a damn about in flight entertainment. DFW to SEA=no entertainment, DFW to BOS= no entertainment, DFW to EWR= no entertainment, DFW to PHL= no entertainment. Same with DFW to ATL, CLT, RIC, MCO, etc. About the only "nice" plane I have flown on so far with AA has been DFW-MIA and back on the 777. I dont count the 757's that AA has been lazy about and left the TWA stickers all inside the planes in the galley.
I think you should fly AA enough to make EXP.
Then you will do a lot better with upgrades.
Your problem with upgrades are that there are too many people that are PLT or paying for F out for DFW flights. Additionally, since you book only 5-7 days out, you may be losing out to PLT flyers that have booked earlier.
With EXP, you will get more upgrades and won't have to worry about stickers.
Look at it this way. If stickers weren't needed for upgrades for Gold nd PLT, then you would have an even harder time getting them.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:09 am

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
Originally Posted by mvoight
Agree 100%. I've been PLT for about 4 months now, but I'm just hoarding my certificates and not using them, since I know that I won't get upgraded most of the time. I'm just holding out for when I hit EXP next month, when hopefully I'll be upgraded a pretty substantial amount of the time. Plus, when others travel with me, I can upgrade them using certs now.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:43 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold

I want to be positive about AA, but their upgrade program is for the birds...
This is exactly how I have felt since coming over from DL. I was only a Silver over there but was running close to 75% success rate on upgds with them. And none of this sticker crap just request the upgd and let it work it's magic. ^ ^ Unfortunately I didn't realize how good we had it over there in this regard until being forced over here. One of the best things that worked for me was utilizing DL's structure putting paid fare into the upgd equation. So I as yourself would book tix 5-7 days out but on full fare Y/B (even M) classes we'd confirm upgd at time of booking! ^ Even discount / mid level Y fares would factor into the equation. Thus as a lowly Silver I would get upgd over a GLD or PLT (DL levels) on a deep discount econ fare. That's how it should work on AA as well!! IMO

Originally Posted by mvoight
Your problem with upgrades are that there are too many people that are PLT or paying for F out for DFW flights. Additionally, since you book only 5-7 days out, you may be losing out to PLT flyers that have booked earlier.
With EXP, you will get more upgrades and won't have to worry about stickers.
Look at it this way. If stickers weren't needed for upgrades for Gold nd PLT, then you would have an even harder time getting them.
Not all of us fly enough to make EXP so it might not be a viable answer. For miked5551 maybe but I fly that mid level where I can make middle level status but never have made top. To compensate for the problem right now I have been buying YUPs whenever possible and not dealing with it.

Slight OT, but while we're on the topic do companions that you're upgding do so at the same time as you and do you have to be on the same itinerary for that? Or can you just call up the PLT desk and have them do it? thx
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by EdV
Thus as a lowly Silver I would get upgd over a GLD or PLT (DL levels) on a deep discount econ fare. That's how it should work on AA as well!! IMO
It's not unusual for a FT poster to suggest changing AAdvantage in a way that would make it easier for the poster to get upgrades (or status or whatever).

Originally Posted by EdV
Slight OT, but while we're on the topic do companions that you're upgding do so at the same time as you and do you have to be on the same itinerary for that? Or can you just call up the PLT desk and have them do it? thx
Companions on the same PNR would upgrade at the same time. If not on the same PNR, chat with the PLT desk (not a desk, but faster access to general phone agents).
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:52 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
Companions on the same PNR would upgrade at the same time. If not on the same PNR, chat with the PLT desk (not a desk, but faster access to general phone agents).
Thanks for the quick response. It's always nice to at least have wishful thinking to encorporate updates that would benefit us!

Anyhow, so for companions on the same PNR - is that what the case is when you make a reservation for yourself and a travelling companion? And if I (making res) am a PLT and the GF (non status) are on same PNR, is our upgd window still 72 hours or does she bring me down? thx in advance
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
A status person with a lower-or-no status companion raises the lower person up to the higher status level BUT when the upgrade comes in, if there is only ONE seat available, and not TWO seats available, you will be both skipped UNLESS you, in advance, get your PNR split, with the companion link being made.

Some people want all-or-nothing upgrades. Others want 1 or both upgrades. If you are all-or-nothing, you are THERE. If you want 1 or both, get AA to split the PNR record (into two different PNRs and two different confirmation numbers) and note your upgrade companion.

Last edited by 925; Jun 1, 2005 at 3:14 pm
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:55 pm

Glad my new laptop has a DVD player cause AA sure doesnt give a damn about in flight entertainment. DFW to SEA=no entertainment, DFW to BOS= no entertainment, DFW to EWR= no entertainment, DFW to PHL= no entertainment. Same with DFW to ATL, CLT, RIC, MCO, etc.
Try a book, man. It might relax you a little. Sheesh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.