Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW: Pay Us or CHAOS, AE Flight Attendants

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2005, 7:12 am

Programs: AA PLT (Ex-EXP) .7MM, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Who are we to make that determination? The market will set the price and the employees will decide to stay or go. Just like every other industry.
Exactly my point. The market says that this job is only worth $x. Because of the low pay (corresponding with the ease of training a replacement) and the sometimes difficult working conditions, it more suited to someone with a lower standard of living and less responsibility in their lives. It is also better suited to someone who doesn't expect 10% raises every year. My example above is just one instance of a person like this.
Old May 30, 2005, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Not too common, either.

I don't have the numbers in front of me to counter that but I don't see how it could be possible. Perhaps if they take the highest paid FA, who worked a maximum amount of overtime all year, then count all of the employer payroll costs associated with the employee (employer portion of payroll taxes, retirement contribution, medical, etc.) then you might hit $90k but I'm pretty sure that nobody's W2 form has a number anywhere near that come year's end.

I was replying to a simple question - what's the max salary?

My gf made ~$60K last year and according to her she worked regular hours (more or less). We started to date this year so I can't confirm but if this year is anything like last then her work load is very acceptable. The $90K plus person I've met is at the top of the totem pole.
Old May 30, 2005, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by AAND
The market says that this job is only worth $x.
It does? Have you been talking to the market lately?

When a large number of a work group are unhappy enough with the conditions that they'd stage demonstrations on their time off and risk losing the job with a possible work action I'd say that the market is out of equilibrium. The employees are part of the labor market for FA jobs and their dissatisfaction is how pressure is applied in the upward direction.

When you want a raise, or improvement in your working conditions, you don't sit there quietly hoping one is given to you. You go to your boss and make your case. When you're part of a work group of several thousand interchangeable employees you can't do it individually so you do it as a group.
Old May 30, 2005, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by andrzej
I was replying to a simple question - what's the max salary?

My gf made ~$60K last year and according to her she worked regular hours (more or less). We started to date this year so I can't confirm but if this year is anything like last then her work load is very acceptable. The $90K plus person I've met is at the top of the totem pole.
My source for the $91,050+ compensation for the top 10% is the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. The link follows:

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos171.htm
Old May 30, 2005, 1:05 pm

When you want a raise, or improvement in your working conditions, you don't sit there quietly hoping one is given to you. You go to your boss and make your case.
I do go to my boss and "make my case," and I have throughout my career. Problem is, sometimes my case wasn't that strong... I had simply reached the high-end of what my job was worth. At times, they tell me that I'm overreaching, and then, rather than threaten to destroy my employer's business, I simply decide to move on. Sure, it's a hassle, but I think it works out better for everyone in the long term.

There is only so far one can go in certain job occupations... when you have senior flight attendants making in excess of $90,000 per year for no other reason besides the fact that they've simply "stuck around," that's just plain crazy.

I was having a similar conversation with my fitness trainer the other day... he's really first rate and likes what he does. However, he realizes that there is only so far he can go as a fitness trainer.... although a lot of people will pay $60 - $80 per hour, the universe of potential customers at $300 per hour is pretty slim to non existent.

As a result, he started looking for other careers, and is now fixing up houses... making a lot of money, having fun, and learning new things.

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; May 31, 2005 at 5:05 am
Old May 31, 2005, 4:48 am

It does? Have you been talking to the market lately?

When a large number of a work group are unhappy enough with the conditions that they'd stage demonstrations on their time off and risk losing the job with a possible work action I'd say that the market is out of equilibrium ... When you want a raise, or improvement in your working conditions, you don't sit there quietly hoping one is given to you. You go to your boss and make your case. When you're part of a work group of several thousand interchangeable employees you can't do it individually so you do it as a group.
if the market demanded higher salaries for flight attendants, they would get them or there would be no flight attendants. that's how it works. in this case, they can complain all they want, but the reality is that this job can be done by my 17 year old niece with a few weeks' training, and she would be happy with $8 / hour. so why should airlines pay more when they're struggling just to stay in business? they shouldn't.

Last edited by AAND; May 31, 2005 at 4:51 am
Old May 31, 2005, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I do go to my boss and "make my case,"
That is not possible in an airline setting. The boss won't listen to your case.

when you have senior flight attendants making in excess of $90,000 per year for no other reason besides the fact that they've simply "stuck around," that's just plain crazy.
No F/A makes over $90k just for sticking around. The highest pay rates don't get anywhere near that figure. To make that amount they'd have to work significant amounts of overtime on days off doing the work of 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 flight attendants. Management likes this because they get the additional work done cheaper as they don't have the additional fixed costs of carrying an additional employee.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by AAND
if the market demanded higher salaries for flight attendants, they would get them
But they do get them. F/As for US airlines earn anywhere from about $10,000 to $90,000 per year. When 90% of the FAs in the industry are making over $20,000 per year, and the median is over $43,000, is it not surprising that those who make less than that are complaining?

An Eagle F/A earning $17,000/yr is not going to look at the more than 90% of other F/As who are making more and say, "Gee, I guess this job just won't support a higher salary". That might hold for an F/A earning $60k who wants more but not for one on Eagle wages.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:48 pm

But they do get them. F/As for US airlines earn anywhere from about $10,000 to $90,000 per year. When 90% of the FAs in the industry are making over $20,000 per year, and the median is over $43,000, is it not surprising that those who make less than that are complaining?

An Eagle F/A earning $17,000/yr is not going to look at the more than 90% of other F/As who are making more and say, "Gee, I guess this job just won't support a higher salary". That might hold for an F/A earning $60k who wants more but not for one on Eagle wages.
but it doesn't appear that it will sustain itself under the current conditions. times were different in 1998.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:58 pm

That is not possible in an airline setting. The boss won't listen to your case.
I don't think that's unique to the airline industry. I got in a situation like that once, felt like was I underpaid, then left for parts unknown where, hopefully, someone would value my skill set higher.

No F/A makes over $90k just for sticking around. The highest pay rates don't get anywhere near that figure. To make that amount they'd have to work significant amounts of overtime on days off doing the work of 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 flight attendants. Management likes this because they get the additional work done cheaper as they don't have the additional fixed costs of carrying an additional employee.
I'm just repeating the facts as reported by the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. According to them, 10% of flight attendants make more than $91,050 per year. They also state that 10% of flight attendants earn less than $20,890.... this is the number that seems to attract all the media attention, union discussion, etc., etc.

No one wants to talk about the huge earnings disparity between younger and older workers performing identical jobs. Indeed, the occupation of flight attendant features one of the biggest discrepancies between highest paid and lowest paid workers of any occupation with similar education requirements. One could reasonably make the case that the anger felt by many of the lower paid FAs would be better directed to their more senior counterparts, who, in all likelihood, have a greater influence in union matters and might have a tendency to look out for their own best interests, even if it means selling out the relative new hires.

When management enters into labor negotiations, they have a fixed amount in mind that they know they can "afford" for labor. With respect to how the pie is carved up among the talent pool, the union tends to take the lead. It is the union leaders who have agreed to compensation schemes which are heavily skewed towards senior FAs.

If I were an AE employee, I would be asking my union reps why they allow more senior FAs, who already get first crack when it comes to the best trips, to also make several times what more than their more junior peers, who not only get paid a fraction of the top earning pay, but also suffer from the getting the leftovers on routes.

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; May 31, 2005 at 1:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.