Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Faith Restored...

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2005, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum
First Class Faith Restored...

Today I flew AA 426 STL-LGA. The FA made the experience extremely enjoyable. She did the dry ice trick, which was the first time I've seen it. She was polite and her service was on the money. As soon as your glass was half-empty she was there to refill. I only wish the flight was longer. As soon as I got home I sent a message to AA customer relations online. If anyone else has had some really good experiences lately feel free to write about them. Today I felt like I was in FC during the good old days. I'm changing my attitude, I'm going to try to end my AA nitpicking ways.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by AA4LIFE
Today I flew AA 426 STL-LGA. The FA made the experience extremely enjoyable. ... Today I felt like I was in FC during the good old days. I'm changing my attitude, I'm going to try to end my AA nitpicking ways.
Thanks for posting! I meant to make a post of similar experience myself.

I flew on Wednesday AA609 ORD-SFO, and also had a very positive flight in F despite many circumstances conspiring against it.

What made the situation challenging:
- 7:35pm scheduled dept time thus no full dinner
- only window seats available when upgrade cleared
- a 2hr ground hold delay due to SFO weather

What made everything work great:
- Captain and flight attendant Glenn kept everybody in the loop as soon as info was coming in, with no attitude or false apologies (you know what I mean), just nicely delivered factual information.
- Captain declined to push back to go hang out on the tarmac, instead we stayed at the gate for about an hour and pax were allowed to deplane for food / drinks / alternative connection if carryon only, etc. Person sitting next to me grabbed his stuff and jumped on a SJC flight (and I would have done the same if I hadn't parked at SFO).
- The flight attendants had a great attitude during the gate hold and during the flight.
- My new seatmate (who had her 'upgrade come through' an hour after originally scheduled departure time due to the above person switching to another flight, beat that!) was happy to take my window seat when offered, as she was on the last leg of FCO-LHR-YYZ-ORD-SFO (phew!). She got to lean on the wall for a good nap, I got easy bathroom access. Win-win!
- The service our flight attendants provided during the flight was fast and cordial, and never 'in the way' whether the pax were sleeping, working, reading, or whatnot.
- Even the roast beef sandwich 'snack' was surprisingly edible.

End result: We got to SFO a total of 1hr 41min late at midnight, but I was still happy. Nice job AA!

Sami

Last edited by sam123; May 22, 2005 at 11:31 pm
Old May 23, 2005, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Thanks so much for sharing-- it always makes me happy to hear others love AA, too!
Old May 23, 2005, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I had few very similar experiences lately. In fact I asked my new girlfriend (AAFA ) if they received some kind of directive from the top, but according to her, they did not.

Few weeks ago on a MadDog80 flight, DFW-TPA, I and all the other passengers in the front cabin received the most excellent service ever from a very attentive, friendly, happy to be there, FA.

Just last Thursday on the DFW-HNL flight, the entire front cabin crew was just outstanding.

I'm going home today on the HNL-ORD, so I'll see what happens. Unfortunately my gf worked yesterday's flight. This is her regular route in addition to ORD-LHR. I know I would get the best service if I could have gone back with her. , but I had to stay to conclude a little business deal.

Unfortunately there are still some FAs left that just hate their job (my gf totally agrees) and when we run into these loosers, it spoils it for everybody.

Last edited by andrzej; May 23, 2005 at 5:43 am
Old May 23, 2005, 6:29 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
My trip to DEN via ORD last week was the same. I did some of it in Y and some in F. Service in both cabins was efficient and polite. Don't know if it was the ORD crews or what?! Fired off emails about specific F/A's that were really great and got a reply from Consumer Relations the very next day. Wow!
Old May 23, 2005, 6:30 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Since well over 50% of my posts in this forum have been negative in the last year, I thought I would chime in as well.

My last two flights on AA in F (both domestic) have featured top notch, enthusiastic and professional crews. In both cases, the FAs went above and beyond the call of duty, trying to make the pax as relaxed and comfortable as possible. It really felt like the old AA I knew and loved. I really admire these folks who are able to maintain such a positive attitude during what must be an extremely difficult time for them.

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; May 23, 2005 at 5:18 pm
Old May 23, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, AA Gold
There is much inconsistency in service and attitude. You simply got lucky this time.

Just wait until AA pulls their employee pension funds.
Old May 23, 2005, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum
AA Junkie..

You were supposed to keep the positive flow going. I'm not allowing negativity on this thread.
Old May 23, 2005, 8:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by andrzej
my new girlfriend (AAFA )
Congratulations andrzej . (Manners tell me to also congratulate AAFA, but tradition says that one should only congratulate the man in these situations...Hell with tradition- congrats to AAFA as well)

FT romance ^^.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2005, 9:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Seems I got lucky too - though without the dry ice trick.

SMF-DFW-DAY-DFW-SMF: first on a TW 757-231, 2nd MD80 MRTC, remainder on MD80 LRTC, all in F cabin. Everyone was very decent - even the GA at DFW on my return, where as I was standing by to board I noticed a disabled WW II Navy vet and asked if I could upgrade him as my "travelling companion" and the GA was very cooperative (though she hadn't seen his VA card, I had.)

The flights were all quite good in terms of service, FAs were as attentive as they could be (I was surprised they were able to complete pre-flight dsrink service and jacekt removal in spite of hordes of people and several problems - like the coupoe who attempted boarding in DAY with a VERY oversized hard bag on an aircraft with no closets. Even though they were mean, vindictive, etc. the bag was checked and delivered to them as they disembarked - IMO they would learn better if thet had to recover the bag at a carousel and re-process, but that's me being nasty.)

The food was - well, edible, and served pleasantly. Only time FEBO wasn't followed was DAY-DFW, which is a Continental breakfast with no choices anyway. All in all, as pleasant a trip as could be, in Mad Dog Domestic First. Only attitude I detected was from some angry functionary TSA screener at DAY.

I must be a statistical anomaly, reading FT - AA, as many of my flights are like this.
Old May 23, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
I too had some extremely good experiences as of late. I did DFW-DCA-PHX-DFW last week all in F and the service was grade A. I am about to forward some praise the way of AA customer service.
Old May 23, 2005, 9:39 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
I am flying tomorrow in C from CDG to DFW. I want to thank, in advance, all the FAs for how nice my flight is going to be, since I know already.

It's great to have an enjoyable trip and thanks to so many AA FAs for the extra efforts!
Old May 23, 2005, 9:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RayinMaui
I am flying tomorrow in C from CDG to DFW. I want to thank, in advance, all the FAs for how nice my flight is going to be, since I know already.

It's great to have an enjoyable trip and thanks to so many AA FAs for the extra efforts!
Tomorrow is SJC-ORD-FCO, and back on 6/2. I want to join RayinMaui in writing an a priori glowing FA report and think them in advance for making my last copay-free mileage upgrade experience a pleasant one.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2005, 10:00 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.8MM, UA 1k, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Week before last MIA-DEN I had an older gentleman named "Ray" as an FA in F who I think hadnt worked in about 10-15 years and didnt get the memo about the service reductions.

He started out the flight by saying, "I have plenty of drinks and booze up here and since I cant drink I have nothing to do but serve all of you." (I guess he also didnt get the standard issue FA crossword puzzle).

He lived up to his word. He was in the aisle for four hours refilling drinks. He was given refills 20 mins before landing.

On the flip side, I took DEN-LAX last night and did not get a drop of liquid until about an hour into the flight. The FAs didnt even take an order for a good 30-40 mins. they were so late that people still had dinner trays when the pilot said we were getting close to landing.
Old May 23, 2005, 10:16 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Timely thread.....I recently found myself taking AA for the first time in almost 9 months over the weekend and 3 of the 4 segments in F where great and the 1 other segment was average. All relatively short flights but the service was much better than I had remembered it and just too bad AA really isnt an option for me these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.