Spanish Security Tax (QV) $3.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US International Arrival Tax (US) $16.30
TOTAL: $153.70
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:29 pm

Hi Austinrunner,

I visited the OP in this thread after many months (may be years) and wanted to compliment you on the phenomenal work you have done at keeping this thread updated over the last few years.

I last used an OW award a few months back to get from EZE to Asia due to an urgent personal matter, and with some planning and a few additional miles was able to make much more out of it than just a one way emergency trip.

Thanks for keeping the knowledge base current. Your efforts are much appreciated.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You're welcome! Thanks very much for the appreciative thoughts.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I am trying to book AUS-LAX-HKG-MAA and return in first/business. This should cost 195K miles (a lot I know but worth it for me). I am booking two awards, AUS-HKG-AUS and HKG-MAA-HKG.

My question is how can I search on-line awards for this route?

I tried BA- no go
I tried qantas and can't search HKG-MAA
Tried Asia miles and I find availability but call AA and they don't have it.

Ideas?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Are you in the wrong thread? Are you wanting all-partner awards instead of oneworld?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:37 pm

The routing would be AUS-LAX-HKG-MAA with AUS-LAX on American so I thought this was right but am I wrong?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by NDtraveler
The routing would be AUS-LAX-HKG-MAA with AUS-LAX on American so I thought this was right but am I wrong?
Austinrunner is right. You need the AA all-partner award, not the distance-based oneworld award.

The oneworld award chart requires 2 non-AA airlines. In your example, you only have AA and CX (KA counts the same as CX).
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:11 am

So how about this

AUS-LAX-HKG-MAA with a stop in HKG hopefully

MAA-HKG-NRT-XXX-AUS

HKG-NRT on JAL and NRT-XXX on JL.

This would bring the miles down to 150 K for first class right?

I could also reverse this route and am looking for February. When I search BA I get only BA flights.... So how do I search for this now?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"This would bring the miles down to 150 K for first class right?"

For 150K AAdvantage miles, you would get a Business Class award, which would entitle you to First Class travel only on two-class AA domestic segments. (If you want First Class on the international segments, that would raise the cost of the oneworld award to 230K miles, so combining All-Partner awards would provide better value.)

And while you could fly JL HKG-TYO-U.S., you would only have to fly one JL segment (in addition to the CX segments) to qualify for a oneworld award. So, for example, you could also fly CX HKG-TYO, and JL TYO-U.S.; or JL HKG-TYO, and AA TYO-U.S. Those options should make finding award-seat availability a little easier for you.

(Edited to correct the miles required for the oneworld award in F.)

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by buddhasuda
TARGET DEPARTURE DATE: late October 2011.

GATEWAY CITY: LAX seems to offer the most flexibility for OneWorld Awards tickets. SFO is also an option.

13-Segment ONEWORLD AWARDS TICKET (50,343 miles, 160k AA): LAX -> NRT -> DEL -> AMM -> ORD -> SFO -> JFK -> MAD -> JNB -> HKG -> DPS -> SYD -> AKL -> LAX [I realize that I will have to shave this itinerary by 343 miles somehow...]

Travel Plan: Nepal/India (3 months), Middle East (2 months), USA (2 weeks), Africa (3/4 months), Indonesia (3 weeks), New Zealand (1 month)

LAX -> NRT(connection) -> DEL(stopover) - 3 months (Nov-late Jan) in Nepal/India.
DEL -> AMM(stopover) - 2 months (Feb-Mar) in the Middle East.
AMM -> ORD(stopover) - a few days.
ORD -> SFO(stopover) - 1 week back home to see my family (April/Easter).
SFO -> JFK(stopover) - a few days.
JFK -> MAD(connection) -> JNB(stopover) - 3/4 months (late Apr-early Aug) in Africa. May separately purchase NBO-JNB.
JNB -> HKG(connection) -> DPS(stopover) - 3 weeks (Aug) in Indonesia.
DPS -> SYD(connection) -> AKL(stopover) - 1 month (Sep) in New Zealand.
AKL -> LAX - Wishing I had an add'l 6 months on this ticket.

-buddhasuda
First of all, thanks Austinrunner for your quick answers to my rookie questions (back in July). It took me awhile with some trial and error before I finally found my bearings with regard to the OneWorld ticketing. I have now locked into what I think is a great 50,000 mile award ticket, and even splurged on business class.

16-Segment OneWorld Award Ticket (49,8xx miles, 220k AA): SFO -> HKG -> DEL (stopover) -> AMM (stopover) -> BKK -> HKG (stopover) -> DPS (stopover) HKG -> LAX (stopover) -> JFK (stopover) -> MAD -> JNB stopover) -> overland -> EBB -> LHR (stopover) -> BOS -> ORD (stopover) -> SFO[/B][/U]

Travel Plan: Nepal (1 month), India (3 months), Middle East (1.5 months), Hong Kong (couple of days), Indonesia (1 month), USA (2 weeks), Africa (3.5 months), London (couple of days), subject of course to date changes in the future.

Cheers.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Looks like a great trip buddhasuda

Just a suggestion
- you are not stopping over in BKK
- so why not fly AMM-HKG (RJ flies direct via BKK, but it will count as one segment)
- then you could get back to the US from DPS via DRW and BNE

SFO-HKG-DEL-AMM-HKG-DPS-drw-bne-LAX-JFK-MAD-JNB
EBB-LHR-BOS-ORD-SFO

(DPS-DRW will on JQ, which I'm pretty sure is allowed - edited to add: just checked the first post in this thread and yes flying the QF codeshare on a JQ operated flight is allowed)

Last edited by pandaperth; Oct 5, 2011 at 1:47 am Reason: Confirmed that JQ is allowed
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The OP is already planning to use RJ for AMM -> BKK -> HKG because that is the only oneworld airline flying AMM -> HKG. But you are right that the OP currently has only 15 segments:

SFO -> HKG -> DEL (stopover) -> AMM (stopover) -> HKG (stopover) -> DPS (stopover) -> HKG -> LAX (stopover) -> JFK (stopover) -> MAD -> JNB (stopover), EBB -> LHR (stopover) -> BOS -> ORD (stopover) -> SFO

If I were the OP and had not already booked my trips, I'd try to book the following (16 segments; 49,512 flown miles):

SFO -> HKG (CX) -> DEL (CX) -> AMM (RJ) -> BKK (RJ) -> SIN (CX) -> DPS (QF codeshare on JQ-operated flight) -> SYD (QF codeshare on JQ-operated flight) -> AKL (QF) -> LAX (QF) -> JFK (AA) -> MAD (IB) -> JNB (IB), EBB -> LHR (BA) -> ORD (AA) -> SFO (AA)
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SFO-HKG...-ord-sfo&DU=mi

Last edited by Austinrunner; Oct 5, 2011 at 2:48 am
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: AA, AMEX, MARRIOTT, ANA, UAL, CHASE
RTW question (coach vs. business)

I'm trying to work on a RTW using AA miles for the oneworld Airlines Award Chart.

I need between 25,000-35,000 miles and I would prefer to go business but I don't have enough mileage yet (but I could reserve in coach).

Is it possible to initially reserve in coach and then once I get more miles, upgrade to business?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Proposed route is:

SBA-LAX-ORD-PEK-NRT-TPE-HKG-JNB-CPT-JNB-MAD-LHR-AMS-MAD-LAX-SBA

Thank you.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:32 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Hi 1dream

you are talking about AA's product, which it calls a OneWorld Award

there is a thread on it in the AA forum - here's the link
oneworld Awards Using American Airlines Miles info (NOT info for All-partner awards)

The first post in the thread has lots of details of the award rules - and you'll likely find your answer there

Your itinerary totals 32,672miles accroding to gcm; so it falls into the AA Oneworld zone 8 (25,000 to 35,000 miles) - and therefore you will need 140k AA award miles for economy and 190k for business
Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:11 am

Newbie looking for validation of itinerary and ideas please!

My wife & I have just enough AA miles between us for our family of 4 to take a 14K-miles oneworld reward out of SEA (economy). We wanted to visit as many places as possible to maximize the value of the miles, and really prefer southeast Asia, but I could not find an itinerary out of SEA that's under 14K miles, unless it's limited to just a couple destinations.

So we looked east to western Europe and I came up with this intinerary:
sea-ord-lhr, cdg-mad-mia-cun-sea
which is just below 14K miles. I've studied the OP's excellent summary of the rules for oneworld reward and afaik, this itinerary is ok but I want to check with the experts here. I'm also looking for suggestions on alternatives, as we've never been to Europe (or SE Asia) so we're very open and flexible - just want to get the most out of the 14K miles. Any feedback would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.