Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

No Pre-boarding for Passengers with Children? An abberation or norm?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

LGA-DFW AA flight at 1:50 pm. My wife and our 8 month old daughter were travelling and having been on a four-leg 18 hour trip to India on KLM in January was quite sure she will be able to settle in and the baby in her seat before general boarding, as had been the case on that journey. As she waited by the gate (admittedly like one of those people who intend to get on board before their row is announced ), along with another couple with two children, she was quite surprised that First boarded, followed by the elite flyers, but no pre-boarding was announced for pax with kids. She asked me if that was just AA or was it the case with domestic carriers in the US, and since I was unable to answer, thought I'd pose the question here.

Seems to me elite and first class boarding is indeed a privilege for those who have earned it, but travellers with young children need it more.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Mostly in the US, I have noticed no announcement; gate staff move about the passenger waiting area and round up families with infants and young children – not those prone to line up for early boarding with “children” who qualify for UM status! – and pre-board them just after those needing special assistance (e.g. wheelchairs.) A welcome relief from herds of people wanting to preboard because they have four active children including two subteens and enough hand luggage to swamp the Titanic (the norm on WN, btw. I have seen twenty and more people preboard, some actually needing it.)

I recommend ANYONE expecting and needing preboarding let the gate staff know their needs.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:12 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
AA does not offer a preboard to those with children, only to those with special needs.

Also, AA often enforces the "Board with your group # only" rule too.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:22 am

Don't think it's just AA. I have never noticed an offering to board pax w/ kids when I fly Delta either.....
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
AA stopped making an announcement about preboarding families with small children a few years ago. The theory being that it slowed the boarding process (true) due to many families feeling that their 19 year old counted as a small child. At the time, agents were instructed to scan the area and quietly round up anyone that might need a little extra time to board and get it done without the announcement. Having this actually happen can be a bit hit or miss unfortunately.

If you really feel you need to preboard, I always suggest a quick visit with the gate agent whom will 9.5 times out of 10 be glad to help you out.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:54 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
If you don't ASK you won't get anything!

If you feel you need more time, approace the gate agent and ask for early boarding. All they can do is say NO!

AA stopped that procedure long ago .. as a 'rule'. But on a case by case (when requested) they MAY accomodate you.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:12 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
AA stopped making an announcement about preboarding families with small children a few years ago. The theory being that it slowed the boarding process (true) due to many families feeling that their 19 year old counted as a small child.
LOL!! I certainly saw that a few times.

My youngest is now 7, so this doesn't arise anymore. But why some parents thought their 4-yr. old entitled them to pre-boarding, I never understood.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:40 pm
rhl

Programs: 2m miler, PLT for life
I was suprised when they stopped doing the pre-boarding for those with infants. I normally notice it when I'm not traveling with my daughter. I have often helps other moms traveling alone to get themselves situation during the Elite pre-boarding. Once I helped a mother with month old twins + 2 carseats + diaper bags because no one else was helping her. I'd gotten a snotty reply when I asked the gate agent if someone could offer her some assistance. The woman had no idea any help would be available to her as it was only her second time flying.

I'm lucky that my 2 year old loves to fly. All it takes is to push back from the gate and she's out like a light. Just like mommy!
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by knit-in
LGA-DFW AA flight at 1:50 pm. My wife and our 8 month old daughter were travelling and having been on a four-leg 18 hour trip to India on KLM in January was quite sure she will be able to settle in and the baby in her seat before general boarding, as had been the case on that journey. As she waited by the gate (admittedly like one of those people who intend to get on board before their row is announced ), along with another couple with two children, she was quite surprised that First boarded, followed by the elite flyers, but no pre-boarding was announced for pax with kids. She asked me if that was just AA or was it the case with domestic carriers in the US, and since I was unable to answer, thought I'd pose the question here.

Seems to me elite and first class boarding is indeed a privilege for those who have earned it, but travellers with young children need it more.
On SEA-DFW yesterday they announced and pre-boarded several families with young children. This is by far the exception in my experience, however.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
MCO-LGA 2 weeks ago they specifically announced, as if to emphasize the point and kill any expectations, that there is no longer any pre-boarding. (I thought I saw Mickey cry.)
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:23 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by knit-in
Indeed they do..... and when they're flying FC or have earned elite status, they can too have it ....
Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by inlanikai
MCO-LGA 2 weeks ago they specifically announced, as if to emphasize the point and kill any expectations, that there is no longer any pre-boarding. (I thought I saw Mickey cry.)
They were making this announcement in Orlando before they did away with pre-boarding everywhere else. Actually, the announcement was "we do not pre-board families with small children because everyone in Orlando is a family with small children."
Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
They were making this announcement in Orlando before they did away with pre-boarding everywhere else. Actually, the announcement was "we do not pre-board families with small children because everyone in Orlando is a family with small children."
That was it exactly! ^
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:00 pm

Preboarding at DTW allowed

I was traveling from DTW to DFW this week, and a lady with a toddler and an infant approached the desk and asked if she could pre-board. Not only did they allow it, but a gate attendant carried a car seat and a bag on the plane for her.

I agree with those who advised that when one asks for needed assistance the gate attendants and flight attendants are usually happy to oblige.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Since I was not there, and we have not discussed this any further since the first day I spoke to her, I can't say for sure if she asked anyone for assistance or not. But it does seem like from what she had said then that she had parked herself near the gate, with the baby and all that goes with it (right, there is a slight bit more to carry-on with a baby). So even if she didn't say anything, I am almost certain she was visible to the GA(s).

But as someone wrote you don't get it unless you ask... next time on the NYC subway, I'll probably look the other way when a pregnant woman comes stands next to me and wont give her my seat unless she asks. Most other people do the same anyway? (nah... just kidding )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.