Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Reduced After Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Fare Reduced After Purchase

Hi. I bought the following for £297 with a promotional code from AA's UK website (I'm not sure of the exact fare class, but it's discounted Y): LHR-ORD-DFW-LGA-DFW-ORD-LHR.

Now I notice that AA's website has brought in new promotional fares so the exact same itinerary on the exact same dates. The new price is £230, with no promotional code available. Five out of the six flights are the same as my original booking.

Is this a case of "buyer beware", or can I expect AA to consider refunding the difference, either as a refund to my credit card, or in a voucher?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:12 pm

Five out of six being the same is probably one flight too few.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

The only difference was that the LGA-DFW flight was one hour later on the cheaper new fare! Is it still worth taking up with AA?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by COMPTON SID
The only difference was that the LGA-DFW flight was one hour later on the cheaper new fare!
That's enough to prevent you from getting the rollover.

Is it still worth taking up with AA?
I wouldn't do it until I knew what the availability situation was on my flight.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 2:44 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Is it still worth taking up with AA?
I'd call AA and ask 'em to reprice the ticket. If your international itin is now available for a lower price, they'll refund the difference to your credit card.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum - HH Gold - Marriott Gold - SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I'd call AA and ask 'em to reprice the ticket. If your international itin is now available for a lower price, they'll refund the difference to your credit card.
Less the applicable change-fee correct?
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:56 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by cruisereg
Less the applicable change-fee correct?
They don't charge a fee on an international itin if you keep the same flights (i.e. if the only change is to reprice the existing ticket). If an international itin goes down in price, they refund the difference to your credit card.

Domestic itins are different: they do charge a reticketing fee for domestic, and I believe they only issue the refund in the form of a travel voucher. Does anyone have any recent experience with this? (i.e. will they now issue a monetary refund due to the fact that they're charging a reticketing fee?)
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:01 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL SM.UA,HA
After reading this thread I decided to check my Oct. res LGA-HNL. It had in fact gone down $190 for the exact flights. Upon calling AA last night was charged $100 fee and will receive $90 voucher.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JFKATC
After reading this thread I decided to check my Oct. res LGA-HNL. It had in fact gone down $190 for the exact flights. Upon calling AA last night was charged $100 fee and will receive $90 voucher.
I thought the rollover fee was only supposed to be $25? Unless this had changes in fare class. Then the $100 would apply.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:58 am

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
thanks

I just saved $100 by repricing an international ticket - and they said my double-miles offer from Feb was not affected I had no clue one could do that hehe.
Thanks FT!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Wow, this is a very timely topic! I noticed the other day that the fare for my itinerary was reduced and I've been kicking myself since I noticed.

I just called AA and they refunded $146 back to my credit card and also confirmed that it doesn't cancel out the purchase date which was during the double miles promotion.

Thanks so much for the tip!

^ ^ ^
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Actually a very nice lady on the EXP desk said my original ticket hadn't been issued yet (despite the website saying it had been on 2/18) - it was still in the London queue. So, while she could cancel the original booking and do a new one to save me £50, I wouldn't be eligible for the DBL05 bonus, as the ticket was going to be issued long after the deadline.

Or do you guys know something different?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
My MCI-NGO fare for May dropped $50 from $577 to $527 on the web special. So I called reservations and they credited the difference back immediately (well it wasnt that quick..the agent had to call around...but it got done).

Thanks again FT'ers!!
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:24 am

Actually a very nice lady on the EXP desk said my original ticket hadn't been issued yet (despite the website saying it had been on 2/18) - it was still in the London queue. So, while she could cancel the original booking and do a new one to save me £50, I wouldn't be eligible for the DBL05 bonus, as the ticket was going to be issued long after the deadline.
If your double mileage does not post, you can contact AAdvantage Customer Service after the fact and they'll probably correct the posting.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
If your double mileage does not post, you can contact AAdvantage Customer Service after the fact and they'll probably correct the posting.
I would think not in this case. Since the original never ticketed, and this is a new purchase made after the deadline (as opposed to a rollover on an existing fare), I think that it does not qualify. Given the circumstances, I think a case can be made to allow it to count, but it would not be, IMO, guaranteed. good luck .

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.