Changes to AA baggage policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Miles&More, Miles&Smiles
Changes to AA baggage policy

Hello

I found this information on the BATravelTrade :

With effect from 1 March 2005 American Airlines (AA) will be making a number of changes to their baggage policy.

The new free baggage allowance has been reduced from 70lbs (32 kg) to 50lbs (23kg)
AA is changing it's free baggage weight allowance to be consistent for all destinations.
(baggage weighing over 70lbs - 32kg will not be accepted on flights to Europe and Asia.)

There will be a $25 excess fee for any checked bag weighing over 50lbs (23kg). The current excess overweight fees will apply for any checked bag weighing from 51-70lbs.

Customers should be advised that if their checked baggage is over 50lbs (23 kg) they will be charged an excess baggage fee.

Can somebody confirm this information? What do you think about that? Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:48 am
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
Welcome to flyertalk.

check out this thread on this topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403541
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
True! This is getting ridiculous...

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...llowance.jhtml

Why don't they just put in full page adds in all the papers asking all pax to go and fly United or someone else? All of this is getting to be a bit much. No food on 9 hour flights to Hawaii, no drinks on European flights when their European competitors offer this, charge for upgrades etc, etc....
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Miles&More, Miles&Smiles
jsm

Many thanks
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...llowance.jhtml

Why don't they just put in full page adds in all the papers asking all pax to go and fly United or someone else? All of this is getting to be a bit much. No food on 9 hour flights to Hawaii, no drinks on European flights when their European competitors offer this, charge for upgrades etc, etc....

The international baggage limits and charges are the same with all US based airlines.

This has more to do with baggage handler's unions than it does with the airlines.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Did UA change theirs recently as well? To my knowledge it was 70 Ibs for international.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Antlers or hanggliders, up to 100 pounds are still allowed however for an $80 fee.

Seriously, the limit is two bags of 50# each not 50# total.

So you have a family off to Hawaii, or wherever, four people - if they cannot live for a week with 400 pounds of luggage and carry-on in addition to that they don't know how to travel.

I haven't checked luggage since they embargoed ITI interlining after 9/11 even after they restored that service.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hmm...so what happens to ATW tickets et al with this new change; with my ticket for june,

I can take 32kg *2 from CAI-LHR LCY-FRA-SIN-SYD and around OZ/NZ

When travelling via US on the return

I can take 32kg *2 on SYD-HNL on QF

If I then take AA from HNL-ORD is the limit then 23Kg per piece and I'll now have to pay surcharges on the AA sectors; If I book the HNL-ORD on the QF codeshare, will I still be allowed the 32Kg ... seems a good incentive to use the codeshares

Also, if someone books the AA codeshare on the QF flight SYD-LAX for example, will they be charged excess baggage if it exceeds 23Kg

This does seem a stupid change in relation to multi carrier tickets since there will no longer be consistency in the allowance for the whole journey. Someone doing 6 discrete sectors in the US can now be hit for charge of $300 extra for using AA.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 5, 2005 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:39 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If I then take AA from HNL-ORD is the limit then 23Kg per piece and I'll now have to pay surcharges on the AA sectors
Actually this has not changed for US domestic flight, as you would have had to pay a surcharge anyway. This most recent change applies to AA international flights which used to allow 70 lbs/32 kgs. There has always been a 50 lbs/23 kgs limit for US Domestic flights.

But we allow a huge carry-on in the US, so I recommend you pack one in your 32 kgs bag and then you can use it here in the states and be like one of the locals with your 40 lbs/18 kgs.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Mar 5, 2005 at 3:42 pm
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:48 pm

more on weight restrictions.........

One funny exception to the 50lb rule.......... golf clubs up to 70 lbs are still allowed without any excess fee!

Me thinks the AA "brass" are duffers!

Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Actually this has not changed for US domestic flight, as you would have had to pay a surcharge anyway. This most recent change applies to AA international flights which used to allow 70 lbs/32 kgs. There has always been a 50 lbs/23 kgs limit for US Domestic flights.
I thought that the previous change where the allowance dropped to 32 Kg only applied to domestic itineries. I was under the impression that domestic sectors of international itineries still were entitled to the 32Kg allowance.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 5, 2005 at 3:59 pm
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:18 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I thought that the previous change only applied to domestic itineries. I was under the impression that domestic sectors of international itineries still were entitled to the 32Kg allowance
They may have been, but I assumed you were making a stop in HNL, and elsewhere in the US. Once you stop for more then 24 hours, then when you go back to the airport for your flight to a US destination that would be a domestic US flight and domestic baggage rules would apply. The only way it would not be domestic is that if your final destination ex-HNL was international. So if you flew SYD-HNL, stayed for a few days, flew AA HNL-LAX-MIA-GCM with no stopovers, stayed in GCM a few days, and then flew AA GCM-MIA-LHR with no stopovers. Then International (or actually Caribbean in the case of HNL-GCM flights) baggage rules would apply.

With the logic you provide, then traveling Qantas on an ATW I could use international ciriteria for carry-on and other baggage on my Australian domestic flights. I don't think that would fly either. When you check in for these flights I do not believe they look to see where you have flown the previous week, or will be flying the next week. They are only interested in the flights for which you are being given boarding passes today. One reason why I have researched all the baggage and carry-on rules, etc. on other OW airlines. I even bought a tiny little cute roll aboard about he size of a laptop case for my ATW trip. My US sized carry-on will be one of my 2 checked bags; although I am rethinking suing a larger bag and placing my us sized carryon inside it. We'll see. I have 6 different sized crew-4 and crew-5 bags so I can do a mix-n-match when the time comes.

Now if I am wrong, then someone please correct me.

Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BobCharlap

That's "one" word for them......
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by andrzej
The international baggage limits and charges are the same with all US based airlines.

This has more to do with baggage handler's unions than it does with the airlines.
Not sure. From the previously cited thread....

Originally Posted by hillrider
  • BA: "Two pieces with total dimensions 158cm (62ins) (length+height+width) and a maximum weight per piece of 32kg (70lbs)"
  • UA: "2 pieces: maximum size of each checked bag is 62 inches/157cm (length + width + height), maximum weight per checked bag is 70 pounds/32kg each"
  • LH: "you may check in two pieces of baggage. Each bag may weigh up to 32 kg. The sum of the three dimensions of one bag shall not exceed 158 cm, and in Economy Class 273 cm for both bags."
  • LX: "2 pieces each no more than 158 cm / 62 in (for F/J, slighly less for Y) and maximum weight per piece of 32 kg / 70 lbs"
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:34 pm

Programs: SPG GLD
Originally Posted by BobCharlap
One funny exception to the 50lb rule.......... golf clubs up to 70 lbs are still allowed without any excess fee!

Great! I'll just pack my luggage in golf bags and I won't have to worry about excess fees!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.