Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to AA baggage policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by Governator
Not sure. From the previously cited thread....

I did say US based airlines....

AA will allow up to a 70 lbs. bag, but there will be a charge too, just like UA. The max refers to the max the airline will allow, not the max without a charge.

www.aa.com:

For tickets issued on after March 1, 2005, for travel to all American Airlines destinations, (including international) checked baggage weighing over 50 lbs/23 kgs but not more than 70 lbs/32 kgs will be charged at the rate of $25 per piece. Any such bags will also be identified with a special tag to alert handlers.

www.ual.com:

Checked baggage weighing over 50 pounds/23 kg will be charged $25 per piece.

Last edited by andrzej; Mar 5, 2005 at 7:41 pm
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This is what I see on united.com:

"International travel baggage information
For travel on United to/from the U.S. 50 states, including San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas U.S.V.I., you may check two bags free of charge.

The maximum size of each checked bag is 62 inches/157cm (length + width + height).
The maximum weight per checked bag is 70 pounds/32kg each.
United recommends that you arrive at the airport 2 hours prior to departure to complete the check-in process.
Baggage must be checked at the airport at least 45 minutes in advance of flight departure time.
Fees for overweight and oversize baggage vary by destination. Contact United or your travel agent prior to your trip for details.
Each checked bag must have the name of the person traveling on the outside of the bag, and we recommend on the inside as well. United's 1K Premier Executive, Premier Executive and Star Alliance Gold members are allowed a third piece of checked baggage free of charge"

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51146,00.html

The domestic section says 50 Ibs.

Am I missing something?

PS:

NWA:

"Travel to/from the United States/Canada
Northwest Airlines will accept a total of two pieces of checked luggage, subject to maximum weight limitation, which is 70 pounds (32 kgs) per piece and not more than 62 linear inches (158 cm) per piece."

http://www.nwa.com/travel/tips/baggage.html#intl_lug

CO:

"International Travel (except Canada)

International allowances, rates and excess baggage policies vary by destination and time of the year (peak and off peak seasonal travel). Please contact Continental Airlines Reservations at 1-800-525-0280 to obtain specific rates based on destination and time of travel.

Free Baggage Acceptance*
2 Checked Bags: Maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height) per piece"

http://www.continental.com/travel/po...#international

Might add that a 3rd piece is permitted for BusinessFirst!

Delta also appears to follow the industry standard. What airlines are with AA on this?

PPS - I rarely check bags but occasionally, like when my sister "moved" to Paris for a year it makes a difference and for AA to do this is just another little nickel and dime annoyance that will hopefully cost much more than it will bring in.

Last edited by Altaflyer; Mar 5, 2005 at 8:19 pm
Old Mar 6, 2005, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
They may have been, but I assumed you were making a stop in HNL, and elsewhere in the US. Once you stop for more then 24 hours, then when you go back to the airport for your flight to a US destination that would be a domestic US flight and domestic baggage rules would apply. The only way it would not be domestic is that if your final destination ex-HNL was international.

No. even with a stopover , the international rules should apply

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
With the logic you provide, then traveling Qantas on an ATW I could use international ciriteria for carry-on and other baggage on my Australian domestic flights. I don't think that would fly either.
Actually, that is exactly the case. If you fly on a domestic sector on a sector of an international ticket, the baggage rules of the international flight apply. This is regardless of stopover length.

e.g. if you purchase SYD-MEL on it's own, in Y 1 piece is permitted / 3 in J
If part of a trip from Europe via Asia, then 20Kg is permitted /30 in J/ 40 in F
If part of a trip including the USA, then 2 pieces are permitted in all classes

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 6, 2005 at 2:12 am
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:28 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
The pay per use restroom fee has got to be around the corner....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.