Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to "buy up" an international award?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Possible to "buy up" an international award?

I had a second thought about traveling in economy!! I'd much rather be up front.

So what are my chances of scoring a first class upgrade for an international award travel (DFW-CCS)? Currently I have ticketed a coach award ticket. Unfortunately, I don't have the miles to upgrade. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to approach the checkin agent, or what sort of chances I have. I'd probably be willing to spend $500 one-way for the upgrade. I have seen in the past, United offering business class upgrades at checkin for fairly reasonable prices. Is anything like this possible on AA? You'd think that AA would be all to willing to take in some extra $$$ from a "non-rev" pax like me. @:-)

BTW....I see there are first award seats available for the dates in question (coming up real soon).

Also....I don't have elite on AA this year.

Any ideas welcome, thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
No upgrades on award tickets.

You could alwats cancel you economy award ($100 fee) and take out the first class award.

or

Beg!

Good luck!
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA will let you swap your economy award for a business/first award without mileage redeposit and change fee.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:27 am

Location: CGN (Cologne, Germany), travel agent, hardcore Sabre user
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, LH, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, AX Centurion
IIRC there used to be an undocumented feature which allowed you to buy a so-called "paid upgrade" on awards. It was calculated as the difference between (in your case) full J and full Y, which is 998 US$ round-trip. Don't know if this still applies - I suggest you specifically use the wording "paid upgrade" when asking.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
If you don't have the miles for J you could redeposit, buy econ, then use your miles to upgrade.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:53 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by jreichel
IIRC there used to be an undocumented feature which allowed you to buy a so-called "paid upgrade" on awards. It was calculated as the difference between (in your case) full J and full Y, which is 998 US$ round-trip. Don't know if this still applies - I suggest you specifically use the wording "paid upgrade" when asking.
This benefit was eliminated several years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.