Wiki Posts
Search

AA Announces "Delicious Meals in Flight--AT NO CHARGE!"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bbkenney
Would you all please cut it out before AA gets the idea to put DC6's back into service.
If AA brought the stewardesses back too -- as they were, not as they are -- then I think I'd take that deal.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:51 pm

Qualifications

Originally Posted by sipples
If AA brought the stewardesses back too -- as they were, not as they are -- then I think I'd take that deal.

Since ya asked, Here are the TWA qualifications from 1945:

TWA Air Hostess Qualifications
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Wow. Note that it says "one year" of college, not "at least one year." Might that requirement have implied "finishing school," essentially?

This ad and the upthread "Men Only" ad got me curious whether the airlines practiced racial segregation aboard their flights. From what I can find out, no, apparently not. Jim Crow was too impractical aboard an airplane. I found several references to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. flying alongside everyone else, including on Delta. My guess is that the airlines had no interest in creating separate cabins (for powerful economic reasons), the technology (airplanes) was too new, that flying was a rare experience for everyone (including ardent segregationists/bigots), and that interstate travel didn't lend itself well to state-by-state regulation.

Airports did have segregated facilities, however. (Apparently there are still bricked-up traces of the "Colored Only" restrooms at the airport in Jackson.)

I'm not one to get overly romantic about "how much better it was in the good old days..." In 1936 American Airlines served hot, delicious meals -- and you might have died of polio before you ever got to enjoy them. That said, I think there are some lessons to be learned here. Service still counts in a service industry.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:30 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Originally Posted by kerflumexed

I don't think we want the women hired through that ad. They would be 81-86 years old today
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Originally Posted by Traveller
This would have been big savings on the Dallas-El Paso-Douglas-Tucson-Phoenix-LA route!
Reminds me of today's WN route map
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Originally Posted by jaynyc
I don't think we want the women hired through that ad. They would be 81-86 years old today
And some of them are still flying... I'm sure I saw some on the last flight to LHR.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by bbkenney
Would you all please cut it out before AA gets the idea to put DC6's back into service.
Hmm, Are you sure they would be any worse than the ex TWA MD80's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.