Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big News from AA? Emphasis on the ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Zzzzz... what's the next big news out of AA going to be: "AA employees rewarded for treating pax with common courtesy and respect?"
now THAT would be big news!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
How does Tango work at a non-fortress hub airport or non-hub airport? Surely AA doesn't have as much sway getting to a gate ASAP at EWR or SFO, for example.

Or do I not have a grasp on ATC?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
This reminds me of the Long Island Rail Road and their version of "Liars, Damn Liars and Statisticians." They once declared a train was "on time" if it arrived at Penn Station within A+6. Of course, as any one who has experienced the LIRR knows, they had a hard time obtaining that. So, in their infinite wisdom, they declared the train was on time if it got into the Penn Station control area within A+6. Poof! Their on-time recod miraculously imporved. Never mind that the pax couldn't depart the train for another 5 minutes or so.

So, what constitutes the arrival time in AA's defintion? When it's on the ramp, when it hits the blocks, when the brake is set or when the cabin door is actually opened giving the pax the opportunity to deplane?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 3:40 am
tt7

Originally Posted by JerryFF
"How to Lie with Statistics" rears its ugly head yet again in the great corporate world. Obviously, TANGO does not improve the overall on-time performance of the airline. It only appears that way because of the yes or no aspect of the A+14 on-time arrival system. The FAA would do a lot better simply publishing the average number of minutes late (or early) of all flights. Then, this nonsensical game playing would be meaningless.
Bingo! - give that man a gold star......

Your 'already 40 minutes late flight' will now get pushed out of the way and made even later so AA can fudge the numbers .... what a farce.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer
[B]American Airlines 'Tangos' To Better On-Time Record
It looks like WingNaPrayer got this article from the NBC5 (Dallas) website, so I'm assuming that this was indeed the story that they were teasing during the day yesterday?

I've always found NBC5's teases to be just that... they OFTEN tease some big story about AA and then proceed to talk about the story for 10-15 seconds during the actual newscast. Glad to know that their teases now have spread to FT.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:10 am

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
I think you will be hearing something today....folks in South Florida will be happy

Last edited by G- five; Nov 18, 2004 at 6:51 am
Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by JerryFF
"How to Lie with Statistics" rears its ugly head yet again in the great corporate world.
I saw this great quote somewhere a long time ago:

A statistician is someone who can draw a straight line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp

A statistician is someone who can draw a straight line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

American may lower fares

American Airlines is expected to unveil lower fares with fewer restrictions for the South Florida market today, as part of a push to compete with discount carriers and boost passenger loyalty.

The airline, a source says, will reduce traditionally higher walk-up fares and eliminate certain requirements regarding length of stay on various flights.

Details on American's new South Florida rates are expected to be disclosed today at a news conference in Miami. The airline has so far said only that it will ``announce a new initiative for Miami and the South Florida community.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...0208470.htm?1c
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:41 am
Suspended

Why do I sense a lot of time in the penalty box on my AUS-DFW flights in the future....
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by venk
They could combine this with a marketing gimmick.

"Your flights will be on time or you get a free can of soda or a $20 voucher".

Doesn't mean all flights in time and you may have to jump through hoops to get the can of soda or the time-limited, restricted voucher (for which you will have to pay $10 to ticket). Most will lose the vouchers. But it spreads the impression that they are on time.

Last week when I flew, I was surprised at the emphasis on on time departure from more than one pilot in their announcements. Clearly some training notes have gone out ahead to prepare the staff for this.

If your flights are not within TANGO GUIDELINES, you get a pillow.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Talking

As a statistician, I take exception to this characterization.

Seriously though, AA has had similar initiatives in the past. What I don't understand is the need for constant press releases about how "good" they're getting. Why not just implement the idea? Then, if the on-time numbers improve, then you can say "We're the #1 on-time airline..."
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, TG, US, Priority Club, HHonors, Club Carlson, etc.

No...a REAL statistician is someone who can SPOT THE IDIOTS who TRY TO draw a straight line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

I am also a statistician and get really worked up when catching these imbecils on the news trying to pass on statistically invalid conclusions -- especially those "fun fact" correlations, ie. when a republican wins the presidency, a team from one-or-the-other league wins the Super Bowl more times than not. Unfortunately, much of the general, unthinking public absorb it all as "facts".
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:06 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BigTex
American may lower fares
Seeing that American's discount fares seem to have increased by about 50 percent in the last 4 months, you mean that American may lower fares back to where they were around July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.