Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st time qual for EXP ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:49 am
Original Poster

1st time qual for EXP ?

I will qualify EXP with enough points for the first time this year. Been PLT for many years. Thing is, I'll qualify in mid sector. I'm travelling from LAX-NRT in November and will return in December. When I qualify having completed the 1st sector will my EXP status activate right away? Or does it become active when my PLT status expires in Feb.'05 I was hoping that my return sector would count for starting the YTD elite points/miles.
I tried asking this in another thread but maybe it was the wrong one.
Thanks,
Ramondo.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will be EXP as soon as you cross 100k points or miles - your plat status will just change to EXP. No need to wait til Feb (that's just when status expires, not when it takes effect - it takes effect the day you cross the threshhold).
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ramondo
I will qualify EXP with enough points for the first time this year. Been PLT for many years. Thing is, I'll qualify in mid sector. I'm travelling from LAX-NRT in November and will return in December. When I qualify having completed the 1st sector will my EXP status activate right away? Or does it become active when my PLT status expires in Feb.'05 I was hoping that my return sector would count for starting the YTD elite points/miles.
Thanks,
Ramondo.
Good news/Bad news:

^ Good news: Your EXP status will be active right away and expire in Feb. '06.
Bad news: Your YTD elite points/miles won't reset until 12-31/1-1. So your return trip won't count for next year.

Congrats! I should be joining you as EXP in November.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:56 am
tt7

Originally Posted by ramondo
Thanks,
Ramondo.
Your EXP status will activate "right away" (well, more or less right away, given that it takes AA several days to post miles for even routine domestic flights...). However, the YTD elite points/miles clock only resets on January 1 so your return flight from NRT in December is "wasted" as far as elite qualifying is concerned (i.e., return on January 1, if you can....)
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Your advice was very helpful. Since I'm finally going to qualify for EXP, I decided that I'd now be able to try another airline to SEA to see how they perform. I'm going back to BKK for New Years with SQ RT to Tiapei and got a RT on Eva from TPE. It ended up being like $1500 less the it was booking it through on Travelocity. The LAX-TPE was $2600 and the TPE-BKK was about $600 all in bizclass. I do 1 sector in '04 and 1 in ' 05 I'm thinking about changing the outbound sector to CX so I can start the year with a good 12,000 points at least. But I'd have to cancel both tickets and rebook with aa.com and spend about $500 more so I'm not sure. I'm glad I'm making EXP so we'll see how that is through the coming year.
Thanks again,
Ramondo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.