Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA comped me to Gold without Challenge or request?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2004, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
AA comped me to Gold without Challenge or request?

Looked through the last week's worth of threads and didn't see anything, forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere.

I received the e-mail last week stating I'd been signed up by AA (didn't request it) for the Gold/Plat challenge. I've flown AA maybe 6 revenue segments this year, and nowhere near any of the qualifying criteria for Gold.

Today at DCA when I checked in for an AA flight to STL, my BP showed GLD and Group 1. Changed my seat at the gate and it again came up GLD.

Did AA just comp me gratis? This happen to anyone else? Not that I'm complaining...
Old Aug 3, 2004, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
Looked through the last week's worth of threads and didn't see anything, forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere.

I received the e-mail last week stating I'd been signed up by AA (didn't request it) for the Gold/Plat challenge. I've flown AA maybe 6 revenue segments this year, and nowhere near any of the qualifying criteria for Gold.

Today at DCA when I checked in for an AA flight to STL, my BP showed GLD and Group 1. Changed my seat at the gate and it again came up GLD.

Did AA just comp me gratis? This happen to anyone else? Not that I'm complaining...
I know this is a stupid question, but your profile says "closing in on AA 1mm"-- any chance you crossed same since the last time you checked your aadvantage account?
Old Aug 3, 2004, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I know this is a stupid question, but your profile says "closing in on AA 1mm"-- any chance you crossed same since the last time you checked your aadvantage account?
Thought of that - nope, 94x,xxx lifetime AAdvantage miles.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:19 pm

this happened to a friend of mine. he probably flew 3x this year. nothing high mileage and probably all in Q...all of a sudden, he was gold
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe a temporary comp through a hotel or credit card status?
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, AA Gold
It's either a credit card comp, or they comped you for a "Gold trial challenge". You might have to fly 5000 miles to keep the status. Have you checked your email lately? The AA email announcing your temp gold status may have accidentally gone into you spam folder. That is what happened to me.

Last year I was comped to Gold, but I had to fly another 5000 miles to keep that status. I made it, then I took a Plat challenge and made that easily. I have 10 more flights booked for the remaining part of this year.

EXP here I come! ^
Old Aug 4, 2004, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAJunkie
It's either a credit card comp, or they comped you for a "Gold trial challenge". You might have to fly 5000 miles to keep the status. Have you checked your email lately? The AA email announcing your temp gold status may have accidentally gone into you spam folder. That is what happened to me.

Last year I was comped to Gold, but I had to fly another 5000 miles to keep that status. I made it, then I took a Plat challenge and made that easily. I have 10 more flights booked for the remaining part of this year.

EXP here I come! ^
Hmmm...no email anywhere (thanks for the hint about the spam folder, as airline stuff does end up there sometimes), and I don't have any AA credit cards - in fact, no relationship with Citibank at all, ever.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:44 pm

Happened to me last year. Online at AA showed GOLD even though I have not flown them that year. Asked AA about it - some sort of promo - since I didn't make gold from flying it went away after two months or so.

I hadn't signed up for anything.

cejkwj
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
So... any thoughts on how they choose people to comp to GLD? and what I can do to be comp'ed to EXP?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:02 pm
Suspended

I guess it's a new round of trial-gold memberships;
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155916
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
In about Nov of 2002 or so I got signed up for the Plat Challenge without asking for it. Got an e-mail from AA to the effect. Didn't know what it was back then, but took advantage of it.

Now if only they did have an EXP challenge or something.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
In about Nov of 2002 or so I got signed up for the Plat Challenge without asking for it. Got an e-mail from AA to the effect. Didn't know what it was back then, but took advantage of it.

Now if only they did have an EXP challenge or something.
EXP challenge? Sure, do you like RJs and prop planes? If so, sign yourself up for 200 segments @ 500 min. Q-points/Q-miles per segment and you're there!

FewMiles..
Old Aug 4, 2004, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by FewMiles
EXP challenge? Sure, do you like RJs and prop planes? If so, sign yourself up for 200 segments @ 500 min. Q-points/Q-miles per segment and you're there!
You mean that's all there is to it?!?!
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
That's right, now off you go! You'd better get started soon.

FewMiles..
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Well, you do get 12 months to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.