Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExPlat Status denied

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
Originally Posted by emcat
Thus, you are sitting on a place that could have been sold to other people while still paying less money.
To look at it from a glass-is-half-full standpoint, chances are the seat you bought on a discount fare would have gone out empty. I'd guess that easily over 90% of legacy carrier flights (perhaps LCC as well) take off with empty seats (not counting non-revs). Every buck an airline collects is worthwhile, otherwise they wouldn't offer discount fares. Of course, walk-up/last minute exorbitant-fare bucks are appreciated more. Just looking at it from another perspective.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AuAAdvantage
Every buck an airline collects is worthwhile, otherwise they wouldn't offer discount fares.
I agree with your observation. However, if AA only got F pax, they would be able to fly less planes while getting more revenue. I realize that this comparison is unfair and maybe unrealistic given the market, but my point is that AA has an incentive to reward full-fare F/C travel.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
Originally Posted by emcat
...but my point is that AA has an incentive to reward full-fare F/C travel.
Very true. But in doing that, they have to be careful not to screw over the discount fare flyer. That's how Delta lost several thousand dollars worth of business per year from myself and my family. Thay decided to give only half credit towards elite status on discount fares and had the nerve to call it an "enhancement" (like I'm too dumb to figure out I'm getting the shaft!), even though the elite status they gave me (Silver Medallion) cost them virtually nothing. Well, bottom line is that AA's coffers got enhanced, at least in my case.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AuAAdvantage
Very true. But in doing that, they have to be careful not to screw over the discount fare flyer. That's how Delta lost several thousand dollars worth of business per year from myself and my family. Thay decided to give only half credit towards elite status on discount fares and had the nerve to call it an "enhancement" (like I'm too dumb to figure out I'm getting the shaft!), even though the elite status they gave me (Silver Medallion) cost them virtually nothing. Well, bottom line is that AA's coffers got enhanced, at least in my case.
That's why I like the AA/UA system best. You can get Elite on base miles, but you can ALSO get it faster on higher fares. It's "fair" - no pun intended!
Old Dec 26, 2004, 3:36 pm

I am 47500 q pts and 33k miles.
Would i have any chance of asking for plat status next year?

I just couldnt put myself on another flight this year.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
I am 47500 q pts and 33k miles.
Would i have any chance of asking for plat status next year?

I just couldnt put myself on another flight this year.
do a mr if you want to be plt next year

logic would say that they would want to keep you as a AA flyer but on the other hand if 47.5 q points were enough then they would lower the thresh hold for plt to that. its a tough call but they do have to make it now and then.
what i think AA should do is add a new category for earning elite status. now they have miles and points they should also add revenue, i.e. at $5000 you get gold regardless of how many miles were flown and 10 grand you would get plt and at 20 grand exp. i know that people spend way more than i do every year and are not even platinum its kind of strange that i get recognized as a better customer and spend less. of course in my revenue model only flights flown on AA metal would count but i dint see them making any changes to elite qualification requirements any time soon
Old Dec 26, 2004, 4:37 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by azmmza
do a mr if you want to be plt next year

logic would say that they would want to keep you as a AA flyer but on the other hand if 47.5 q points were enough then they would lower the thresh hold for plt to that. its a tough call but they do have to make it now and then.
what i think AA should do is add a new category for earning elite status. now they have miles and points they should also add revenue, i.e. at $5000 you get gold regardless of how many miles were flown and 10 grand you would get plt and at 20 grand exp. i know that people spend way more than i do every year and are not even platinum its kind of strange that i get recognized as a better customer and spend less. of course in my revenue model only flights flown on AA metal would count but i dint see them making any changes to elite qualification requirements any time soon
TWA had something exactly thike this... I recall reading about it shortly before they went *poof*. You could qualify on miles and/or revenue. They didn't have a points situation.

Also, is it just me or does AA seem to be backing away from the no waivers/favors stance just a tad? Quite a few times recently I've had change fees waived and the agents have really gone the extra mile to help me out. For a while there (early '04) even on paid J/F travel I was given zero lattitude.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by phuphu
Being a new AAdvantage member I was unaware that the qualifying year for status was the calendar year since I was only aware of the membership year was Feb 1st. In December of 2003 I was at 97,930 miles, 102 segments, and 65,974 points. Thinking I had another month to book a flight to get to 100,000, I used a reward ticket for the holidays and booked a flight for January to save money. I called the plat line and they put in a review, but AA told me TOUGH and said that I was not eligible for exec plat status because my points were too low.

Does anyone know if there is ANY WAY I can get the status? I am back in school and so I really wanted to keep the status until I go back to work next year and use it to upgrade my parents for a thank you gift on their inter'l trip.

Thanks!

Why not make a trip from Austin To DFW to HPN to SFO-DFWto Austin, then enjoy all of next year!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by TxAA Flyer
Why not make a trip from Austin To DFW to HPN to SFOto DFW to Austin, then enjoy all of next year!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:53 pm

You have another few days, take a day, find a cheap place to fly to, and fly straight back. mia, sea, lax, fll.....

Originally Posted by phuphu
Being a new AAdvantage member I was unaware that the qualifying year for status was the calendar year since I was only aware of the membership year was Feb 1st. In December of 2003 I was at 97,930 miles, 102 segments, and 65,974 points. Thinking I had another month to book a flight to get to 100,000, I used a reward ticket for the holidays and booked a flight for January to save money. I called the plat line and they put in a review, but AA told me TOUGH and said that I was not eligible for exec plat status because my points were too low.

Does anyone know if there is ANY WAY I can get the status? I am back in school and so I really wanted to keep the status until I go back to work next year and use it to upgrade my parents for a thank you gift on their inter'l trip.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elimuli
You have another few days, take a day, find a cheap place to fly to, and fly straight back. mia, sea, lax, fll.....
That might be difficult, since he needed the miles in 2003.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Life time Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Here's an example for a PREVIOUS YEAR-- several years ago (as in we have to assume it has no relevance to the current year (although it may or may not).) But is offered as an example of what AA has done in previous years.

I am in a similar boat. I have 95,500 Q points for this year so far and about 80K Q miles. One of my international trip got cancelled earlier this month and could not reach 100K. I have requested explat desk for consideration and still waiting for reply. One problem in my case is that, I have about 22K q points have not showed up yet as they are from BA and CX and I sent fax copies of boarding passes.

Once I get the reply from AAdvantage, I will let you guys know of the exceptions from this year.

Prasad
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop
That might be difficult, since he needed the miles in 2003.
I think that elimuli was replying to tinkybelle's post (#50).
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rnprasad
I am in a similar boat. I have 95,500 Q points for this year so far and about 80K Q miles. One of my international trip got cancelled earlier this month and could not reach 100K. I have requested explat desk for consideration and still waiting for reply. One problem in my case is that, I have about 22K q points have not showed up yet as they are from BA and CX and I sent fax copies of boarding passes.

Once I get the reply from AAdvantage, I will let you guys know of the exceptions from this year.
Your situation is different. The BA and CX flights will eventually post and that will solve your problem. You are not seeking an "exception" at all. (Unless you are saying that the missing 22K are already included in the 95,500 figure?)

In any case, AAdvantage keeps a "phantom counter" for lack of a better term, for such cases, i.e. even if those last 2 2004 flights don't post until 2005, you'll be instantly made EP as if they credited on time. Again, assuming that's what you meant. Other than that, w/ 95.5 Q-points-- I'd plan a run if I were you.

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 27, 2004 at 4:08 pm
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I have a theory as to why AA's being so strict. As you know, some time ago AA began tracking both miles and points and allowing qualification based on reaching either a mile or point threshhold. While this makes it easier for high rev pax to achieve EXP status (which I think is a really good idea); it also enables AA to quickly develop a guestimate as to how profitable a particular pax is.

In your case, your "point to mile" ratio suggests that you travel mostly on discounted economy fares and the AA rep reviewing your account can quickly ascertain that this is, in fact, the case. While no one doubts your loyalty to the airline, I would suggest that AA might be less inclined to accomodate you rather than a pax who had a "point to mile" ratio that indicated more full fare or premium class travel.

With respect to segments, I don't think AA would find those a meaningful metric.

Not trying to be harsh... being self-employed, I always go for the cheapest fare I can find when travelling domestically, as well.
If you're theory is correct, I may have benefited from it a few years ago. Back in 2001, before I reached 2MM/Lifetime Platinum, I had signed up for the Platinum Challenge. The first 7,000 or so points I had earned, were from flights flown on discounted tickets. But for the remaining points needed, I bought a paid F class ticket from MIA-LAX, including a few intra state flights in California. (Those flights were in paid F as well.)

This rather expensive "mileage run" was scheduled to begin on 09/13/01, just days before my "challenge" deadline. But due to "9-11," all planes were grounded thus not allowing me to complete the challenge. I called AAdvantage CS and asked if my Platinum Challenge deadline could be extended so that I would still have a shot at Platinum status. I told the rep that my planned, (but cancelled,) trip would have given me Platinum. She then looked up my reservation and after a reviewing it, said, "How about if I just move you up to Platinum right now?" I didn't argue.

While 9-11 certainly was beyond my control, would I have gotten that same treatment if my upcoming flights were on discounted tickets? Although, I'll never know for sure, I have a feeling that's why I was given Platinum status.

Last edited by Neal; Dec 27, 2004 at 8:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.