Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can/should we have a "sticky" post w/ some of the basics?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin33
a single sticky, of finite scope [limited to top 10 issues at first, maybe expand to 20 later--- mainly links to past threads], would be a grand addition.

I say single, because some forums already look sort of gummed up with sticky.

I say finite (and smallish) scope, because if gets beyond that, people might have to Search it, and that would reduce its effectiveness.

also in hopes of improving the chances it's read, could we not call it just a FAQ in the title. how about a "Welcome! We're glad to have you. BEFORE you ask that urgent question..." sort of thing.
I'm definitely a big believer in the "lone sticky theory"-- especially on a small screen the stickys really start to eat up valuable real estate. It's gotta be just one.

Also, I think 10 topics maximum would probably do nicely.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I like the basic bullet points above. If someone would post the quality links for the bullet points, I'll take a try at writing the text.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
My $.02 about adding a sticky thread.

I think it's a great idea. Especially if it will reduce the snotty "do a search" responses to newbies. Why don't those who are annoyed by oft repeated queries just ignore them?

A sticky of reasonable size would help:

1. New members who have no idea how frequently some questions are asked. If they are new to FT, how are they supposed to know that it is the umpteenth time that particular question has been asked in a given week (or month)?

2. Newbies who try the search feature but get no results. Some posts are either titled in a misleading manner or so steeped in FT lingo that there is no way a new member would know how to phrase the search.

3. Almost worse than no luck with a search, some searches result in such an intimidating number of threads and posts that it is over-whelming to wade through looking for the needed info.

3. And even sadder, there are electronically-challenged individuals (like me) who are simply incapable of operating the search feature properly. A sticky thread would be invaluable for us.

I recommend that all in favor of this grand idea vote for it early (and often).
And I thank the majority of FT folk who graciously welcome new members.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:36 pm

Location: Bullhead, AZ out of McCarran (Las Vegas) International Airport
Programs: AA & SPG
Here, here!! As a Newbie trying to make sense of it all (and getting a headache in the process), a sticky would be GREATLY appreciated. ^
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM: PLAT
Thumbs up

Jon, Great idea and I think a top 10 that could actually cover a few items with would be great. I found so many things that were helpful once I found the sight and search wasn't always easy based on how the posts were titled/created. Perhaps something like the topics listed as well as one of How to Maximize Your Miles -- this could have sublinks within and give lots of folks ways to increase their miles. I found this to be one of the most valuable ways to utilize FlyerTalk.

Great, great idea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.