Search

Thanks AA: LHR-JFK Y-J upgrade for GLD girlfriend

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2004, 9:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Thumbs up Thanks AA: LHR-JFK Y-J upgrade for GLD girlfriend

Thank you so much AA! On a recent flight from LHR-JFK, my gf who is gold, but booked under my PLT account was upgraded from Y-J at the gate. I enrolled her in the PLT challenge two years ago and she dropped to GLD after failing to requalify. Completely unexpected. Originally I had her in 31 B, but then at the gate she was called to the podium and told her seat had changed. She started to get all upset, since 31 is the best coach seat, but then the agent says, well I can move you back from business to coach if you want!

She marveled at the awesome food, the nice seat, and, as always, awesome flight attendants. Thank you so much AA for this op-up and also for proving to her that my FT hobby is not so bad after all!
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So let me get this right... originally you had planned to be in J with your girlfriend in Y? She must really love you.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

No, she was travelling alone for work!
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Congratulations!

She is gold - so the flight must have been really oversold (or/and not had a lot of elites) for them to be opp upgrading Golds....but you said you booked under your Plt number - how so? My understanding is that is doesn't matter if I book a flight for someone logged in to AA.com or anywhere else - my EXP status won't apply to them - only their own status....correct me if I'm wrong.

The only exception would be if I am travelling with them on the same record locator, or if I am upgrading them (while travelling with them), right?
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

When I made the reservation I logged into my PLT account on AA.com and booked her ticket and paid for it. The PNR was under my account although she received miles, etc... According to her the flight was full in J and Y. I don't know if my PLT status rubbed off on her in getting the op-up, but of course I told her it did!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CharlesMD
No, she was travelling alone for work!
Ahh, I see. Ok, that sounds better. My apologies for assuming.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 8:00 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
When I made the reservation I logged into my PLT account on AA.com and booked her ticket and paid for it. The PNR was under my account although she received miles, etc... According to her the flight was full in J and Y. I don't know if my PLT status rubbed off on her in getting the op-up, but of course I told her it did!
I don't think it makes any difference if you booked under your account or not. I have booked tickets for family logged in with my EXP account, but their status still holds and in no way does mine get applied (unless of course I am travelling with them and request upgrades).
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:38 am
Suspended

she was called to the podium and told her seat had changed. She started to get all upset,
jumping the gun a bit, no? why not wait until AAfter you hear what the gAAte AAgent has to say before getting upset ?
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I've been op-upgraded on three of my last four transoceanic flights on AA. The first two were to and from Hawaii when I had no status, but both were the result of bump opportunities. Most recently, my wife (no status) and I (now Gold) were upgraded from coach to business class on AA #79 from LGW to DFW, a very welcome development. Here's hoping that my unlikely string of success continues. And a hearty thank you to AA for making my recent travels much more comfortable and pleasurable.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Thumbs up

Travelling with my Dad (who has no status, I'm Plat) LHR-MIA on seperate bookings, I was upgraded at check in and I asked about my Dad, agent said she try, sure enough by the time we'd got to the AC he'd been rolled forward as well.

Spike

PS
I would have let him have the J seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.