Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the airline gets them onto the later CX flight, then it has protected them. It is only if the airline just sends them back to Qantas for rebooking, will it be accurate that AA isn't protecting. If they are sent back to QF, then they will be at mercy of QF award rules and of CX award availability
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the airline gets them onto the later CX flight, then it has protected them. It is only if the airline just sends them back to Qantas for rebooking, will it be accurate that AA isn't protecting. If they are sent back to QF, then they will be at mercy of QF award rules and of CX award availability
Absolutely did AA refuse to re-route. See my 386 above where Phil at QF in Australia spoke with Michelle at the AA oneworld desk who said they would not help. If AA had helped and re-routed them PHL-BOS and then BOS-HKG they would have arrived in HKG at the same time and and avoided a night's accommodation. But AA said no which, as far as I'm concerned is 100% against their policy. I'm more than happy to have a constructive argument on it (as I think we've been doing) but, why wait for the train to run off the rails before you try to do something about. It seems I was too quick to call QF germs as they in fact waived the change fee (3.5k points per passenger) to put them on the later flight after learning of the mess.

And as my earlier post said, Rebecca Lee was clear in saying, more than once, that their misconnect policy doesn't appear to non-revenue tickets. She wouldn't touch it which, again, meant AA was throwing me back to QF, refusing to do anything.

What would have happened, however, if there was no award availability JFK-HKG on that later flight. In that sense I got very lucky.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by danger
Absolutely did AA refuse to re-route. See my 386 above where Phil at QF in Australia spoke with Michelle at the AA oneworld desk who said they would not help. If AA had helped and re-routed them PHL-BOS and then BOS-HKG they would have arrived in HKG at the same time and and avoided a night's accommodation. But AA said no which, as far as I'm concerned is 100% against their policy. I'm more than happy to have a constructive argument on it (as I think we've been doing) but, why wait for the train to run off the rails before you try to do something about. It seems I was too quick to call QF germs as they in fact waived the change fee (3.5k points per passenger) to put them on the later flight after learning of the mess.

What would have happened, however, if there was no award availability JFK-HKG on that later flight. In that sense I got very lucky.
If I understood it correctly, AA sent them back to QF before the actual misconnection occurred rather than once they had arrived in New York and misconnected
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If I understood it correctly, AA sent them back to QF before the actual misconnection occurred rather than once they had arrived in New York and misconnected
That's correct. So what you're saying is only after actually misconnecting, if AA was to then send them back to QF then, would AA not have upheld its misconnect policy? If so, okay, I misunderstood your earlier post.

A couple of points. First, Rebecca Lee made it clear that because it was a non-revenue ticket they wouldn't touch it, period. So I doubt it would have mattered whether they presented at JFK or not.

Second, I respectfully disagree that AA has not done anything against its own policy. As I outlined a couple of posts ago, logic and commonsense could have gone a long way. My guess is my parents would have been in a whole heap of trouble if there were no seats on the next JFK-HKG flights, with AA saying 'it's a non-revenue ticket so our policy doesn't apply' and QF saying 'AA caused you to misconnect, We're happy to re-book on the next available flight which is three days away and it will be 3.5k points each'.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:17 pm
Suspended

BTW, not for a *second* suggesting it would have been comforting, desirable or relaxing, but, you mention:

...Yes, definitely going to miss JFK flight (this is for my parents). They will now arrive in LGA via PHL and will have 90 minutes from landing to get to JFK and re-check.
But the last PHL-LGA flight seems to land at LGA at 11:38 (actually appears to be getting in 5 minutes early.)

The late CX845 leaves JFK at 1:30am. Yes, with checking bags very, very tight, but, the actual cab-ride from LGA to JFK at this time of night would probably be 30 minutes or less (more like 20 minutes according to Waze.)

Again, NOT to say it's something I'd expect parents to do. But, turns out, think they might have made it, no?

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 20, 2015 at 9:22 pm
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:17 pm

That's correct. So what you're saying is only after actually misconnecting, if AA was to then send them back to QF then, would AA not have upheld its misconnect policy? If so, okay, I misunderstood your earlier post.
Yup, that was my point. Until they had missed the CX flight, then it was a potential misconnection

If they missed the CX flight and then at that point, they were simply sent back to QF for rebooking based on its no-show and rebooking rules for award tickets, then I would agree that AA was not honouring that which it used to list on an unlinked to, but could be found via search engines, website page
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JonNYC
BTW, not for a *second* suggesting it would have been comforting, desirable or relaxing, but, you mention:

But the last PHL-LGA flight seems to land at LGA at 11:38 (actually appears to be getting in 5 minutes early.)

The late CX845 leaves JFK at 1:30am. Yes, wt checking bags very, very tight, but, the actual carbide from LGA to JFK at this time of night would probably be 20 minutes or so.

Again, NOT to say it's something I'd expect parents to do. But, turns out, think they might have made it, no?
Hmmm. Interesting. Thank you. That is the flight they're on. I've changed the flight to the 10am departure but would it be worth them racing to the CX check-in desk at JFK and seeing if they would put them back on that flight?

Yup, that was my point. Until they had missed the CX flight, then it was a potential misconnection
In light of the above maybe I have been too quick to call misconnect. I still think it would have been proactive of AA to move them PHL-BOS-HKG and there was no mention by any agent that they wouldn't do anything because the misconnect hadn't actually happened, but I certainly take your point.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:24 pm

In light of the above maybe I have been too quick to call misconnect. I still think it would have been proactive of AA to move them PHL-BOS-HKG and there was no mention by any agent that they wouldn't do anything because the misconnect hadn't actually happened, but I certainly take your point.
The policy is already (imo) very generous in providing any protection on separate tickets and personally would not be expecting the airline to go any further beyond handling actual misconnection rather than potential ones

Hmmm. Interesting. Thank you. That is the flight they're on. I've changed the flight to the 10am departure but would it be worth them racing to the CX check-in desk at JFK and seeing if they would put them back on that flight?

GIven that they have been reticketed onto the later flight, I would be surprised if CX would permit them on the flight without Qf rebooking them onto it. I would suggest that they just go to a hotel on arrival
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:32 pm
Suspended

GIven that they have been reticketed onto the later flight, I would be surprised if CX would permit them on the flight without Qf rebooking them onto it. I would suggest that they just go to a hotel on arrival
Dave Noble is obviously and certainly right that it's probably not gonna happen (it definitely won't happen at CX check-in at JFK) But........ dunno if you wanted to risk calling in again and seeing if it's possible?

THIS IS NOT GOOD ADVICE (mine, I mean) but.... I dunno... whadyathink? Maybe? Heavy rain heading this way, but not before they'd get to JFK.

If you're elite with QF-- can they be reached quickly and efficiently?

And, to reiterate, no question the _sane_ advice is Dave Noble's.

And, also no question that CX @ JFK won't take it upon themselves to do it. QF would -have- to be involved.

FWIW, it looks like the LGA-> JFK drive will be like 20 minutes right now.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The policy is already (imo) very generous in providing any protection on separate tickets and personally would not be expecting the airline to go any further beyond handling actual misconnection rather than potential ones
I would agree it's generous.

Accommodation is a problem. There is almost nothing available. All three Hiltons sold out. Days Inn Jamaica sold out. Best Western JFK sold out. Visa concierge found Par (not Park) Central Motor Inn which is 1.5 stars and Jets Motor Inn. I'm still looking.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:43 pm
Suspended

I would agree it's generous.

Accommodation is a problem. There is almost nothing available. All three Hiltons sold out. Days Inn Jamaica sold out. Best Western JFK sold out. Visa concierge found Par (not Park) Central Motor Inn which is 1.5 stars and Jets Motor Inn. I'm still looking.
The hotels at JFK are so incredibly awful. *Might* make sense for them to stay near LGA? Hoteltonight (app) has this place for $189:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Dave Noble is obviously and certainly right that it's probably not gonna happen (it definitely won't happen at CX check-in at JFK) But........ dunno if you wanted to risk calling in again and seeing if it's possible?

THIS IS NOT GOOD ADVICE (mine, I mean) but.... I dunno... whadyathink? Maybe? Heavy rain heading this way, but not before they'd get to JFK.

If you're elite with QF-- can they be reached quickly and efficiently?

And, to reiterate, no question the _sane_ advice is Dave Noble's.

And, also no question that CX @ JFK won't take it upon themselves to do it. QF would -have- to be involved.

FWIW, it looks like the LGA-> JFK drive will be like 20 minutes right now.
I'm still having no luck with accommodation at JFK, everything is sold out.

I've just spoken with QF. They won't protect them on both flights which I can understand.

My parents have just landed. The last shuttle to JFK left at 11.30pm so they are going to get a taxi. I'm now on the phone with another QF agent to see if they can somehow protect them on both services, just for an hour, to see if they can make the original flight.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:16 pm
Suspended

I'm still having no luck with accommodation at JFK, everything is sold out.

I've just spoken with QF. They won't protect them on both flights which I can understand.

My parents have just landed. The last shuttle to JFK left at 11.30pm so they are going to get a taxi. I'm now on the phone with another QF agent to see if they can somehow protect them on both services, just for an hour, to see if they can make the original flight.
Busy night for you-- you're a good son! I gotta admit, I'm really hoping you succeed in doing the reckless thing; seeing how their taxi progress goes whilst talking to QF and trying to get them on that flight!

If you don't, and can't find accommodation, I'll help ya find something. A few blocks from my beach place is this place-- overpriced, not what it should be, etc., but MUCH better than any of the JFK options. Biggest downside would be taxi cost. But car service or uber, etc., would be fine. Wake up right on the beach.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Busy night for you-- you're a good son! I gotta admit, I'm really hoping you succeed in doing the reckless thing; seeing how their taxi progress goes whilst talking to QF and trying to get them on that flight!

If you don't, and can't find accommodation, I'll help ya find something. A few blocks from my beach place is this place-- overpriced, not what it should be, etc., but MUCH better than any of the JFK options. Biggest downside would be taxi cost. But car service or uber, etc., would be fine. Wake up right on the beach.
They have made it to JFK and are at check-in. But in the last 20 minutes one award seat has disappeared on the 1.30am flight. It seems it's all been for nothing. The only hope is CX will take pity on them.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

They have made it to JFK and are at check-in. But in the last 20 minutes one award seat has disappeared on the 1.30am flight. It seems it's all been for nothing. The only hope is CX will take pity on them.
Cathay came through. They are now travelling together in business on the 1.30am flight.

First and foremost, my sincere thanks to JonNYC and Dave Noble for your running advice and assistance.

Second, I do feel like a bit of a goose and with some egg on my face but it seems that the stars, eventually, aligned. I remain concerned that two AAgents said the misconnect policy doesn't apply to non-revenue tickets and that the agent in Dallas that the QF agent spoke with wasn't interested in re-routing. But for now, it's not so important.

Again, thank you both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.