Wiki Posts
Search

paid J peace of mind [downgauged - lost 4 J seats]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
paid J peace of mind [downgauged - lost 4 J seats]

booked a flight to the Carribean in October, paid for 4 J seats.

As expected, they changed the plane from a 763 to 757 and screwed up our seating.

Called AAgent [my acct reservation only shows my seat confirmed, mother and kids seats are listed as 5G 6G 6J (which don't exist) ]

She explained that since the merger, the flight is overbooked and offered to fly me out confirmed w 4 seats together on J the next day.

Now, I asked for clarification....we really cnat fly out the next day. IF we stay w our original flight and check in, either online OR at the airport, exactly 24 hours prior to the flight, we will then be confirmed on our original flight and she advised yes.

But Im not clear here.... if only Im confirmed in J, and will my family still get a seat on the flight , but in coach?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One doesn't need seat assignments to be confirmed. If the original ticket receipt shows confirmed, AA is on the hook. You need not check in at T-24: anything that meets the stated deadline is fine.

If they/you are downgraded to coach you will be eligible for class of service compensation, but not involuntary denied boarding per DOT rules.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP is concerned about traveling together in a premium cabin on the planned date, confirmed may not mean much if downgrades occur. Yes there will be a refund of the fare difference, but that doesn't help if one does not want to fly coach. Confirmed is different from having a valid seat assignment, but IMO it's worth the effort to try to move the rest of the family into business class seats that will exist on the aircraft.

OP should become very familiar with AA policy regarding downgrades, especially the priority ordering. Unlike IDB policies, this might be unpublished and also different from IDB priority rules. On most carriers, having paid a premium cabin fare rather than upgrading somehow should help, but having no status is bad in such cases. Checking in ASAP might or might not matter. In any event, get to the airport and the gate early. Try to board as early as possible too, just in case there are duplicate seat assignments and the GA decides to resolve the issue in favor of the first occupant.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
One other thing since you are on a paid fare. I'm not sure if there is another carrier that could service the route in question on the dates you want to fly, but I have asked for and been granted that as a solution when part of our family was left in limbo with an equipment change. It was on Delta, not American, but it was ultimately a resolution they agreed to (and did involve them shelling out some $$). I really don't get why anyone thinks that downgrade compensation is remotely acceptable, even though that is what the airlines try to foist on us via the CoC. Most people who buy tickets up front don't do it just because, they do it because they don't want to sit in economy, so it's ridiculous to think the fare difference is appropriate compensation. I think waiting until departure day to sort this out is fraught with peril and will likely lead to a worst case scenario (including possibly that there isnt even any economy seating left for those in your party who don't have "real" seats now).
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

I've no status. So as long as my original ticket receipt was confirmed (months ago), at the very least, can get my family on the flight? In my mind, that's the bigger priority.

Of course, I would like for us all to be in the same cabin, at this point, since sitting together is apparently a pipe dream. BUT with only one seat confirmed, would the fall back be that we'd all at least be on the aircraft together? That would at least give some peace of mind.

AA policy regarding downgrades, is there a wiki for this specifically?

thank you for your thoughts.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
What's your destination airport?

I know that on certain flights, if they have a large oversell in the front cabin, they will call in advance trying to get people to switch flights, but if it's a once a day destination that may not be an option.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Doesn't the fare basis matter here? If it's a Y-UP fare don't they have less recourse?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
First, my sincerest condolences to the OP. I know the route because the same change of aircraft has happened to us. If AA would provide for the extra overnight expense then it wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately, AA only has to pay for the difference between coach seats and the seat you booked, and they define what that is. Do you know if there are any coach seats available?if you provide date/flight # info, one of us can look.

If there are no Y seats available, then AA has to provide IDB compensation, or get 3 other people to fly out the next day. Otherwise, you get a tiny refund and have to figure out who gets the nice seat. I doubt you'll be able to sit together in Y at this late date. Alternative routing probably won't be available now, either. First, let's see if we can find out what the status of seats is.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

This is for AA 1596 JFK-SXM on Jan 23, D code fare.

Ok, so then Im not nuts. I should be concerned. The AAgent left me with the impression that as long as we check in early, all is well.

Truly appreciate all this feedback. I just want to know how to handle this if I call them back tonight

Last edited by the phoenix; Oct 1, 2015 at 2:29 pm Reason: i screwed up the date
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Are you sure about business class being overbooked? When I look at the seatmap for that flight on AA.com, it shows 12 seats available for selection.

If you can't get anything handled in advance, are you willing to connect? If so there is availability through MIA and you could see if they are willing to switch you to that.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by the phoenix
I've no status. So as long as my original ticket receipt was confirmed (months ago), at the very least, can get my family on the flight? In my mind, that's the bigger priority.
There is a decent chance, I think, that some or all of you will be accommodated on the flight but in economy, particularly if you are on an "instant upgrade" fare. It will depend on how many confirmed J passengers check in for the flight. I believe you'll be in front of any upgraders from regular coach fares, but where you are on the priority list for the J seats amongst those who paid for J probably depends on some combination of your fare and status (so your low status probably puts you at the bottom of the list amongst those in the same fare class). After purchase, it can be very difficult to tell whether you're on an instant upgrade fare, but that's presumably something that an AA reservations agent can tell you.

Also note that if you have any checked bags and are accommodated in coach, you will likely be hit with checked bag fees if you don't have any status or credit card that gets you a fee waiver when flying in coach.

Of course, I would like for us all to be in the same cabin, at this point, since sitting together is apparently a pipe dream. BUT with only one seat confirmed, would the fall back be that we'd all at least be on the aircraft together? That would at least give some peace of mind.

AA policy regarding downgrades, is there a wiki for this specifically?
Here it is on AA.com. The conditions are absurd and ought to be illegal:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
That $0.10/mile will likely (though not necessarily) be less than the fare difference between the instant upgrade J fare you paid and a regular coach fare.

There is a long thread on instant upgrade fares: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

If you're not on an instant upgrade fare, the situation is different; I believe in that case, you would be eligible for a refund of the fare difference between the J fare you paid and the coach fare, though it's not clear whether the relevant coach fare is the cheapest available one at the time you purchased the ticket or the cheapest coach fare available at the time of the downgrade (which may be more than the J fare you paid).

Basically, per AA's policy, you're hosed, I'm afraid.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Are you sure about business class being overbooked? When I look at the seatmap for that flight on AA.com, it shows 12 seats available for selection.

If you can't get anything handled in advance, are you willing to connect? If so there is availability through MIA and you could see if they are willing to switch you to that.
Looks wide open: http://imgur.com/a/kX4p6

There are only four seats taken in J, presumably by OP and his family. OP, why do you think J is oversold?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vhrum

There are only four seats taken in J, presumably by OP and his family. OP, why do you think J is oversold?
If this is true, the the OP should immediately move the entire family to seats that exist on the new aircraft and, ideally, seats that exist in business class on any aircraft type that could be used for the route.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vhrum

That is what the agent on the phone told me. Im gonna have to call again later!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If this is true, the the OP should immediately move the entire family to seats that exist on the new aircraft and, ideally, seats that exist in business class on any aircraft type that could be used for the route.
But if the seat map is showing availability, then they should confirm my seat, no?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by the phoenix
That is what the agent on the phone told me. Im gonna have to call again later!

But if the seat map is showing availability, then they should confirm my seat, no?
Confirm is a bad verb to use here. You are all confirmed on the flight - valid seat assignments or not. This has specific legal protections.

Seat assignments are not guaranteed - not for anybody. Yes, you want seat assignments, preferably together, in the business cabin as may be made available on your confirmed flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.