FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Pope Francis to Fly AA charter WAS (ADW)-JFK, JFK-PHL, PHL-CIA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1711765-pope-francis-fly-aa-charter-adw-jfk-jfk-phl-phl-cia.html)

supermintyfresh Sep 23, 2015 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 25464372)
Pope Francis doesn't seem like the type of person where such things are that important to him. I guess we will see whether that is true or not if he starts complaining that there is a paper liner on his meal tray rather than a cloth one.

Well, he did elect to skip a fancy lunch with Congress officials and instead is eating with the homeless in DC.

Also, he is being ferried around in a tiny Fiat as apparently he doesn't like ostentatious vehicles? :confused:

So it sounds like the Pope would have a heart attack if you gave him an international F seat on a Gulf carrier plane (or Singapore suites). Hardly the type of person to complain about paper vs cloth liners ;)

Col Ronson Sep 23, 2015 1:11 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh (Post 25465804)
Well, he did elect to skip a fancy lunch with Congress officials and instead is eating with the homeless in DC.

Also, he is being ferried around in a tiny Fiat as apparently he doesn't like ostentatious vehicles? :confused:

So it sounds like the Pope would have a heart attack if you gave him an international F seat on a Gulf carrier plane (or Singapore suites). Hardly the type of person to complain about paper vs cloth liners ;)

Really puts into perspective the complaining you see on FT doesn't it. Man i wish the pope's humility resonated with more people :)

Fanjet Sep 23, 2015 3:40 am

So it sounds like the Pope would have a heart attack if you gave him an international F seat on a Gulf carrier plane (or Singapore suites). Hardly the type of person to complain about paper vs cloth liners...

And it highlights how trivial such matters are when put into perspective. If your main complaint is about whether or not your F meal tray has a paper or linen tray liner, you're one of the lucky ones on this planet.

nrr Sep 23, 2015 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Col Ronson (Post 25465811)
Really puts into perspective the complaining you see on FT doesn't it. Man i wish the pope's humility resonated with more people :)

If one is paying lots of money (or miles), complaining [if you don't get the service you paid for] is OK.:D

[A (THE) Pope's humility vs. flyers who want to be pampered is best suited for OMNI.]

JDiver Sep 23, 2015 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Col Ronson (Post 25465811)

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 25466068)
And it highlights how trivial such matters are when put into perspective. If your main complaint is about whether or not your F meal tray has a paper or linen tray liner, you're one of the lucky ones on this planet.

^^

SJOGuy Sep 23, 2015 9:42 am

Might there soon be a new FT poster to the AA forum who registers under the name Pontifex? ;)

bmchris Sep 23, 2015 11:40 am

Does FEBO count on charter flights? Or do they use a specific serving order by request?

Will he bless the food in the galley, or does everyone wait until all meals are delivered before the blessing - in which case it's best to be served last? I'm honestly unsure of the etiquette for papal flight meals.

SeeBuyFly Sep 23, 2015 11:48 am

Does the papal bull travel in the cargo hold, or is it considered an emotional support animal?

Also, he is being ferried around in a tiny Fiat as apparently he doesn't like ostentatious vehicles?

The church is not a democracy; rather, the pope rules by fiat.

JDiver Sep 23, 2015 11:59 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 25467992)
Does the papal bull travel in the cargo hold, or is it considered an emotional support animal?

The church is not a democracy; rather, the pope rules by fiat.

Ah, always a serious one... :D

pa3lsvt Sep 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Air Traffic call sign: "Shepherd 1"

Heard this morning on ABC.

I wonder if I can watch the arrival to PHL from the top of the F garage?

N830MH Sep 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by malexander131 (Post 25465114)
So AA/TWA apparently have a long history of carrying the Pope:

Here is a list of other instances where a pope have traveled via American:

1999: TWA: STL-Rome (Pope John Paul II) – 767-300
1995: TWA: EWR-BWI-Rome (Pope John Paul II) – 767-300
1993: American Airlines: DEN-Rome (Pope John Paul II) – 767-300ER
This aircraft is still in service today. (Flying MIA-FRA this evening.)
1987: TWA: Eleven-day, nine-city tour (Pope John Paul II) – 727 & 747
1979: TWA: Six-day, six-city tour and ADW back to Rome (Pope John Paul II) – 727
1965: TWA: Rome-JFK-Rome (Pope Paul VI) – 707

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...le-in-the-u-s/

Wow! Very interesting. Thanks! I can't remember when he came to US.

JDiver Sep 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt (Post 25468513)
Air Traffic call sign: "Shepherd 1"

Heard this morning on ABC.

I wonder if I can watch the arrival to PHL from the top of the F garage?

Everything I've seen is the media is touting the flights as "Shepherd One", not ATC or the FAA. More likely "American 9xxx", possibly "American 9xxx heavy" AFAIK.

FlyingDoctorwu Sep 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 25468654)
Everything I've seen is the media is touting the flights as "Shepherd One", not ATC or the FAA. More likely "American 9xxx", possibly "American 9xxx heavy" AFAIK.

Per the WashingtonPost article, the call sign is FAA approved...

The plane is a 777-200 and its FAA-approved call sign will be Shepherd One. The plane was chartered by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. The Pope flew from Cuba to Joint Base Andrews aboard Alitlia, the national airline of Italy.
This pope is supposedly about humility and frugality.. would have been awesome to see him take the train from WAS to NYP and then to PHL (or rather WAS to PHL to NYP would be better)... flying a 777 from Andrews to JFK, then JFK to PHL is kind of a waste...

On the upside, that means PHL is seeing an AA 777.....

FDW

Zorak Sep 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Is communion wine available as PDB?

Col Ronson Sep 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 25469758)
Per the WashingtonPost article, the call sign is FAA approved...

This pope is supposedly about humility and frugality.. would have been awesome to see him take the train from WAS to NYP and then to PHL (or rather WAS to PHL to NYP would be better)... flying a 777 from Andrews to JFK, then JFK to PHL is kind of a waste...

On the upside, that means PHL is seeing an AA 777.....

FDW

There are security considerations to be considered for as well. And it is logistically easier to charter out a plane than to charter out an entire train. Nevermind the pope has a tight schedule but sure lets criticize him for taking a plane and not spending 8 hours going by train.