Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Oops! AA flys AA31 LAX-HNL 31 Aug '15 with Airbus 321S, not ETOPS 321H

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oops! AA flys AA31 LAX-HNL 31 Aug '15 with Airbus 321S, not ETOPS 321H

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Max M
Because of this incident, I'm guessing AA will have to copy AS's lead, and paint some sort of additonal logo on the plane to indicate whether the plane is ETOPS certified that in case.

The following emblem:

<greyhound>

Could be superimposed on this:

<new AA "linoleum cutter blade" eagle logo>

To prevent the pilots, mechanics, and dispatchers from having another "oopsie" moment.
ROTFLMAO! Or maybe a big, yellow rubber duckie on the nose or tail... Imagine it; it could be very photogenic, appealing to passengers and easy to understand by mechanics:

Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PHL
On the contrary, the Pilot in Command (PIC) is the final authority. The PIC is responsible for preflight check. The PIC is responsible for insuring the aircraft is airworthy. The PIC is responsible to insure he/she knows everything about the aircraft, route, weather and airports of intended landing. I'm sure the feds have a few questions for the Captain, starting with "why didn't you verify the aircraft was airworthy for the mission?"

Does that absolve the entire team of dispatchers at that high tech, super fancy AA operations center in TX? No, it doesn't. They are also certified and responsible to insure the right aircraft is assigned to the route. But it is still the PIC's responsibility to validate what he gets from Operations and, if necessary, make changes.
Are you suggesting that the PIC didn't do some preflight check? I think of all the links in this chain, it's safest to say that the pilots did all of the required checks. The real question is - is verifying the ETOPS certification of a particular ship # a part of one of their checklists? According to APC, the answer is no. So, I believe the pilot's answer to your hypothetical question from the feds would be, "I did verify the a/c was airworthy for the mission utilizing the the tools provided to me by my company and approved by the FAA."

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Isn't that like having the cockpit crew just taking the word of the fuelers that they loaded the required amount of fuel in the tanks for the flight?

There is a marking on the forward landing gear which says ETOPS. It isn't that hard to notice when you do a walk-around the plane.
The Captain receives all kinds of data from many different sources in preparation for a flight that he does not independently verify. Does the Captain count the number of passengers onboard? Does he count the number of bags loaded? Does he do his own weight & balance calculations? Does he do his own weather forecast? or does he just trust the numbers he's given within reason? Again I'll point out - according to APC, there is NO reference anywhere in the AA flight manuals and checklists to "ETOPS" being printed on the nosewheel or on the cover of the a/c logbook. If this was this pilot's first flight on the A321H, how would he know to look for those things? I realize that we'd like to answer something like "because he's been trained to look for those things," but the reality is the way that airline training programs have been certified makes it possible for a pilot to operate a specific sub-fleet within their category for the very first time on a live passenger flight. This happens everyday.

What I'd love to know is: who finally figured out the mistake? Dispatcher? Apparently it was discovered in-flight, but beyond the point of turning back to the mainland.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjglaze77
What I'd love to know is: who finally figured out the mistake? Dispatcher? Apparently it was discovered in-flight, but beyond the point of turning back to the mainland.
Probably when they found a spare ETOPS aircraft sitting on the tarmac at LAX
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:28 am

<snip>

The Captain receives all kinds of data from many different sources in preparation for a flight that he does not independently verify. Does the Captain count the number of passengers onboard? Does he count the number of bags loaded? Does he do his own weight & balance calculations? Does he do his own weather forecast? or does he just trust the numbers he's given within reason? Again I'll point out - according to APC, there is NO reference anywhere in the AA flight manuals and checklists to "ETOPS" being printed on the nosewheel or on the cover of the a/c logbook. If this was this pilot's first flight on the A321H, how would he know to look for those things? I realize that we'd like to answer something like "because he's been trained to look for those things," but the reality is the way that airline training programs have been certified makes it possible for a pilot to operate a specific sub-fleet within their category for the very first time on a live passenger flight. This happens everyday.

Regardless of whether "ETOPS" being painted on the nose wheel gear door being referenced in the doccos, shouldn't an alert FO have noted the absence of such and reported the issue to the Captain? Or mechanic?

I'm curious about how and when the discovery was made. Maybe mealtime with a "Er, Captain, the sheet says 'ceiling life rafts', but I'm not seeing any."

I still think my rubber duckie suggestion, with a matching "Remove before flight" placard over the yoke and nose gear pin flag would do the job, and look so cute...
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm curious about how and when the discovery was made. Maybe mealtime with a "Er, Captain, the sheet says 'ceiling life rafts', but I'm not seeing any."

I still think my rubber duckie suggestion, with a matching "Remove before flight" placard over the yoke and nose gear pin flag would do the job, and look so cute...
From what I recall FAs pull out a book that is kept with the plane, how would a non-ETOPS plane have a sheet saying there are rafts? Maybe show a swimming duck for over-water flights and a walking duck for not.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
From what I recall FAs pull out a book that is kept with the plane, how would a non-ETOPS plane have a sheet saying there are rafts? Maybe show a swimming duck for over-water flights and a walking duck for not.
I was assuming the FA would be looking in the AA issued tablet rather than paper product. Sorry. Messy duck.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Wouldn't they remember a life raft is kept on Hawaii-bound planes?

I suppose this is a new frame for the route.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:04 pm
Suspended

This all could've been avoided if AA just stuck with the 757 on this route.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:01 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I do like the image of an A321 stuck in the Hawaiian islands, unable to leave, flying HNL-OGG-ITO sectors for decades until retirement in an aircraft graveyard somewhere in the south shore of Maui.
Thank you for the much-needed smile and chuckle this afternoon. ^
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Again I'll point out - according to APC, there is NO reference anywhere in the AA flight manuals and checklists to "ETOPS" being printed on the nosewheel or on the cover of the a/c logbook. If this was this pilot's first flight on the A321H, how would he know to look for those things?
The ETOPS marking on the nose gear is standard industry practice. Aren't pilots flying an ETOPS flight (not just an ETOPS aircraft) suppose to be certified to do so? So it really doesn't matter if this was his first 321H flight.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by JDiver

I'll second the rubber duckies motion. They can hand out a few promotional ones to the kids, too! And then a DYKWIA-type/ExtrAA Special EXP will complain they didn't get one. Good times all around!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Want to know how to be removed from your next A321 LAX-HNL flight? Ask the Flight Attendant to remind the pilots to check to make sure the plane is an ETOPS A321H and not an A321S.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Want to know how to be removed from your next A321 LAX-HNL flight? Ask the Flight Attendant to remind the pilots to check to make sure the plane is an ETOPS A321H and not an A321S.
And it would be reflective of a PIC who is still in the 'sky god' era when he was the fearless commander of his airship, unquestioned by anyone.

Any PIC who removed a pax for asking the question is unfit to fly IMO. @:-)
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
And it would be reflective of a PIC who is still in the 'sky god' era when he was the fearless commander of his airship, unquestioned by anyone.

Any PIC who removed a pax for asking the question is unfit to fly IMO. @:-)
The "" at the end of the post connotes humor.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I think there's actually a monetization opportunity here. Make the customers responsible for checking from the terminal to make sure ETOPS is clearly written on the nose gear door of the aircraft they're about to board. AA could then charge a fee (a flat rate collected from each customer on an individual flight) to handle this themselves without customer assistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.