Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Oops! AA flys AA31 LAX-HNL 31 Aug '15 with Airbus 321S, not ETOPS 321H

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oops! AA flys AA31 LAX-HNL 31 Aug '15 with Airbus 321S, not ETOPS 321H

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Don't suppose there's any way they could just suspend him forever...
We can take care of this problem.

Appoint Mr. Parker chief negotiator in charge of dealing with the Port Authority of New York.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by able
The only common sense argument that makes sense is that the company is "too big to fail" and wouldn't face FAA action no matter what the level of misbehavior. Is this the argument you are making?
No, what he's saying is human error happens. The FAA doesn't typically punish an airline when an innocent mistake and whereas negligence isn't a prevailing factor (ie, an airline cutting corners on maintenance or purposely sending a non ETOPS aircraft overseas to just keep on time or from canceling a flight). The reason why there is a grace or a "get out of jail free card" on incidents like this is to LEARN from it, identify ways it won't happen again, and use it as a training tool. If the FAA burned every mistake a person made people would not be honest, lessens wouldn't be learned, and higher incidents (whatever they may be) would occur.

It's the same in the cockpit. If mistakes are made, a crew debriefs those mistakes, and learn from it. It's commonplace to share those mistakes and to learn from it.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by STS-134
I think there are some cars that should be prohibited from traveling more than 15 minutes from the nearest repair shop...and there should be some sort of certification required to drive on roads without emergency shoulders. Makes me mad as hell every time someone's car stalls on the Bay Bridge because of THEIR poor maintenance and it causes everyone else to have to sit in a jam. The simple solution is to simply prohibit such cars from using the Bridge.
Quite poor analogy. In the case of a car ceasing to function on the Bay Bridge, the result is annoyance.

In the case of an airplane ceasing to function over an ocean, the result is hundreds of deaths. @:-)
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Pretty sure those are not extra fuel tanks and rather just tanks that can be filled with water (?) during testing/weight balancing. Imagine seeing this in your cabin on your trip to Hawaii
No, those are fuel tanks, not water tanks. If they were tanks for water, there would be no reason to stencil the warning "NO SMOKING" on them. @:-)

Those tanks were installed on 717s that were ferried empty from the mainland to Hawai'i for HA to use between HNL and the other islands.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
(Thank goodness for strict maintenance, and for resourceful, well trained pilots!)
^ ^

Originally Posted by FWAAA
If they were tanks for water, there would be no reason to stencil the warning "NO SMOKING" on them.
Maybe it's general health advice?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by rxziebel
This is a mountain, it is not a mole hill, and there is a serious problem that the airline needs to correct to assure it never happens again. If there had been a cargo hold fire, this mistake could have cost all the passengers and crew their lives. If ETOPS was just " a slightly larger fire suppression bottle and oxygen tanks", then ETOPS would be worthless. There is alot more that goes into it, and I think you know that very well.
Gee, I guess I had no idea what I was talking about

"It has the same engine, same fuel tanks, same range," Norton told AFP. He said that the A321H has extra medical oxygen -- different than the oxygen masks that drop from the ceiling -- in case of an in-flight medical emergency and an additional fire-suppression canister."

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/0...fly-to-hawaii/
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN

"It has the same engine, same fuel tanks, same range," Norton told AFP. He said that the A321H has extra medical oxygen -- different than the oxygen masks that drop from the ceiling -- in case of an in-flight medical emergency and an additional fire-suppression canister."

AA-Flyer-SAN for the win!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by skunker
Don't you need 3 disks for a RAID5? So a MD10 or 11 vs. 744.
Yes, RAID5 distributes parity across the array of disks, such that data can be recovered after any single failure. 3 disks is the minimum, and there is no maximum (in theory). If any single disk fails, the array operates in degraded state until another disk can be added and it can be restored. If a second failure occurs before the array can be rebuilt, then your data is toast. RAID5 is therefore very similar to twin engine aircraft. The thing is one failure can sometimes cause another failure because when the array is rebuilding, it really hammers the disks with a lot of read/write commands. Not sure if the same is true of airplane engines after one engine goes out. Can the additional stress on the remaining engine(s) cause failures in those as well?

RAID6 has additional parity bits such that two simultaneous failures can be tolerated, which I think is more similar to a 744 (or can a 744 fly on only ONE engine)?

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Quite poor analogy. In the case of a car ceasing to function on the Bay Bridge, the result is annoyance.

In the case of an airplane ceasing to function over an ocean, the result is hundreds of deaths. @:-)
Anything that disrupts the traffic flow puts lives at risk. People can be rear-ended and killed if the speed differential is high enough. Point is, why not just prohibit people who don't maintain their cars from using the Bridge and apply the same standards we hold our airlines to on our freeways? Too many people neglect their cars and do it in a way that inconveniences thousands of other people if it dies in heavy traffic. I'd never drive my car farther than I could run if it was anything less than well maintained. Oil and filters every 5k miles, transmission fluid drain and refill every 15k (flush every 45k), new air filter every 15k, spark plugs get inspected every 30k, power steering gets flushed every 90k, etc. Transmission was completely replaced before it failed when I started to notice signs of wear. At around 145k miles, I noticed that it was burning 1/2 quart more oil per 5k miles than it usually does, and had them open up the engine and they found a problem with an oil leak near the timing chain, so that part of the engine was replaced (they told me that burning 1/2 qt of oil per 5k miles was NOT a big deal but I told them to do it anyway because I knew something was wrong). I'm probably going to proactively replace the starter motor at some point so it doesn't die and leave me stranded. Been going for 195k miles now and it has NEVER stranded me anywhere.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Yes, RAID5 distributes parity across the array of disks, such that data can be recovered after any single failure. 3 disks is the minimum, and there is no maximum (in theory). If any single disk fails, the array operates in degraded state until another disk can be added and it can be restored. If a second failure occurs before the array can be rebuilt, then your data is toast. RAID5 is therefore very similar to twin engine aircraft.
No, a twin-engine aircraft is more like RAID 1 (mirroring.) You're more likely to lose a second drive out of 3 in any given window of vulnerability than you are to lose both drives out of a pair.

I'd imagine the same is true for engines.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN

Typical AA marketing gAArbage. Yes, it's true, and they can downplay it all they'd like, however no matter how minuscule the differences may be, flying a non ETOPS aircraft on an ETOPS route is a major violation. If no fine is given, what's keeping them from subbing an A321S in when an A321H goes tech in the future, and then just self reporting to get out of the fine?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Anything that disrupts the traffic flow puts lives at risk. People can be rear-ended and killed if the speed differential is high enough.
Not 300 at a time. @:-)
Point is, why not just prohibit people who don't maintain their cars from using the Bridge and apply the same standards we hold our airlines to on our freeways?
The standards we hold our airlines to are incredibly high...because the consequences of error are incredibly high. Sorry you can't work this out.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
One of the considerations in assembling a RAID array is to avoid using disks from the same batch or even the same manufacturer because this increases the risk of simultaneous failure. Presumably a similar rule applies to the engines of ETOPS aircraft, at least I hope so!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Typical AA marketing gAArbage. Yes, it's true, and they can downplay it all they'd like, however no matter how minuscule the differences may be, flying a non ETOPS aircraft on an ETOPS route is a major violation. If no fine is given, what's keeping them from subbing an A321S in when an A321H goes tech in the future, and then just self reporting to get out of the fine?
Why is everything such a conspiracy? There was no malice or purposeful negligence. It was a software glitch that was immediately identified, corrective actions were immediately taken, the FAA was informed as required, and they fessed up to making a mistake. They aren't going to purposely sub a non-ETOPs bird - this could get a dispatcher or an employee prosecuted. No worker bee for AA, who dislikes current management en masse, would stick their head out to be thrown in jail. That is such an absurd accusation and train of thought.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:31 pm
Suspended

No malice other than the fact AA is sending perfectly good 757's and MD80's to the desert in exchange for torture tubes.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegod
No malice other than the fact AA is sending perfectly good 757's and MD80's to the desert in exchange for torture tubes.
I concur about the A319. The seat design on that was terrible. I love the Mad Dogs and the seats. Sorry to see them go. Tho the new leather ones aren't too bad. Just wish they had more pitch on recline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.