Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the boarding group order for ER4 aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:36 am
Original Poster

There is no first class in this AA embraer-145 aircraft, so does that mean group 1 gets to board first to get the first crack at the overhead bin space?

I have a carry on luggage, and in order to avoid the damage caused by the mishandling of luggage, I prefer to store it in overhead bin instead of valet checking it. my carry on fits in crj900 bin, would it also fit in ER4 bin?

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 2015 at 8:06 pm Reason: Merge duplicate posts / threads
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
There is no first class in this AA embraer-145 aircraft, so does that mean group 1 gets to board first to get the first crack at the overhead bin space?

I have a carry on luggage, and in order to avoid the damage caused by the mishandling of luggage, I prefer to store it in overhead bin instead of valet checking it. my carry on fits in crj900 bin, would it also fit in ER4 bin?
Yesterday we boarded as follows:
XP and Plat
Gold, Priority Access/Group one
etc.

Do not think you will get past bridge with suitcase.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium

The bins on the ERJ-140/145s are some of the smallest around. Most rollaboards will not fit.

You can view the bin dimensions here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourP...30-140-145.jsp
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
On ERJs, group 1 boards after exp/plt/gld/priority. And as mentioned nothing larger than a small backpack will fit in the overheads anyway.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
At my home airport, it is usually

xplat, plat, gold
group 1
group 2

Overhead storage is pretty small, there are a few small rollerboards that will fit, but mostly just for briefcases or a duffel bags.

CRJ 900 Bin
http://img1.findthebest.com/sites/de..._527529_i0.jpg

ERJ 145 bin

http://flyingcolors.onewavemedia.com...4B24D0149.jpeg

I should note that the bins are rarely full, so boarding order really isn't important.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
An 80% loaded Red Oxx Sky Train or Air Boss will go in the overheads on the 145, but I digress. Anyway, they tend to just call all elites at once, then do groups.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
The overhead bins in the ER4 are tiny; are you SURE your bag will fit? Also, generally if your carryon has any sort of wheels on it, the agent will flag it for valet (even though some very small bags with wheels will fit). The solution for some people is to let the agent tag it, then pull the tag off on your way down the jetway. Of course this only works in airports where the valet bags are dropped off at the end of the jetway, and you have to be sure it will fit beforehand if you want to try this tactic.

Overhead space is rarely an issue on the ER4 since so few things fit up there.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Will I have to pay to check my carry-on when I check in? Or I can just take my carry-on to the gate, and they'll put my carry-on in the storage place at the jet bridge?

I have never gate-checked my carry-on with AA before. I will fly roundtrip ORD-CMI (with continuation from ORD to DCA which will be operated by a larger 737 with enough bin space for me). CMI is a small airport, so it's easier to pick up my carry-on after I deplane. But ORD is a huge airport, will I still get to pick up my carry-on immediately after I deplane at the jet-bridge? I have a pretty expensive carry-on case with a hard shell, so I prefer not to let handler throw my carry-on around if possible.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Will I have to pay to check my carry-on when I check in? Or I can just take my carry-on to the gate, and they'll put my carry-on in the storage place at the jet bridge?

I have never gate-checked my carry-on with AA before. I will fly roundtrip ORD-CMI (with continuation from ORD to DCA which will be operated by a larger 737 with enough bin space for me). CMI is a small airport, so it's easier to pick up my carry-on after I deplane. But ORD is a huge airport, will I still get to pick up my carry-on immediately after I deplane at the jet-bridge? I have a pretty expensive carry-on case with a hard shell, so I prefer not to let handler throw my carry-on around if possible.
Yes, you will claim your valet bags plane side at ORD just as you would at a smaller outstation. And there is no charge for valet bags.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT

No; Yes. As long as it's a regulation carry-on, gate checking it means you leave the bag at the designated place as you board (usually at the end of the jetbridge) and then you pick it up again right as you get off the aircraft (again, usually at the jetbridge entrance to the plane).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
No; Yes. As long as it's a regulation carry-on, gate checking it means you leave the bag at the designated place as you board (usually at the end of the jetbridge) and then you pick it up again right as you get off the aircraft (again, usually at the jetbridge entrance to the plane).
Also note that if it is a bus gate - such as 35X at DCA - there is no time penalty for doing this because you're all going to have to wait for the bus anyhow. And the bus does not leave until everyone has their bags.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Typically, Elites, Group 1, then Group 2. Assume about 30 seconds between groups. Since overhead space isn't an issue, I try to board last. With valet bags, I've found that last on usually means first off.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Also note that if it is a bus gate - such as 35X at DCA - there is no time penalty for doing this because you're all going to have to wait for the bus anyhow. And the bus does not leave until everyone has their bags.
I nearly missed a connection at DCA cuz of that.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Group 1: People who will have space to store small belongings.

Group 2: People who won't have space to store small belongings.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
It's been a number of years, but years ago, American Eagle at some smaller stations--- not hubs--- would have some inexperienced [and typically outsourced] gate agents that wouldn't bother with calling for EXP's and Plat's to board first-- they'd just announce Priority AAccess, and not really enforce Priority Access boarding first, then Group 1.

Then again at some of these Eagle outstations, if there were "small" loads, the gate agent would just make an annoucement, of "Due to the small number of people on this flight, we're going to start boarding--- all Groups may board at this time."

Thankfully, neither of these have happened to me in a number of years on American Eagle, but it was frustrating as a Platinum when both did happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.