FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   MIA/MCO gets subbed to 777/J sold as F (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1696501-mia-mco-gets-subbed-777-j-sold-f.html)

ThreeJulietTango Jul 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25178757)
Out of curiosity; you don't mean to imply that there's a 772 floating around that's been equipped with 773 (Cirrus) J-seats as opposed to the 77D ("concept-D"/ fore/aft AA design) J-seats, by any chance?

I'm sure I'm misinterpreting that/ reading it wrong, just wanted to make sure! That this is a regular post-CIP 772 w/ the fore/aft seats (N756AM 7BR)

No, the J cabin is distinct between the 772 and 77W, but from what I understand the Y cabin is indistinguishable unless one goes through the trouble of counting the rows.

JonNYC Jul 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango (Post 25192730)
No, the J cabin is distinct between the 772 and 77W, but from what I understand the Y cabin is indistinguishable unless one goes through the trouble of counting the rows.

Ahhhh, OK, now I got ya! Thanks for the clarification!

AAerSTL Jul 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango (Post 25192730)

Not sure I am following.

The 77D in forward Y-cabin/MCE is configured 3-3-3 and aft Y-cabin is 3-4-3. The 772 on AA since initially entry into service in 1999 has been 2-5-2 (even as many carriers have transitioned to 3-3-3 including DL & UA).

Just curious what you mean by indistinguishable-seats, seat cushions, IFE, wifi, in-seat AC power are all pretty significant changes IMO.

JAGMAP Jul 29, 2015 11:04 pm

If anyone is curious why AA sometimes subs a 777, think about what industry and company dominate. Not all cargo fits into an S80. This certain company has an agreement for oversized non-critical, non-valuble (<$100K) mass.

aamilesslave Jul 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by JAGMAP (Post 25194059)
If anyone is curious why AA sometimes subs a 777, think about what industry and company dominate. Not all cargo fits into an S80. This certain company has an agreement for oversized non-critical, non-valuble (<$100K) mass.

Disney and other prominent Orlando companies were mentioned up-thread for cargo ops....

FWAAA Aug 1, 2015 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Max M (Post 25164958)
Precisely.

AA can do a quick turn on the plane and rather fly it to say JFK for aircraft utilization sake, it's less of a gamble for AA to fly a quick MIA-MCO. Especially with the dicey weather, and ATC delays that JFK has.

Even if weather were to pop up, a delay is more manageable on a quick MIA-MCO hop. [especially with padding built into the schedule] Also the weather in MCO is usually less dicey than at JFK.

AA has been running two 763's on the short MIA-MCO route since at least the beginning of 2015, so perhaps Disney, Universal, Darden or another company with a large presence in Orlando uses AA for Cargo.

AA can pick up/drop off cargo on their own flights into MIA as well as other carriers that serve MIA [including some Latin American carriers that only serve MIA].

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 25202935)
Disney and other prominent Orlando companies were mentioned up-thread for cargo ops....

While it is certainly possible for AA's MIA-MCO flights to carry significant cargo, that's probably not why we see widebody flights between the two. Six days a week, AA Cargo runs an overnight truck between MIA and MCO, so unless it's something that has to get there in two hours, I doubt it flies.

https://www.aacargo.com/downloads/sc...ngSchedule.pdf

There have been periods where MIA-MCO was nothing but AB6s, and there were periods where MIA-MCO was nothing but 757s. At other times, several daily 763s. Now, occasional 777s. With hundreds of connecting passengers every day between MIA and MCO, AA flies a lot of seats on this route, sometimes on 777s.

Crazyhotelguy Aug 1, 2015 9:52 am

I have always had a 757 on. This route, but a 777 makes it interesting. ..

AAerSTL Aug 2, 2015 12:07 pm

Aside from a one off substitution (where the local employees take out their phones to capture the moment), MIA hasn't seen scheduled S80 service in more than a decade.