MIA/MCO gets subbed to 777/J sold as F

Old Jul 21, 15, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MIA/MCO gets subbed to 777/J sold as F

FL 2464 MIC/MCO switched from a 32B to a 777. Strange thing is that J is being sold as F (I'm in a J seat). Usually on these types of flights isn't J normally sold as Y? What a shame for a one hour flight.
Old Jul 21, 15, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/RCC, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
What I'm surprised about is that MCO ground staff is actually trained on the 777??!!
Old Jul 21, 15, 7:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Flight 2464 was upgauged to a 2-class 777 with no F cabin. If the J cabin was sold as Y, there would be no premium cabin.

Either way, a lie-flat bed with all-aisle access is still a great upgrade from the recliners on the standard 32B.
Old Jul 22, 15, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1 View Post
What I'm surprised about is that MCO ground staff is actually trained on the 777??!!
Most all the 17 in-house TWU fleet service cities have container handling equipment and employees are able to service the aircraft.
Old Jul 23, 15, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
There go the bright minds of AA using this plane for a 35 minute flight

There are 9 MIA-MCO a day so it's not really a matter of demand. I'm guessing this is the same plane going to GIG every day and this is just a re positioning flight but....MCO?
Old Jul 23, 15, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
It's possible that the plane needs to get to MCO for a charter or something. As for the ground crew, at least British Airways operates a 777 from London-Gatwick already, so MCO is certainly no stranger to 777s.

As for selling J as F — usually, two-class birds will have J as Y for elites/full-fares, while two-class will have J as F. This must be a retrofitted 777, which means there's only two classes.
Old Jul 23, 15, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Originally Posted by roadwarrior84 View Post
There go the bright minds of AA using this plane for a 35 minute flight

There are 9 MIA-MCO a day so it's not really a matter of demand. I'm guessing this is the same plane going to GIG every day and this is just a re positioning flight but....MCO?
777s MIA-MCO, even 77Ds are fairly regular occurrences. There was another case less than two weeks back. The plane would anyway be sitting and if another aircraft goes MX they can easily swap a 777, have reserve crews in MIA and it's a quick turn.

MCO is a mainline fleet service station and does have container handling equipment, along with capable gates.
Old Jul 24, 15, 12:28 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker View Post
... so MCO is certainly no stranger to 777s.
Indeed!

In February this year, I flew on a DL flight on MCO-ATL that had an equipment swap from a 767 to a 777.

It was a sweet ride in First!
Old Jul 24, 15, 12:39 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
The plane would anyway be sitting and if another aircraft goes MX they can easily swap a 777, have reserve crews in MIA and it's a quick turn.
Precisely.

AA can do a quick turn on the plane and rather fly it to say JFK for aircraft utilization sake, it's less of a gamble for AA to fly a quick MIA-MCO. Especially with the dicey weather, and ATC delays that JFK has.

Even if weather were to pop up, a delay is more manageable on a quick MIA-MCO hop. [especially with padding built into the schedule] Also the weather in MCO is usually less dicey than at JFK.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
MCO is a mainline fleet service station and does have container handling equipment, along with capable gates.
AA has been running two 763's on the short MIA-MCO route since at least the beginning of 2015, so perhaps Disney, Universal, Darden or another company with a large presence in Orlando uses AA for Cargo.

AA can pick up/drop off cargo on their own flights into MIA as well as other carriers that serve MIA [including some Latin American carriers that only serve MIA].
Old Jul 24, 15, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Actually it was a 773. Previous flight to MCO was canceled and AA was trying to get impacted paxs to MCO. FAs were so lazy no PDBs or any beverage service in the air. J sold as F.
Old Jul 24, 15, 5:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Actually it was a 773. Previous flight to MCO was canceled and AA was trying to get impacted paxs to MCO. FAs were so lazy no PDBs or any beverage service in the air. J sold as F.
According to AA Cargo it was a "B777-200-IGW", which is the same thing as a 777-200ER. What is your source? I couldn't find anything anywhere else referencing a 777 at all, so clearly my sleuthing skills aren't so hot...
Old Jul 24, 15, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
According to AA Cargo it was a "B777-200-IGW", which is the same thing as a 777-200ER. What is your source? I couldn't find anything anywhere else referencing a 777 at all, so clearly my sleuthing skills aren't so hot...
http://www.flightradar24.com/flight/aa2464 2015-07-21
Old Jul 24, 15, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
Originally Posted by ShortDog View Post
That's showing a 777-200
Old Jul 27, 15, 12:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
It was a 2-class 772 but the interior was similar to a 77W because of a new product.
Old Jul 27, 15, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
It was a 2-class 772 but the interior was similar to a 77W because of a new product.
Out of curiosity; you don't mean to imply that there's a 772 floating around that's been equipped with 773 (Cirrus) J-seats as opposed to the 77D ("concept-D"/ fore/aft AA design) J-seats, by any chance?

I'm sure I'm misinterpreting that/ reading it wrong, just wanted to make sure! That this is a regular post-CIP 772 w/ the fore/aft seats (N756AM 7BR)

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 27, 15 at 8:10 am

Search this Thread